Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times

Advertisements

AT&T is only dumping 70? Christ, they should do a jihad on that place. You know, AT&T and Verizon could cut 20% of their workforce today and you know what they would lose? Nothing. The bottom 20% are hanging on dearly in hopes of that beloved pension. There are still a few lingering around that qualify but, I am sure the MBA's are up late at night trying to sqeeeeeeeeeze them out as quickly as possible.

Buy AT&T and Verizon services? You are paying for a lot of pensions....nothing more. It's time they were finally downsized to where they need to be. I have a friend that works at Verizon and the only way they make their numbers in the call center is to constantly renew and re-write existing contracts...if they actually had to bring in "new business" they would all fail and go away. It's hard to believe that penny-pinching management lets them get away with it but, I digress.

AT&T took a "bold" step last year and started whacking their sales forces wholesale. I guess they finally realized that people that were at "300%" were more like, 300% renewals and re-writes....net net? No growth/slow growth on the top line despite the "overwhelming" success of their salesforce.....f'in' pathetic.

Looks like it is Verizon's turn now.....start whacking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

Dying technology = cell phones since they might help you die from brain cancer.
All of the links were a bit excessive.

I do believe there is a link between excessive cell use and possible cellular damage however. But if you're really worried about it, these have supposedly been tested by third party sources and found to work: Pong Research - The leader in radiation reducing cell phone cases. Cell Phone Radiation Protection Cases, Apple iPhone 4/4S cases, Verizon iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 3G/3GS, BlackBerry . A friend of mine got one. It did seem to slightly boost his iPhone reception, and so far at least, no brain tumors.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,303 times
Switched my landline number to a AT&T go phone (I wanted to keep the number), cancelled my home phone and switched my number from the gophone to google voice and it's been great so far (only about a month). Saving $40 a month on home phone and since I have AT&T dsl and they had to put in a new line for dsl only, they considered me a new customer so getting my regular $50 dsl for like $20 for 12 months....win..win...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I have a land line and keep a cell phone in the glove compartment of my car for emergency use only.

Dying technology = cell phones since they might help you die from brain cancer.

Is walking around, (practically swimming inside) million-volt fields dangerous, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snibt3CNqBA

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
i still have a landline and will never give it up. It only has the basics...a dial tone

Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM

216 posts, read 298,639 times
Ooma.....gave the landline up 5yrs ago. Has saved me thousands. Best decision ever.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Wife has a landline used exclusively for her work. I take and make all calls from my cell.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
I have a landline as backup in case I lose my cellphone or it gets stolen. I still have an old slimline AT&T corded phone that's heavy enough to double as a weapon.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Until AT&T improves its coverage, I can't get rid of my landline. My cell phone only rings in my house about 25% of the time. My mother and solicitors/politicians/charities/fake IRS agents demanding money are the only people who call me on my landline. Wish I could dump it.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I haven't had a landline in probably 7 or 8 years.

BUT, I really want one! Right now, nothing is better for 911. You can dial 911 on a landline and dispatchers will send someone to your house even if you can't speak.

They are also totally reliable. I've had instances where I lose cell coverage when tower work is being done, and if you lose power long enough to when your cell phone dies and it isn't back yet by the time you have to recharge, what are you going to do? Landlines hardly ever go down.

The problem is, AT&T doesn't seem to offer barebones landline service. I wish they offered a plan that was like $9 a month, even if it cost 25 cents a minute to actually use. I would buy that because I only need it for emergencies.

But I think the cheapest landline you can get is almost $30. That's too much to spend for emergencies only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta