Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM

197 posts, read 515,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post

Mexico treats illegal immigrants in its midst harshly - San Bernardino County Sun

Activists blast Mexico's immigration law - USATODAY.com

Anyone who has traveled extensively to Latin America and spent a lot of time there knows this but you will rarely find this truth in the U.S. mainstream media. You do not want to get caught as an illegal immigrant in any of the Latin American countries. They have absolute zero tolerance when it comes to illegal immigration and Mexico is the harshest in all of the Americas.

Last edited by DreamKeeper; 06-14-2011 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Mexico might treat illegal immigrants badly (they do LOTS of things badly down there), but its immigration regime for legal immigration/visa is way, way less intense than America's. If you want to know how difficult it is for people to come to America, try going to a country with visa reciprocity, like Brazil. It totally sucks.

I know most anti-immigrant types probably just use their passports to go to the Bahamas or whatever, but anyone who travels extensively knows how crappy it is to have an American passport, mainly because countries punish America for having such strict visa policies. Oh, and I better not hear any complaining when we fail to win yet another Olympics or World Cup or anything else that's selected by global committee.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 AM

194 posts, read 618,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
You don't know what you're talking about dude. Mexico has the strictest immigration policies in North America. Ask any Guatemalan who's been caught sneaking into Mexico. They will beat the living daylights out of you and throw you into a roach infested jail cell until they're able to deport you. They have a zero tolerance policy for illegal immigrants in Mexico.
The person to whom I was responding was writing from an annoyed Southerner's point of view and mentioned perceived hardships 'sneaking into Mexico'.

It's quite a stretch to turn that into that OP representing the plight of the Central American who attempts to slip through Mexico.

However, if anyone has a genuine interest in that subject here is a good documentary: Which Way Home

Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
AJC reports that the state has 11,080 farm job openings. The survey, commissioned by the Governor's office, didn't mention illegal immigration or our new law. The governor offered to send probationers to fill the openings.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
AJC reports that the state has 11,080 farm job openings. The survey, commissioned by the Governor's office, didn't mention illegal immigration or our new law. The governor offered to send probationers to fill the openings.
I see it as positive that we're apparently slowly increasing truthfulness around this issue. Prior to the new law, it appeared that all the farmers, restaurants, landscapers etc. claimed that their employees were all legal, and much of the public believed that illegal immigrants just come here and collect welfare dollars from American taxpayers.

We seem to now be getting some acknowledgement that most of the people who've picked Georgia's crops in recent years did not have legal status, and since the new law is scaring off the illegals, the farmers have a labor shortage. This isn't a good situation, but at least we may be inching toward grappling with the realities of the illegal immigration problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I still think it's a terrific opportunity for unemployed Georgians. We're an agricultural state by tradition and this gives folks a chance to earn an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. It's not high status but it sure beats sitting around doing nothing.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I still think it's a terrific opportunity for unemployed Georgians. We're an agricultural state by tradition and this gives folks a chance to earn an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. It's not high status but it sure beats sitting around doing nothing.
Arjay- I tend to agree with you in pricipal. I'm just not so sure how realistic it is for folks, say, in the metro Atlanta area, to be expected drive to South Georgia to work 12 hour days and then return home. Most of the farms are not set up with dormitory style housing. I know, the illegal workers had to live somewhere, you're right. Many lived in their vehicles, in dilapidated trailers (often in way crowded conditions), etc. I just don't think too many folks will opt for that. And the probationer thing that the Gov. devised - "Well, son, why were you in the pokey?" "I robbed and beat me up some farmer back in '98." "Okay, welcome, but you've got to work the onion fields instead of the tomato fields." I don't think Deal thought that one out very well.

Of course, this could be solved if the farmers built housing for the temporary works, but for the most part, the farmers often times just eek out a living as it is.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM

63 posts, read 141,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
You don't know what you're talking about dude. Mexico has the strictest immigration policies in North America. Ask any Guatemalan who's been caught sneaking into Mexico. They will beat the living daylights out of you and throw you into a roach infested jail cell until they're able to deport you. They have a zero tolerance policy for illegal immigrants in Mexico.

And testa (I think is your screen name) I knew what you meant by shameful. My post back was confusing I guess and not how I wanted it to come across. I'm at work and sometimes get sidetracked or go to fast lol.

Look, I don't want to **** anyone off but I see this everyday and I think it is a problem. I have went to city meetings and proud to say that I was involved in the law that Canton has now about charging landlords that rent to illegals or have more than the amount allowed to live in a house.

This is not a "Southern" thing so don't turn it into racism. Everyone should be concerned about it.

AND I'm a woman! I seen where some of you said he! Just thought I would let ya know!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Yesterday I went online to the DEFACS website for Cherokee County to read about food stamps. I know plenty of people that get them illegally and don't think for a minute I don't report it. I work every damn day in the county and own property and pay taxes. It said that if you are an illegal immigrant you are still entitled to some benefits. That is crazy!!!

This is what happens when you cross over to Mexico illegally.
If you cross the Mexican border illegally, you will be thrown into a political prison to rot (truthalliance.net)

This is what illegals get when they cross over to the USA illegally.
1. and the right to carry your country’s flag while you protest that you don’t get enough respect.
2. A job,
3. a drivers license,
4. a social security card,
5. welfare,
6. food stamps,
7. credit cards,
8. subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house,
9. free education,
10. free health care,
11. a lobbyist in Washington,
12. billions of dollars worth of public documents printed in your language,

Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM

I'm all for sending prisoners or people on probation to the farms to work. Bring back the chain gang!

When my ex-husband was arrested and jailed for meth possession our boys did not receive child support. This way if a prisoner had children, the little money he/she earned in the fields could go to his/her family. No reason why the ex should have gotten to lay around in a cell with 3 hots and a cot for 2 years while I worked 2 jobs to support our boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta