Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
Why would any man want to WASTE money taking women out on dates in this economy when many of these women will come over to his house on the first date and give him what he wants...
You are not a woman???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

221 posts, read 431,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Google it. Numerous studies demonstrate that married men live considerably longer, are healthier and make more money than single men. And most women don't stop working after they have children, but even the ones that do bring added value to the household.

I'd rather die a few years earlier than hear the same nagging voice everyday for the rest of my life...

Old 11-04-2011, 12:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Marrried men make more money because generally they have to work more hours or get a part time job when they have a family. They make more money with more expenses. Single guys make less money but have fewer expenses IMO.

As far as men living longer being married, I agree if she is a GOOD wife. If she is a nagging wife who rarely have sex then that is a different story

Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,899 times
Did you look at the research Tony? I'm thinking you didn't if those are the conclusions you drew, they're patently inaccurate. Married men tend to take more time off from work because they're involved in family activities. And the studies don't control for whether a woman nags or the frequency of sex, married men live longer regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Marrried men make more money because generally they have to work more hours or get a part time job when they have a family. They make more money with more expenses. Single guys make less money but have fewer expenses IMO.

As far as men living longer being married, I agree if she is a GOOD wife. If she is a nagging wife who rarely have sex then that is a different story

Old 11-04-2011, 02:40 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
I would rather make far less money than ever lose my wife. Money and less expenses does not a happy man make.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
Quote:
Did you look at the research Tony? I'm thinking you didn't if those are the conclusions you drew, they're patently inaccurate. Married men tend to take more time off from work because they're involved in family activities. And the studies don't control for whether a woman nags or the frequency of sex, married men live longer regardless.
You know, I've just really been appreciating this thread (although I know it's wandered a bit from the OP's original question). It's interesting about really important things, and I like Roslyn's substantive but upbeat and non-condemning replies. Love that last sentence, it really has a funny side! Just goes to show, men, choose a wife carefully or you may truly find yourself living longer but enjoying it less.

Last edited by RainyRainyDay; 11-04-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
Only in an aggressively puritanical society would people misguidedly push this canard that marriage = longevity. There are way too many factors that can figure into a person's life expectancy, and many times these studies purposely cherry-pick certain factors to point towards a desired a conclusion. But I guess when money is at stake, I too might create multiple studies that bolster the result that I desired.

But I think the best study that shows that there is more to living a long life than simply marriage is the longest experimented study on longevity to date: the Terman Life-Cycle Study.

The results in that study have shown that there were two groups who were observed to have lived the longest life:

1) People who have married and have never divorced, and 2) people who have never married at all. It seems that living a life of consistency and purpose is the key, regardless of being married for life or never have been.

Google this study, if you don't believe me.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 11-04-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,856 times
Quote:
What's obsolete about what I said? Are you denying that sex is cheap and can be had for very little capital outlay or for that matter effort? That in itself makes it less valuable than a relationship that will actually lengthen your life and add to your bottom line. (I never called the people themselves cheap and tawdry and would never presume to judge them. I do wonder, however, about people who settle for something so ephemeral when they can have so much more.)

I can walk out my front door right now and find five men who want to lay up with me before I hit the interstate. And? What's the big deal about that? That's something anyone can have. My marriage on the other hand has to be nurtured and cared for. Creating a home and a safe haven for my husband to return to after he's taken on the vagaries of life in corporate America, that's valuable. That adds meaning and wonder to my life. Sex lasts for what, an hour if you're lucky? In itself it has no value unless you're emotionally connected to the other person. My husband and I are building a life together, a home and a family that will render us immortal, that buffers us in any storm.

There are some pretty obvious drawbacks to long term relationships, you know. Some people aren't ready to invest in a long term relationship and I say good for them for being honest and not trying to. There's nothing more annoying/frustrating/heartbreaking than when someone is on the wrong side of a relationship with someone who isn't really all that keen on the relationship to begin with. The sort of situation where one person invests 90% and the other 10% of the effort.

My whole point was to not make value judgments on someone as long as they are upfront with the people involved in their lives. You are the one putting a value on sex to begin with. You automatically assumed AcidSnake is running through women due to some painful experience or something. That's assuming an awful lot.

"In itself it(sex) has no value unless you're emotionally connected to the other person."

Who are you to say this? If this were the case casual sex would be nonexistant. An attitude like that sounds like it comes from some painful experience.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
Thank you!

But I gotta say it though:

When the OP posted her problems with dating she was given nothing but love and hand-holding. But when I posted my issues with dating in the metro it was just the opposite.

The inherent hypocrisy in differing responses to the same situation only shows that our society hasn't truly evolved yet to come to grips with the change in male-female relations and what equality truly means in a 21st century America.

The contradiction of socialization continues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

There are some pretty obvious drawbacks to long term relationships, you know. Some people aren't ready to invest in a long term relationship and I say good for them for being honest and not trying to. There's nothing more annoying/frustrating/heartbreaking than when someone is on the wrong side of a relationship with someone who isn't really all that keen on the relationship to begin with. The sort of situation where one person invests 90% and the other 10% of the effort.

My whole point was to not make value judgments on someone as long as they are upfront with the people involved in their lives. You are the one putting a value on sex to begin with. You automatically assumed AcidSnake is running through women due to some painful experience or something. That's assuming an awful lot.

"In itself it(sex) has no value unless you're emotionally connected to the other person."

Who are you to say this? If this were the case casual sex would be nonexistant. An attitude like that sounds like it comes from some painful experience.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:07 PM

52 posts, read 71,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada.junila View Post
I want to get a female point of view of this.
Where exactly are you going to meet these guys? If it's at clubs then that probably why the dating scene sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta