Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM

199 posts, read 178,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
And????

SO the choices right now without these illegal immigrants areeee...

1) People (U.S. Citizens) work these jobs and get DECENT money vs 50 cents an hour.........ORRR
2)we get criminals to do it for free(or almost free) instead of lazing around in prison with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs and wait for their next meal.......which happens to be better than the average school child's cafeteria lunch btw

sounds like a winner in both cases...I'm sure if the South could survive without Black Slaves they can certainly manage without their lil' Illegal Latin Slaves hopping the border.....If these people want to come here they should go the LEGAL route so they can stop burdening taxpayers and also not have to go through such harsh conditions( and illegal pay) to even make a life here.....

If someone brings up the fact that Americans were immigrants...yeah that was CENTURIES ago, before the U.S. population exploded and people were fighting for jobs, a decent/affordable place to live,and not dealing with rising prices of food/gas, etc...........Either we need to take care of our own or else we're just going to be the World's Nanny when we don't have the infrastructure to support that.....seriously
The bottom line is it's apparent by the lack of people rushing for these open jobs that Americans don't want them. They rather live of the state or family members/freinds. What now? I thought you guys said Americans are so out of work they would love those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
The bottom line is it's apparent by the lack of people rushing for these open jobs that Americans don't want them. They rather live of the state or family members/freinds. What now? I thought you guys said Americans are so out of work they would love those jobs.
I tend to agree. If Georgians were willing to do this work those 11,000 jobs would have been filled by now but like the article says "They’ll get no unemployment, no insurance and most of them aren’t going to be farm workers long term.” So what incentive is there for somebody on probation to go work on farms?

I'm not advocating illegal immigration but it seems Georgia should have thought about the economic impact this law would have had on it's agricultural businesses first and then work out a solution to replace those workers who were illegal.

Instead the anti illegal fervor took precendence. It seems that Georgia shot it self in the foot by hastily passing this bill.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I tend to agree. If Georgians were willing to do this work those 11,000 jobs would have been filled by now but like the article says "They’ll get no unemployment, no insurance and most of them aren’t going to be farm workers long term.” So what incentive is there for somebody on probation to go work on farms?

I'm not advocating illegal immigration but it seems Georgia should have thought about the economic impact this law would have had on it's agricultural businesses first and then work out a solution to replace those workers who were illegal.

Instead the anti illegal fervor took precendence. It seems that Georgia shot it self in the foot by hastily passing this bill.

They need to put bored teens to work. Instead of spending the summer breaking into neighbors' houses, they should be sent to the farms to work. Pay them, house them and put them to work.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
If the unions were introduced to the farm industry, I bet there would be a lot more Americans willing to hit the fields. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
If the unions were introduced to the farm industry, I bet there would be a lot more Americans willing to hit the fields. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, though.
True.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM

188 posts, read 594,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Surely we Georgians are still capable of getting our crops out of the ground. We have been an agricultural state for 250 years.
With all due respect, arjay, our agriculture was based on slavery, and once slavery ended, indentured servitude. Then, when African Americans started moving out of the south from World War I through the 1970s, the workers that replaced them were Mexican and South American immigrants.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
If these people want to come here they should go the LEGAL route so they can stop burdening taxpayers and also not have to go through such harsh conditions( and illegal pay) to even make a life here.....
The US Government has made the legal route nearly impossible for these types of workers. They want to work and they are willing to work jobs that (clearly) most citizens don't want. It should be easier for them to work those jobs legally.

Quote:
If someone brings up the fact that Americans were immigrants...yeah that was CENTURIES ago, before the U.S. population exploded and people were fighting for jobs, a decent/affordable place to live,and not dealing with rising prices of food/gas, etc.........
And that is exactly the point: people in the US aren't fighting for these jobs. No one wants them. Except those who are here illegally as an act of desperation (because as bad as our 10% unemployment is, it is still far far better than the country they came from). We have jobs no one here wants. They are willing to work those jobs. The government (federal in this case) should be an enabler and not a hindrance.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresninas View Post
With all due respect, arjay, our agriculture was based on slavery, and once slavery ended, indentured servitude. Then, when African Americans started moving out of the south from World War I through the 1970s, the workers that replaced them were Mexican and South American immigrants.
Well, I understand what you're saying, Tresninas. Plantation agriculture was certainly based on slavery, but there's a whole lot more to Georgia's agricultural history than that.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
I said this would happen weeks ago. Americans have too much pride to get out there and slave in that sun all day for low wages.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The day labor companies will probably send workers to the fields.. Many people just getting out of jail or have issue with getting work work for many of those companies...Contact your local Labor Ready agency..

As for people not wanting the jobs how many of you would do that type of work? I would think most people posting are not business owners so they are apt to go to work tomorrow and be laid off.. Then what? If your unemployment was more than what they paid would you give up unemployment..Let the congregation say Hell No you wouldn't..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta