Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 PM

46 posts, read 200,475 times

Advertisements

Ive been using google maps to look at surrounding areas of neighborhoods of where Im interested in moving to in Smyrna, poss the Mosaic townhome community. One thing that sticks out to me is the intersection of Atlanta Rd and Concord/Spring Road. It shows an empty space, just looks like a big dirt pile. Is that what it looks like or is there actually something there? As well, how is that area in Smyrna, along Spring Road and Atlanta Rd. I see that its in close proximity to the market village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyebeauty View Post
Ive been using google maps to look at surrounding areas of neighborhoods of where Im interested in moving to in Smyrna, poss the Mosaic townhome community. One thing that sticks out to me is the intersection of Atlanta Rd and Concord/Spring Road. It shows an empty space, just looks like a big dirt pile. Is that what it looks like or is there actually something there? As well, how is that area in Smyrna, along Spring Road and Atlanta Rd. I see that its in close proximity to the market village.
There's a big development on the northeast corner of that intersection that was stopped dead in its tracks. Don't know the status.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 AM

470 posts, read 1,278,471 times
there is suppossed to be a publix coming soon on that site

Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 AM

88 posts, read 183,546 times
I would steer clear of Smyrna. Wish I even had that choice. I would never had moved here if I had known what I know now! There is no sense of community, no culture , no artwork, no architecture & no asthetics! To sum it up,... Smyrna is a blighted city,... & it's not going to change any time soon. I have had my home for sale 3 years, close to the Concord Rd./Atlanta Rd. intersection. There is no hope of any new quality development or revitilization in this city. If you want a stable, more vibrant city close to Atlanta, check out Decatur, Roswell, Sandy Springs & D'Woody.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 AM

45 posts, read 125,192 times
Was over in Spring Road/Windy hill area and it looks to be really going down hill. Smyrna tried to do something, but it seems like they lost traction. Not much has happened to the market village since it went in.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM

15 posts, read 36,450 times
I've got to defend my hometown here. Smyrna is a great place to live, raise a family, etc. As far as not being a "community", I'd like to ask ostriches what did you to get involved? Did you attend the events in the Market Village? Did you go to the free concerts on the Village Green? Did you involve yout kids in the various leagues that the city offers? Yup, that's what I thought.

The reason why those developments have stalled is because the anchor to all of them was housing. I'll admit there are more open dirt fields than I'd like to see and I blame the city council for giving out building permits like candy a few years ago, but go look at other cities in the metro area and you'll see the exact same thing. And ostriches, I hate to break it to you, but you got snuckerd by the developer and now you're trying to recoup your loses and blame the city along the way for your misfortunes.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
LMAO @ all of this talk like there's a housing project going up on Spring Rd or something. Are these people serious???

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 36,450 times

Brownhornet-
You’re right. Perhaps I should’ve answered Browneyebeauty’s question, so here we go. BeB, back in 2005 when the housing market was reaching its peak, several developers decided to buy existing shopping complexes in Smyrna and turn them into mix use retail centers much like the current Market Village. Jonquil Plaza, the big dirt pile you see on the map, was the first one of those to be built. There was a lot of press about the forth coming shopping center as it was announced that a Publix was going to be the main tenant. Shortly after construction was started, the Georgia State Supreme court ruled that TAD’s were illegal and couldn’t be used to fund development projects, which is how Jonquil was originally financed. Therefore as a result, construction essentially stopped while the developer tried to secure new financing. It should also be noted that the city and county filed lawsuits against each other over this matter which resulted in the city paying close to 3 million in damages. Flash forward to late 2008 and with the housing fallout the developer went belly up, so Jonquil Plaza sits. See this for the sight plan: http://www.h2realty.com/blog/category/jonquil-plaza/

Moving on to Belmont Hills, at the corner of Windy Hill & Atlanta Road. The complex has really only been an “eye-sore” for the past 10 years. I can remember as a kid back in the mid 80s that it was actually a pretty decent place to shop (along with Rich’s at Cobb Ctr) but when JC Penny & Sears moved out, it went downhill. Jack Halpern, who owns the complex, basically waited to see what would happen with Jonquil Plaza and while waiting, we had the housing fall out. Knowing that financing the project with TAD’s was off the table, the city offered Halpern TIF’s (basically the city will tax the complex at the same rate regardless of value for the next 25 years) and he accepted since he would be on the hook for the money up front. His company demolished the complex and currently the project is hung up in obtaining permits and variances from the city & county. His plans are to only build in stages at what the market can support, which right now is nothing. The big hope with Belmont Hills is that it will revitalize north Smyrna (along the Windy Hill corridor b/t S. Cobb Dr & Atlanta Rd). To see Belmont’s sight plan:
http://www.smyrnavinings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/belmont-hills-site-plan.jpg

The other project that you may see mentioned on these boards is the Four Corners shopping complex. This is at the intersection of S. Cobb and Concord (about ½ mile west of Jonquil) There are four shopping centers that have essentially remained unchanged for as long as I can remember (30 years). The plan is to take the Crossing Shopping Center (North of Concord, West of S. Cobb) and tear it down and build, you guessed it, another mix use. There are been several rumors as to who the anchor tenant will be if the project ever happens. Those have included Wal-Mart, Kroger, & Lowe’s. Across from Crossing is Dickson Shopping Center. Of the four, this is the only one that is 95% occupied and recently underwent a small renovation at the end of 2009. Across Dickson is the current Kroger shopping center. Not going to lie, the center is a dump. Across Concord from Kroger is the former K-Mart shopping center. It’s barely is a step up from Kroger, but just barely. Currently, there is no time line as to when the Four Corner’s project will begin. I would assume it wouldn’t start until after the economy picks up and the other two are complete.

Overall, like I said in my previous post, Smyrna is a great place to live. I’ve seen it go from a blighted city to a very vibrant city that is currently struggling as are other cities in this country. There is no doubt that when things begin to turn around (as an economist as my day job, we’re a long way from that) activity in Smyrna will pick up as well. I am going to ask that you ignore Ostriches. They obviously are living in a fantasy land where everything is rosy and no one is being displaced by the current mess. I would also encourage you BrownEyed, that if do move and become a resident of Smyrna, that you get involved whether civically or whatever suits your fancy. I hope the above has helped and if I’ve made an error, please accept my apologies and post the correct info. -NSG

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM

27 posts, read 153,384 times
I'll jump in on this one as well. Smyrna is a great place to live. Smyrna has even become the model for other newly incorporated cities as they look at how successful Smyrna has been in creating a great community.

In terms of the developments, jonquil village was initially stalled by the fight over tax incremental financing and by the time Georgia voters agreed to allow it, commercial financing disappeared everywhere, not just in Smyrna.

Belmont hills is attempting a phase in project, basically saving the condos, townhomes and single family homes for last. Expect this project to make headway before the others. Jonquil's plan may be the hardest as the condos were going to be above the retail space, so it's not a plan that could be phased in.

Four corners - northwest corner to be developed. City has approved plans for 3rd largest super kroger in country to go in there. Now they're just hunting for financing. But without a residential component, I expect this to leapfrog jonquil.

Also keep on mind that west village and one ivy walk have been very successful mixed use communities built in the last few years. West village does still have a ton of commercial space still available to develop.

Community events are great, lots of unique locally owned restaurants. Silver comet trail starts here and Smyrna invested $25 million into parks over the past five years.

In terms of mosaic at Vinings, I'd caution against it unless you get a true two car garage. Majority are one car or tandem garages and are hard to re-sell. Better opportunities around Smyrna.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdc32 View Post
Was over in Spring Road/Windy hill area and it looks to be really going down hill. Smyrna tried to do something, but it seems like they lost traction. Not much has happened to the market village since it went in.
Yup, it seems like a lot was going on, and then the real estate collapse hit like a ton of bricks and stopped everything in midstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta