Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Why do you babyboomers pick on the Occupy Wall Street protestors for asserting their freedom of speech?
Uh, most of the boomers I know (folks roughly my age) are pro OWS and anti-Tea Party. Of course, most of them in are MN, not GA, which might explain the relative sanity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Anyone who is schooled in the fine arts of nuanced debating & discussions would know that I am not attacking all of the babyboomers. A more objective reading of my previous commentary on the aforementioned issue would suggest as much.

And I say this not to be attacking you personally, so please don't interpret my comments as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Uh, most of the boomers I know (folks roughly my age) are pro OWS and anti-Tea Party. Of course, most of them in are MN, not GA, which might explain the relative sanity...

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-21-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The next time I rip into your generation as a bunch of selfish, do-nothing pampered brats who've feathered their own nests at the expense of everyone else and who've reaped the benefits of countless bloody struggles before them, know that I'm only talking about some of you.

What a major league farce your generation has become! Your hubris is so blatantly apparent in these constant unwarranted denigrations of the your elders.

Thankfully, I am not the only person who see things this way.

You younger ingrates better beware. You guys are growing older and older. You will not always have your health. Your minds and bodies will inevitably give way to atrophy and decay.

When you refuse to honor and invest in the seniors who've taken care of you, it will come back to harm you in so many different & ironically cruel ways. Consider this a Public Announcement from your Brotha in humanity.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 AM

I don't mind the criticism of my generation because it doesn't apply to me. I know that I am of a character and nature that I would do everything I can within my capabilities & time allowed to help my fellow man.

So why would or should I feel affected by the preaching of a random internet personality that I don't even know personally? I would personally feel that I was a weak person morally & spirittually if I let some unknown internet personality get to me far too easily.

I tell you what though:

1. Restore the marginal tax to the extreme wealthy to what it was before that idiot Ronald Reagan got in office

2. Create a Constitutional ban on Corporate personhood

3. Outlaw Corporate lobbyists

4. Ban all Free Trade Agreements with a Constitutional Amendment

5. Get rid of the Federal Reserve Bank

6. Restore the Glass-Steagall/Banking Act of 1933

7. Return to Congress its power to declare War
7a. Flog the next chickenhawk politician who decides on invading a foreign nation based on flimsy reasoning
7b. Pull all of our military bases out of Europe and the Middle East, save for the ones that provide only peactime natural disaster reponse

8. Outlaw oil speculation

9. Give Unions an equal amount of power to bargain as the the corporations for salaries

10. Restore the FCC's power to prevent media companies from becoming anti-democratic monopolies to what is was before that stupid Clintonian Triangulation crap became envogue

If y'all babyboomers can pull your collective heads out of your sphincters to enact at least half of these common sense measures that the rest of the industrial advanced western nations enjoy...Then my respect for you elders will be restored once again. And at that point, I will MORE THAN HAPPY to invest in you seniors.

Because at least then I and others in my generation and the generations to come will actually have the resources to do so!

Just another public service announcement from your Brotha in Humanity the Acid-man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The next time I rip into your generation as a bunch of selfish, do-nothing pampered brats who've feathered their own nests at the expense of everyone else and who've reaped the benefits of countless bloody struggles before them, know that I'm only talking about some of you.

What a major league farce your generation has become! Your hubris is so blatantly apparent in these constant unwarranted denigrations of the your elders.

Thankfully, I am not the only person who see things this way.

You younger ingrates better beware. You guys are growing older and older. You will not always have your health. Your minds and bodies will inevitably give way to atrophy and decay.

When you refuse to honor and invest in the seniors who've taken care of you, it will come back to harm you in so many different & ironically cruel ways. Consider this a Public Announcement from your Brotha in humanity.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-22-2011 at 05:51 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 AM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:

1. Restore the marginal tax to the extreme wealthy to what it was before that idiot Ronald Reagan got in office

Yea, Reagan sure did make a mess of the US, didnt he? Jimmy Carter had it running perfectly before....LOL

2. Create a Constitutional ban on Corporate personhood

Love to hear your definition here. Something about capitalism sucks?

3. Outlaw Corporate lobbyists

Outlaw? Freedom of speech is overrated when not in support of your views, isnt it?

4. Ban all Free Trade Agreements with a Constitutional Amendment

In the land of the Free, we ban "Free Trade". Perfect.

5. Get rid of the Federal Reserve Bank

No real argument here. Along with less government and eradication of entitlements, too!

6. Restore the Glass-Steagall/Banking Act of 1933

Sure, break em up again. Just be aware it wont all be roses...

7. Return to Congress its power to declare War

Congress voted for BOTH Iraq and Afghanistan.

7a. Flog the next chickenhawk politician who decides on invading a foreign nation based on flimsy reasoning

Oh yea, the old "get GWB", a fav of the uber angry left

7b. Pull all of our military bases out of Europe and the Middle East, save for the ones that provide only peactime natural disaster reponse

Sure, China would LOVE this idea.

8. Outlaw oil speculation

More Outlawing. Why not just outlaw all things YOU dont like. Who wouldnt support that notion, as it represents the very ideal of individual freedom as envisoned by our founding fathers (you know, those racist white dudes )

9. Give Unions an equal amount of power to bargain as the the corporations for salaries

Not even sure what this means. White collars employees bargain for their salaries based on their individual net worth. I guess individual union folks are scared of doing that because what they do just isnt worth very much.

10. Restore the FCC's power to prevent media companies from becoming anti-democratic monopolies to what is was before that stupid Clintonian Triangulation crap became envogue

More govt power to control the airwaves. That sure sounds like freedom to me....

Just another rebuttal based on common sense and traditional american values. Now I wait for the snide remark/personal attack. For some its all they got.
ooo

Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Dang, a mosquito bit me. Time for a small dose of repellant.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 PM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Dang, a mosquito bit me. Time for a small dose of repellant.
You cant repel the TRUTH!

(spoken in Mr T voice!) LOL

Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Like almost everyone else in Gen Y, my parents are boomers. But I have to agree that as a whole, boomers are the worst generation in American history. Pushing the U.S. into bankruptcy is just one example of how selfish and incompetent they are. I suppose it makes sense that the country would go to sh*t when a bunch of pot-smoking hippies and draft dodgers are running things.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Occupy Atlanta ordered to clear Woodruff Park *| ajc.com

This is an odd situation. First he(Mayor Reed) told them to be out within a week of the start of the protests. Then he gave them a three week extension. Now he wants them out RIGHT NOW. Sounds like he's pitching a temper tantrum because the concert went ahead without a permit. I'm not even sure what that has to do with OA anyway.

I say let 'em stick around. It actually makes that part of town interesting for a change.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
ooo

Not even sure what this means. White collars employees bargain for their salaries based on their individual net worth. I guess individual union folks are scared of doing that because what they do just isnt worth very much.
Oh, man, just quit f'ing talking. I'm not going to even respond to the rest of your obviously Fox-News Agenda-Speak, because that's all it is.

But seriously, what makes you think that the "common working man" isn't of any value to even a huge company. Those companies would be NOWHERE without the people working for them. You and your right-wing bed buddies seem to think that the only people required to make a company successful are the CEO and a small handful of overpaid executives. I'd like to see some CEO out on the shop floor trying to do what half of their "bad union" employees do. Most of them probably can't do any of it...value indeed. Yet somehow they are seen as 300 or more times as valuable. How valuable will they be when their employees decide to not work for their crap wages?

The problem is that the guy on the shop floor really has no room to bargain, because it's been made apparent that he is worth nothing. I fail to see how a group of people protecting their own wages is somehow seen as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta