Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Yes, I also wonder how this just now came to light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM

Cobb budget gap closed without shutting libraries *| ajc.com

Cobb County Commissioners passed a mid-year budget revision Tuesday that requires furlough days and across-the-board cuts for county departments, but keeps libraries open.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM

276 posts, read 430,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Shoot.
If they are not, we truly are about to move to a sh**ty place despite all the hype. Oh, East Cobb...East Snob...oh, the awesomeness of schools, oh the greatness of the area, oh the emphasis on ejuhkhation!
Oh how "upper-middle" class of everybody!

BS.

Any TRULY upper-middle to upper class person is also an educated person; and educated persons are usually voracious readers whose appetites for books can hardly be satisfied even by the highest of incomes or the largest of book-shelves in the home.
Educated people VALUE public libraries people.
Well-endowed public libraries.

It is a complete disgrace for East Cobb that they would allow themselves to sink that low. I am afraid it would just go to show who they really are: people with a bit of extra money who associate "education" with being able to buy big a** stuff. That would spell "HARDLY educated".

If East Cobb residents were 10% of who they fancy themselves to be, they would raise HELL on Earth for having their public libraries closed.

We are about to leave Massachusetts...but one thing I will miss tremendously is their incredible public libraries as well as their deep seated belief that money MUST BE found to fund public libraries SOLIDLY, come H or H water, huge taxes or not.
This is a GROSS generalization. I am a voracious reader as well - I probably go through 4 books a week - and I don't use the public libraries. Mostly, because I have never found one here that matched the quality of the one where I'm from in Connecticut, but I digress.

However, I would also be willing to pay more taxes to save the libraries. Just because I do not use them, does not mean I do not see the value the serve for others.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't believe this is a partisan issue. If you choose not to value education, then so be it.

Condescend much?

Here's a tip...teh interwebz, smartphones & items such as the Kindle have rendered libraries almost useless.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Condescend much?

Here's a tip...teh interwebz, smartphones & items such as the Kindle have rendered libraries almost useless.
Yes, because we all know that kids, the elderly, and the impoverished have data plans and kindles. One of the most common library activities at present is computer usage for job searches. I know it's a shock, but libraries are there for all to use.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I disagree. Every time I go to the library they are packed. Libraries do a lot more than shelve books, too. They host community meetings. They afford web access to many who don't have it. They provide research and study facilities that go vastly beyond what you can do online. They loan movies and music. They host art exhibitions. They have author forums. They often house other services, such as ESL classes, GED programs, poetry workshops, and the Cooperative Extension Service.

Not to mention the basic fact that they are repositories of knowledge which encourage people to read and study, and provide a quiet, contemplative space for the community.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I disagree. Every time I go to the library they are packed. Libraries do a lot more than shelve books, too. They host community meetings. They afford web access to many who don't have it. They provide research and study facilities that go vastly beyond what you can do online. They loan movies and music. They host art exhibitions. They have author forums. They often house other services, such as ESL classes, GED programs, poetry workshops, and the Cooperative Extension Service.

Not to mention the basic fact that they are repositories of knowledge which encourage people to read and study, and provide a quiet, contemplative space for the community.
I think your views are a bit idealistic. But I agree with everything except research facilities. The only place you'll find real research facilities is in a university library. And even there, much of it is going on-line and Galileo provides Georgians with a good database. Public libraries are good for outdated entertainment material. Libraries are becoming public spaces and offer areas of social outreach. But really, we probably could do with fewer libraries not more. I believe in Fulton County there is a push for 8 new libraries and expansion of 2. No, if anything there should be a contraction and focus the locations to be near public transportation.

And it might take a little longer but I think internet access will be about as common as cable TV or phone service. Pretty much taken for granted everyone has except for the very poor or ultra-technophobic. I've embraced the internet more than ever as I now do most of my phone calls VoIP.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think your views are a bit idealistic.
I'm having trouble figuring out how facts are idealistic.

The only thing idealistic about arjay's post is that sometimes libraries, despite the way they are romanticized, can often get as noisy as a dog kennel thanks to poor parenting.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think your views are a bit idealistic. But I agree with everything except research facilities. The only place you'll find real research facilities is in a university library. And even there, much of it is going on-line and Galileo provides Georgians with a good database.
While Galileo is a great jumping off point and an excellent finding aid, you still have to look way beyond that if you're doing serious research.

Of course the university libraries are very important. But there are also excellent collections at the AFPL downtown, at the Auburn Avenue Research Library and the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. And elsewhere.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out how facts are idealistic.

The only thing idealistic about arjay's post is that sometimes libraries, despite the way they are romanticized, can often get as noisy as a dog kennel thanks to poor parenting.
"Romanticized" pretty much covers it. As is often the case, the vision and reality are at odds. I'll always remember walking into the AFCL main branch and seeing urinal fresheners on the desktops. The place is so depressing.

Government run places that provide public services often look like rat holes. Maybe branches in the more affluent areas look nice but these days a case can be made that it is not needed or can be consolidated into a regional branch. We might be better off spending the money for electronic access rather than bricks and mortar bacteria and virus farms.

We grew up loving libraries so we support them out of habit and even encourage having more but maybe we'd better have an honest reassessment of their usefulness. Perhaps a few large regionals make more sense rather than dozens scattered over the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta