Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
DFW just passed up Atlanta for largest numeric growth since 2000 (by 2008 estimates). Now, the DFW MSA has gained more population than any other MSA in the United States.

For population growth since 2000 by MSA (that have had more than 1 million new residents since 2000):

1) Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington: 1,138,462
2) Atlanta/Marietta/Sandy Springs: 1,112,999
3) Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale: 1,030,023
4) Houston/Galveston/Baytown: 1,012,736
I meant to say for the year 2007-2008; that's why I posted the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I meant to say for the year 2007-2008; that's why I posted the video.
No, I wasnt correcting you. I knew what you were talking about. I just put the stats out from 2000 to add to it.

Youre all good bro.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,808 times
I lived in Atlanta 2 years. While still single I decided to check Houston out. I ended up getting married here and have been stuck here for 16 years. I have regretted moving from Atlanta to Houston pretty much the whole time I've been here. Houston seems like a concret jungle. The weather in summer is unbearable. The closest we come to mountains are bridges crossing the Houston Ship Channel. I think Houston is where the expression was coined "When it rains it pours" because there's no such thing as a drizzle in Houston, and when it rains, it floods even after months of drought.

Houston is also the only place where I have my windshield wipers on while wearing my sunglasses. Atlanta seemed to me a much cleaner place, more outdoor activities and places to go, and there's no comparison to the scenery. There are certain areas of Houston where you can find some green spots with nice trees, but in general most areas seem like a desert wasteland. Go south of Houston to the Rosenberg area and try finding some shade there.

I'm starting to get restless here in Houston, and you can be sure I'll be jumping at any possibility of moving back to Atlanta.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM

13 posts, read 44,609 times
Both houston and atlanta are great cities. But houston gets more weather challenges, I believe.. thunder storms, hurricanes.. etc.

Atlanta has georgia Tech which is a great school... But it comes down to personal choice.. I guess..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
I've lived in both cities. I was in Houston for almost 10 years while attending, then working at, Rice University. Now I have lived in Atlanta for 13 years. Atlanta wins hands down. Houston's weather is utterly miserable in the summer. From the middle of May to the end of August the climate is consistently near 100 degrees with around 90% humidity. Every day. Forget doing anything outdoors during the summer. All the businesses keep their thermostats set at 68 degrees so you're either roasting outside or freezing inside.

About the only thing I miss from Houston is the BBQ.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I would say Houston. Give Houston some shine. I can't wait until Atlanta's shine turns dull so that another city can get it. Like I said a while back, people need to see other cities' opportunities and abilities instead of quickly jumping to move to Atlanta. FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fine other citites to move to, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville, and even Birmingham. Many people need to start adding other cities in their relocation plans instead of Atlanta. I'm tired of hearing, "I wanna move to Atlanta." There several cities in the US that are much better than Atlanta and have way more opportunities than Atlanta. Because Atlanta is so darn huge in turns of economy, it suffers more because large corporations may close or downsize. Isn't Atlanta the "hub of the South?" It won't last long because you have cities like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Miami, New Orleans, Birmingham, and Nashville who are doing pretty well. I would pick Houston because it seems to have a nice job market that is almost recession proof. Atlanta's job market is sort of failing simply do to it's status in the South...."THE HUB."

Why are you liked that toward Atlanta. Its not Atlanta fault that people are wanting to live here and corparations are relocating here.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Of course I am going to say Atlanta, but I dig Houston, Houston is actually on my short list of places other than Atlanta I could live in- Houston, DC, and if I was rich South Beach .........

Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM

648 posts, read 1,422,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Of course I am going to say Atlanta, but I dig Houston, Houston is actually on my short list of places other than Atlanta I could live in- Houston, DC, and if I was rich South Beach .........
I'm with you on that

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I've lived in both cities. I was in Houston for almost 10 years while attending, then working at, Rice University. Now I have lived in Atlanta for 13 years. Atlanta wins hands down. Houston's weather is utterly miserable in the summer. From the middle of May to the end of August the climate is consistently near 100 degrees with around 90% humidity. Every day. Forget doing anything outdoors during the summer. All the businesses keep their thermostats set at 68 degrees so you're either roasting outside or freezing inside.

About the only thing I miss from Houston is the BBQ.
Sigh, yes the food was quite good. I miss Tex Mex.

I think some people's opinions may be based on what areas of Houston and Atlanta you're comparing. For both, I live(d) in the Northern burbs. What I liked about Houston burbs were the subdivisions that had lakefront(?) properties, where you could sit out in the backyard, grill, and hop on a small boat and just enjoy the evening breeze (assuming there WAS one in the summer). Aesthetically, I think The Woodlands far exceeds anything I've seen in ATL.

As for commuting, I found evenings on I-45N from 59 going north up to the I-10 and 610 loop (especially around Westheimer and Post Oak) to be a completely different beast from Atl traffic. Not necessarily worse, just different. I have seriously wanted to shoot myself near the Westheimer exit.

The other thing to keep in mind with Houston is the flooding. Depending on where you live, there were quite a few days where I either couldn't or wouldn't go to work, yet there were always some idiots on the news stalled out in 3 feet of water.

But I miss waking up and randomly saying, let's go to the beach.

I loved the area of Houston I was in, and I love the area of Atlanta I'm in now.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I would say Houston. Give Houston some shine. I can't wait until Atlanta's shine turns dull so that another city can get it. Like I said a while back, people need to see other cities' opportunities and abilities instead of quickly jumping to move to Atlanta. FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fine other citites to move to, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Nashville, and even Birmingham. Many people need to start adding other cities in their relocation plans instead of Atlanta. I'm tired of hearing, "I wanna move to Atlanta." There several cities in the US that are much better than Atlanta and have way more opportunities than Atlanta. Because Atlanta is so darn huge in turns of economy, it suffers more because large corporations may close or downsize. Isn't Atlanta the "hub of the South?" It won't last long because you have cities like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Miami, New Orleans, Birmingham, and Nashville who are doing pretty well. I would pick Houston because it seems to have a nice job market that is almost recession proof. Atlanta's job market is sort of failing simply do to it's status in the South...."THE HUB."
Houston does not need any help,its can do fine by itself.This is so silly.!Why does one city have to do poorly for another one to do well?Can't more than one do well which they are?You expect Atlanta to stand still while the other cities move as well?Houston and Dallas are growing in some cases more than Atlanta and they are bigger.You sound like someone holding a grudge.Your assertion that Houston is not recession proof is laughable.Atlanta has been hit harder but not by much.Houston is not recession proof.D.C.is about as recession proof as it gets.All those cities you mention are doing as bad or worse.A business closes, another one takes its place.Yeh there are cities with more opportunity.Its the package ,not just the whole opportunity.I would love to have a job paying 200,000 a year but what good is it if I'm in freakin B'ham?(nice city,just not my cup of tea).There are people flocking to NYC and Chicago too,all for opportunity.No matter where you move,as long as you have realistic expectation(which if that is what you are saying,I agree)of what things are,then move wherever fits you best.It's all about researching your options for what is the best fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta