Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I am usually not wrong because I actually think before I post.
That doesn't necessarily mean you're thinking correctly about whatever it is you're posting about. Just saying, "thinking" doesn't exactly equal "correct thinking."

Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Box

382 posts, read 661,540 times
Quote:
It really doesn't matter what has caused Africa's current predicaments, whether it be colonialism or tribalism. What matters is that those problems exist and they likely will not be overcome any time soon. In fact, they will likely get a whole lot worse due to the demographic title wave that is projected to hit Africa.
It does matter to a small extent because what caused the problems allows people to learn from what went wrong in the past, and plan for the future. But as I stated before, you don't know that many of the regions in Africa wo't overcome some of the major problems that they are facing in the near future, just as I don't know that they will. It's all up to the folks over there to make the right decisions, and doing business with cities like ATL seems to be a good decision, especially considering the fact that we have institutions like the CDC and Carter Center. I'm sure after World War II people were writing off parts of Europe and Japan as a lost cause because of the problems that they faced after the war, but they perservered.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM

199 posts, read 178,958 times
Quote:
No, it's not relevant. I have presented cold, hard, economic facts and statistics. Economics is not based on first-hand experience.

You are completely armchairing it. You are ignoring economic facts and statistics and basing your conclusions solely on first-hand experience. Quit while you are ahead. Some secretarial work for South Africa's disease department doesn't prove squat.
You are missing the point if think think all of Aftica is some booming metropolis. The point is that all the economic issues are political and if the people who deal with those governments can see what's go on then they can
predict the directs of it's policies and thus the economic future.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
I cannot fathom why there is any objection to Georgia and Atlanta trying to improve connections with Africa. Just about everybody else in the world is trying to do so -- why would Atlanta be a special case?

Would we even be having this discussion if the topic was "Atlanta and Georgia Look to Strengthen Ties with Asia?" or "Atlanta and Georgia Look to Strengthen Ties with Australia?"

Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I cannot fathom why there is any objection to Georgia and Atlanta trying to improve connections with Africa. Just about everybody else in the world is trying to do so -- why would Atlanta be a special case?

Would we even be having this discussion if the topic was "Atlanta and Georgia Look to Strengthen Ties with Asia?" or "Atlanta and Georgia Look to Strengthen Ties with Australia?"

I'm not sure anyone really disagrees with you. Unfortunately, this thread had devolved into a silly argument where one party thinks his economics degree makes him the Almighty Bruce, and nothing anyone says, not even someone who works FOR the US Government WITH African governments, not EVEN when said person holds a GRADUATE level degree in STATISTICS and has 12 years experience, can offer anything that doesn't prompt a defensive, quite ugly, and bizarrely dismissive response. So, I quit talking about it on this thread. I'd be happy to talk about it offline.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You kill me, the only poster with a agenda is you? and of course this turns into race debate when you step in. Dude….. Black Americans and Blacks Africans don't even get along... failed, and African immigrants have a higher success rate then any race or immigrants group in the US….. failed. Again your mind is in that black vs white crap.

Remember this not about economics or Atlanta become more of a global city to him, it’s about race. So economists are all wrong, and everyone has a agenda because most Africans are black. It's BBC, you got to know how sad this dude world view is, very sad and racist everything is black vs. white.
Are you surprised? This guy reeks of ignorance... Again, I thought he played an idiont online, but he actually is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
but not all Africans are BLACK There are plenty of Africans descended from Europeans and Asians and are just as visible in the diaspora as Black Africans.

Funnily enough, in the current project I am on at work we have brought in several contractors to do some work. Most of them are from overseas (aka India and China lol), with four of them Africa and only one of them is Black. Of the other three of the four people, two are white (one from Zimbabwe and the other from South Africa) and one is Indian from South Africa. They all see themselves as African and I see them as part of the emerging Afropolitan.

Who cares what their skin color is? We want them to bring their knowledge and work ethic to Atlanta as well as their different cultural perspectives.
Well said. I'd love to rep you more, but I have to spread it around. Case in point, my mother is white, S. African. It's sad when people badmouth places they've never been to, or assume things because of what they see on TV. From my experience, TV has never portrayed anything that is not Eurocentric positively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Dude, have you been to any of these places?
This dummy hasn't left Buckhead, let alone GA. At this point, you have to pity the ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
The popcorn is always poppin when BBC comes hahaha
LOL. Never a dull day with that dude. He purposely comes on threads (especially if it's something positive about a black person/topic) to troll. . I'm surprised the 3 other idiots have yet to chyme in. Only a matter of time.

Quote:
I graduated summa *** laude with an economics degree. I know what I am talking about, and I have read more than just "a few selective things."
More like summ(one) Came on you . No matter how many degrees one possesses, it wont erase ignorance and stupidity. You clearly prove it.

Quote:
I am usually not wrong because I actually think before I post. I don't use anecdotal evidence in a discussion about economics.
Are you sure? Your reputation is based on you never thinking before you post. You are notorious for that. I can point you to numerous threads on C/D where your feet met your mouth. Come on dude!!! That's your trademark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Yeah, when entertaining the thoughts of an internet personality that bases his/her handle on a dead suicidal drug addict rock star there's bound to be a load of laughs.
ROFLMAO!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:

No, we wouldn't. Which totally reveals the ultimate root of all the animosity/fear from two posters.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,754 times
Quote:
There is no objection to improving connections with Africa. The objection is to the propaganda that Africa is some sort of economic powerhouse and thus should be a higher priority to Atlanta than Asia. It's simply part of the agenda the creator of this thread pushes at every opportunity in order to preserve Atlanta's fading image as a "black city."

Quote:
Asia, no, Australia or Europe, yes. If Atlanta does not keep up with its counterpart cities in terms of its ties to Asia, it will fall behind. That is not the case when it comes to Australia, Europe, or Africa.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:

It's simply part of the agenda the creator of this thread

The only person pushin' an agenda is you.

And stop trying to use Asia/Asians as a ploy to cover up your racism.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Today's Wall Street Journal, page C14: "Private-Equity Firms Get Started on African Game Hunt". Among other things, it notes investor interest is rising, Sub-Saharan economic growth is forecast at 5.5% for this year, and investment into Africa funds has gone from under $2 billion in '05 to a projected $8 - $10 billion this year. It notes the risks, too: politics, enforcement of legal rights, weak infrastrure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta