Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

My daughter lives in Villa Rica, GA. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and will be retiring next month. My wife wants to move to Douglasville, GA or a nearby suburban area so she can be close to my daughter. Except for the warm weather I find the Atlanta area, in general, to be traffic heavy. I am also concerned with "Black Ice" on the roads. I have two questions:

1. Where would be a good area to relocate which would place us within a 30 minutes drive from Villa Rica? We are interested in a senior or condo type of community. I am 65 and my wife is 60 years old. Price range would be $200,000 to $260,000.

2. My daughter has suggested Carrolton because the University of West Georgia is located there or a location close to the Atlanta area such as Peachtree. What do you think? Any information would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Don't worry about the black ice. We do get it but not on a daily basis. Typically it is after a heavy snow and only lasts 1 - 2 days at max. On average this is one a year - worse case 2 to 3 times. This is the reason the city just shuts down and everyone stays home. You can usually plan accordingly and just stay in.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavts View Post
My daughter lives in Villa Rica, GA. I live in Pittsburgh, PA and will be retiring next month. My wife wants to move to Douglasville, GA or a nearby suburban area so she can be close to my daughter. Except for the warm weather I find the Atlanta area, in general, to be traffic heavy. I am also concerned with "Black Ice" on the roads. I have two questions:

1. Where would be a good area to relocate which would place us within a 30 minutes drive from Villa Rica? We are interested in a senior or condo type of community. I am 65 and my wife is 60 years old. Price range would be $200,000 to $260,000.

2. My daughter has suggested Carrolton because the University of West Georgia is located there or a location close to the Atlanta area such as Peachtree. What do you think? Any information would be helpful.
Douglasville is an ok area not too far from Villa Rica or the city of Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta has heavy traffic but what major city doesn't?

I would also recommend the Smryna area in Cobb County but if you are looking for a smaller area with less traffic, then Carrollton should work just fine.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Is douglasville a nice place to live and good for children? I have three young boys, so also looking for good schools and baseball for them. Any comments or recommendations will be thankful. Or any good place around with a family atmosphere.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 39,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensen View Post
Is douglasville a nice place to live and good for children? I have three young boys, so also looking for good schools and baseball for them. Any comments or recommendations will be thankful. Or any good place around with a family atmosphere.

bump

Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
I love Douglasville, I moved there in about 2007 and I loved it. I was more in the Villa Rica area, but I was about 9 minutes exactly from Douglasville Road Exit 34. The area is mostly well off, every city has crime but Douglasville is exceptionally low sometimes. The most crime comes from either Lee Road, Austell Road, or Douglasville City Center. (Austell Rd always consitters them self to be Douglas County people but they just want to get away from South Cobb because South Cobb is bad.) Douglasville other than that is a lovely place the demographics though have definantly changed. I am a Mixed Race so I go with that population density but Douglasville is majority white. The 2nd Leading race which probably will sneak up on Douglasville is African American. Douglasville is quiet and very family oriented too, also has very good shopping districts and is a Christian area. I give Douglasville a 4 out of 5 stars because there is bad parts to Douglasville too. ( ALSO BECAREFUL WHEN YOU PASS FAIRBURN ROAD THERE ARE COPS LIKE COCKROACHES THERE LOL)

Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Douglasville is not known for good schools.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:53 PM

477 posts, read 594,043 times
The Alexander High School cluster is ranked one of the best in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta