Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I didn't realize that was this weekend. Hopefully the event coordinators have a contract with a reputable hazardous waste removal company, because the state they left the area in is disgraceful.
Isnt the city of Atlanta suppose to clean all the mess??

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
what the government is supposed to do and what it actually has the money to do are 2 different things---that is what i have heard

the bare basics--that is the economic philosophy--equality and justice for all.

try to call Clark Howard and talk to a volunteer--that is what you will be told--find an alternative and pitch in

Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Give me a break...I'm pretty sure people have bodily functions equally across the country.
No kidding, but many cities require that enough portable toilet facilities be made available to the public by those hosting an event. Don't be an ass.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
It's part of the urban experience for people to want to party and when that happens you're going to have a mess. Cleaning up the debris is simply a normal taxpayer expense. No doubt most of the people who attended this event are city of Atlanta taxpayers themselves.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Considering the ENORMOUS crowd that attended this festival and the fact that it lasted until 9pm, I can understand why the street is still a mess. It was a virtual sea of people from Courtland to Boulevard. It'll probably take a couple days to get things back to normal.
Word!
It was a cool event. One thing I do want to say is the crowd was peaceful. No crazy drama at all for the few hours we was there. Id rather co sign the dirty streets than to have drama. So
if a fun event leads to just dirty streets, I say keep em coming!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
The problem with this mess is that it isn't just garbage or urine puddles, it's a layer of black sludge that blankets two+ blocks worth of Auburn Ave (and much of the surrounding sidewalks). Cleaning this up is going to require more than just a street sweeper and one of those vacuum buggies the Ambassador Force rides around in. The street pavers, which are usually a light brown/grey color, are now black as tar. To bring this street back to the way it was pre-festival will require, at the very least, a lot of power washing and chemicals.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A Music Midtown when it didn't rain? I don't think anyone has ever seen that!
In 01 it held off the whole weekend (I think, my memory is a bit hazy due the consumption of large amounts of certain "beverages" and "plants"). I know for certain on Saturday that year, I baked away the entire day in front of the 99x stage on the old SciTrek/Civic Center parking lot in the blazing sun waiting for No Doubt and Oasis to go on (dating myself here). The smell of that crowd combined with the smell of porta pottys and whatever was on the ground almost got the best of me...but Gwen Stefani in a sports bra was worth the wait.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I disagree. There are many cities in this country where the above is far more unlikely than in this city.

When enough people accept this behavior, it becomes acceptable behavior.
Any thing that draws a crowd this large is going to leave a mess, no matter where it is or who attends it. I honestly haven't seen the aftermath but I went through there yesterday and the amount of people and vendors was crazy.

It sucks that there's still a mess but according to the website, the event lasted at least until 9pm last night. You can't expect it to be ****-n-span overnight.

I've also heard horror stories about the aftermath of UGA football games.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I guess you never seen the streets after a Music Midtown when it didn't rain. Standing pools of beer, vomit, and urine (as well as other various pieces of trash) weren't uncommon. Even the bums at the Pine Street shelter made a point of going elsewhere during those days.
I went to Music Midtown the last 4 years it was around. Within the concert, I never had a problem finding a place to urinate and they always had enough porter-pottys. No body peed on Pine St. as they were walking from MARTA. My friend tried and almost arrested. I really don't think standing pools of urine was widespread.

Quote:
That should tell you something.
No, that doesn't tell me something. Music Midtown was a concert in a park that people paid money to attend (a lot of which was spent cleaning up), while this is a free street festival.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Any thing that draws a crowd this large is going to leave a mess, no matter where it is or who attends it. I honestly haven't seen the aftermath but I went through there yesterday and the amount of people and vendors was crazy.

It sucks that there's still a mess but according to the website, the event lasted at least until 9pm last night. You can't expect it to be ****-n-span overnight.

I've also heard horror stories about the aftermath of UGA football games.
Yeah, and the result was banning tailgating on North Campus. UGA wouldn't let this type of b.s. go unpunished. Athens was spotless the Sunday morning after Panic in the Streets, when 100,000 hippies descended on downtown and partied until 2 AM. Why can't Springfest get its **** together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta