Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the Atlantic Station area, however this sounds like a positive change in the right direction.

Ten Point Plan for Atlantic Station

http://midtown.patch.com/articles/ten-point-plan-for-atlantic-station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I don't know much about the Atlantic Station area, however this sounds like a positive change in the right direction.

Ten Point Plan for Atlantic Station

http://midtown.patch.com/articles/te...lantic-station
I would to see more "mom and pop" shops and local businesses rather than all the cookie cutter mega stores. I think that the management company is moving in the right direction.

Atlantic Station could and should be a destination place for the locals and tourists.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
George, I totally agree. I would also like to see more mom and pop shops at Atlantic Station and midtown as well as -- along with direct access by a MARTA bus or train.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
George, I totally agree. I would also like to see more mom and pop shops at Atlantic Station and midtown as well as -- along with direct access by a MARTA bus or train.
My sister has a floral shop at the base of the Twelve Hotel but other than her shop, I can't think of any non-chain stores in Atlantic Station.

The biggest mistake with Atlantic Station was not having MARTA or some type of mass transit for it.

The second biggest mistake was the 17th Street Bridge. There were so many cool renderings that could have made it iconic but instead we got something boring

Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
The second biggest mistake was the 17th Street Bridge. There were so many cool renderings that could have made it iconic but instead we got something boring
Can you post a link, or some images of these renderings? I remember seeing a couple years ago, but I can't remember them and it'd be fun and/or maddening to see them again.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
1. Listen – we are seeking the input of the Midtown community to identify retailer and restaurant preferences, in addition to preferred event programming and other experiential aspects.

2. Improve public safety - working in collaboration with the leadership of Midtown Blue, we will emulate the public safety program that makes Midtown residents feel comfortable and safe in our community.

3. Fix the parking – we have begun installation of a completely redesigned wayfinding and lighting system to make our parking deck more user-friendly.

4. Get the word out – our Digital Outreach platform has been designed to provide Midtown residents with up-to-the-minute information about events and specials.

5. Close the nightclubs – late night partying and associated behaviors are not a part of our vision and we have taken steps to assure a comfortable and friendly atmosphere, closing the nightclubs.

6. Meet the market – we recognize that the current retail and restaurant lineup does not resonate with the community and we are in the process of retooling the offering to respond to what we hear.

7. Go local – the feedback we’ve received to date indicates a strong preference for local operators, so we are reaching out to chef-driven restaurants and owner operated boutiques.

8. Reach out – we have established relationships with our Midtown neighbors, seeking to explore synergies with SCAD, Georgia Tech, Piedmont Park and Woodruff Arts Center.

9. Reprogram public spaces – Food Truck Fridays, 1/2 Street Market, Movies in the Park and other programs are the beginning of our reimagined uses of our public space.

10.Introduce non-traditional uses – whether it is classroom space, TV studios or film production, we are exploring options to expand our reach to the community and attract positive energy to the property.
I like everything but the one in bold above. Are they serious? I mean really, do they expect a high profile district in the middle of the city to not have a single club? How would they even try to accomplish that?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I like everything but the one in bold above. Are they serious? I mean really, do they expect a high profile district in the middle of the city to not have a single club? How would they even try to accomplish that?
lol it sounds like a good plan until they close em and then realize that those same places were some of the main reasons so much revenue was made there.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
lol it sounds like a good plan until they close em and then realize that those same places were some of the main reasons so much revenue was made there.
Bingo. Why not just work on the relationships with the clubs and partner with the police instead of just kicking them out. Not that they could do that legally without passing a city ordinance anyway.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Can you post a link, or some images of these renderings? I remember seeing a couple years ago, but I can't remember them and it'd be fun and/or maddening to see them again.
I can't seem to find them

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I can't seem to find them
Me neither. I'm sure they're out there somewhere. I just haven't hit the right search terms yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta