Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
So.....who's for school vouchers??
I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The articles/movement you want are out there. Start with the links I posted in post #157. And it is major (especially considering the people, money, power, and proganda that teachers/educators are up against).

Good Luck--and let me know what you think. Then I will introduce you to even more articles/blogs, etc. (I have a "library" of links about the movement).
There are indeed reasons to talk about the failure of urban school systems.

However, it's baloney to claim this somehow justifies or explains the Atlanta cheating scandal. Beverly Hall and her cadre of highly paid administrators were not running a poor urban school system trying to scrape by on inadequate resources. To the contrary, Atlanta has long had the highest per pupil expenditures in the state. Atlanta spends more per pupil than big city systems like L.A and Chicago. APS teachers make excellent salaries and enjoy extremely generous benefits and pensions. Hall herself was paid nearly half a million dollars a year and zipped around in a chauffeured limousine driven by another employee who was paid over $100,000 a year. There are more administrators at APS making over $100,000 than any other system. The APS physical plant is phenomenal and taxpayers have spent over $1 billion dollars on it in the last ten years alone.

What happened at certain APS schools was not the result of being "hoodwinked" or "forced to teach to the test." And it was not carried out by students.

Instead, it was a conscious decision by certain teachers and administrators to forge test answers in order to make them look good. It was solely the act of some individuals, all of whom knew it was wrong and harmful to their students. Yet none of them spoke out about it, until they were caught They made the decision that it was preferable to hang on to their well paid jobs, even though that meant outright cheating. This was active alteration of test answers, not merely turning a blind eye to someone else's transgressions.

That these were individual shenanigans by a relative handful of people is underlined by the fact that in many other APS schools there was no cheating. (In these other schools students and teachers excelled year after year without cheating).

So while Diane Ravitch's arguments about the problems in urban school systems may be important, they don't address the systematic cheating by certain teachers and administrators in the Beverly Hall administration. In Atlanta, city schools have enjoyed immense resources. Some individuals just decided to take a shortcut to make themselves look good.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Oops. Probably not the best way to present yourself as a school board candidate.

The ATL school board candidate with the booty-shaking Facebook page | Political Insider

Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Anything is fair game when running for political office. Mr. Amos shoulda known better. But I guess there's no accounting for common sense.

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oops. Probably not the best way to present yourself as a school board candidate.

The ATL school board candidate with the booty-shaking Facebook page | Political Insider

Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Have we gone too far when we condemn a man for even being friends with a rapper?

Tough Questions for Atlanta school board candidate - CBS Atlanta 46

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Have we gone too far when we condemn a man for even being friends with a rapper?
Yes.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The APS teachers need to put themselves out there & stop hiding behind Maureen Dowd and start getting their hands dirty with reforming Atlanta's education system. There are ways of bypassing the mainstream media & the corporate power structure to bring the message to the masses if folks simply believe in themselves. It has worked in the past with the various civil rights movements, so I don't see any other reason other than apathy & laziness why it can't happen now. There is no other way but that way at this point in time.

Hopefully then, this movement as you point out can move beyond the defensive into the offensive. Even moreso this teacher's movement can hopefully reaffirm to the public the reasons why public education was necessary in the first place.
Acid, it is happening--believe me.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Brother Acid, I thought you might be interested in this article:

Remembering Vito Perrone - Bridging Differences - Education Week

(I posted it publicly so that others could also benefit.)

Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brother Acid, I thought you might be interested in this article:

Remembering Vito Perrone - Bridging Differences - Education Week

(I posted it publicly so that others could also benefit.)
You have to wonder whether Vito Perrone and Deborah Meier would have dealt with the problem by simply erasing student's test answers and writing in new ones, while keeping their activities a secret and continuing to draw cushy paychecks and benefits.

Last edited by arjay57; 09-11-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
This should be required reading for all the players and pimps who are coming to Atlanta. Atlanta welcomes you!
Whats wrong with being a player or a pimp??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta