Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,099,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Me neither. I'm sure they're out there somewhere. I just haven't hit the right search terms yet.
If there is a will - there is a way Several sites that I came across were not archived and thus not accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:04 PM

16,717 posts, read 29,571,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I like everything but the one in bold above. Are they serious? I mean really, do they expect a high profile district in the middle of the city to not have a single club? How would they even try to accomplish that?
Agreed.

Atlanta/Many Atlantans have a very irrational attitude towards nightlife, nightclubs, and bars.

And it is the vibrancy/dynamism of this great city that ends up being the ultimate loser.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,718,724 times
Quote:
Bingo. Why not just work on the relationships with the clubs and partner with the police instead of just kicking them out. Not that they could do that legally without passing a city ordinance anyway.
Didn't they just cancel the lease on one of these "nightclubs?"

That's what the residents want, I suppose.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,750 times
Quote:
I like everything but the one in bold above. Are they serious? I mean really, do they expect a high profile district in the middle of the city to not have a single club? How would they even try to accomplish that?
They can accomplish that because they are the landlords. Atlantic Station might claim to be a natural extension of the urban fabric, but it is in reality a shopping center. Shopping centers are privately owned and managed entities. If the owners of Atlantic Station do not want night clubs, it is within their rights not to allow them. I don't know the logisitics of existing leases, but it's my understanding that they will be broken if the need exists.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,750 times
Also, I could not find a rendering of the unbuilt 17th Street Bridge. It was to be designed by the architect Santiago Calatrava.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM

166 posts, read 326,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
They can accomplish that because they are the landlords. Atlantic Station might claim to be a natural extension of the urban fabric, but it is in reality a shopping center. Shopping centers are privately owned and managed entities. If the owners of Atlantic Station do not want night clubs, it is within their rights not to allow them. I don't know the logisitics of existing leases, but it's my understanding that they will be broken if the need exists.
The privately-owned nature of AS is both impressive and an impediment. I think it's really impressive to have watched this huge, reasonably attractive mini-city rise up over the years under private ownership (momentarily putting aside the city-funded clean up effort). But it's also got kind of a strange feeling to it -- Cliff Bostock in Creative Loafing called it a shopping mall with built-in customers and it does sometimes feel like that rather than like a natural extension of Midtown.

For me, what might make the difference is if there was a city park with the usual playground and grills nearby and also if there was a library and post office. Those are the kind of public, shared spaces that could give the whole thing more of an organic, neighborhood feel.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
Isn't late night partying and its associated behaviors something you'd want to leave to the residents and businesses in Atlantic Station? Maybe that's simply not part of their vision for their community.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 PM

864 posts, read 1,124,904 times
Atlanta just hates clubs/bars. I guess people are supposed to meet up at on the internet for drinks or a mcmasion out in Duluth.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,845,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Atlanta just hates clubs/bars. I guess people are supposed to meet up at on the internet for drinks or a mcmasion out in Duluth.
I guess thats what they expect. You even see it on here some of the people that are against bars and clubs. Its silly I guess there supposed to sit at hooters all night

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,317,243 times
Why is Atlanta's only answer to crime and such always closing clubs and bars and rolling back hours etc. They need to step up and just have a better police presence and also encourage club/bar owners to set a standard for their establishment. I can remember when the ATL club/bar scene was one of the hottest in the country prior to 2004. Now it barely stands up to what a lot of other cities have to offer. Nightlife is what attracts people. ATL needs to bring its soul back. There is a responsible way to do so. City officials need to stop being lazy about it and put some effort into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta