Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:45 PM

21 posts, read 126,007 times

Advertisements

I posted my original inquiry several months ago....and after not much luck finding a program...and lots of feedback both positive and negative... I've decided to open a full immersion preschool scheduled to open almost a full year later in Fall 2008! Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 44,986 times
Default any preschool?

Did you end up opening a preschool? I'm interested to know---we have two young children, one preschool age and a one-year old, and even though my husband and I are both fluent in spanish, we haven't been consistent in teaching the language at home. we'll be moving to the area to work at kennesaw state in august.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM

45 posts, read 213,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobegrl View Post
I recently moved to Atlanta and am quite disappointed with offerings for immersions schools. Basically, there aren't that many and the waiting lists are long. My son does go to one (luckily), but it was a last minute find. I'm pretty involved in the school so I can see it is going in a positive direction. I would recommend Atlanta International for your child, but I don't think he can get in at Preschool age.

It's unfortunate you didn't like Tabula Rasa, because the school is forming alliance with Atlanta International so that kids have a better chance of getting in there after they graduate from TR. It's a small school now, but its expanding and I liked the diversity (which for me seems hard to find here in Atlanta). I think a school is more about parent involvement because the parents are the ones who can implement the change. Here many parents are very involved.
I heartily agree with this writer. My daughter is enrolled in both the French and Spanish programs at Tabula Rasa and she loves it. I intend to look at Atlanta International School when she is old enough. I love the idea of my daughter learning in a strong academic program and also learning two additional languages. It is a supportive, diverse environment and I am so glad that my daughter is learning to appreciate diverse cultures.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur2004 View Post
I heartily agree with this writer. My daughter is enrolled in both the French and Spanish programs at Tabula Rasa and she loves it. I intend to look at Atlanta International School when she is old enough. I love the idea of my daughter learning in a strong academic program and also learning two additional languages. It is a supportive, diverse environment and I am so glad that my daughter is learning to appreciate diverse cultures.
Maybe it's my college background but I still just find it amazing on how much emphasis y'all put on a language in schools than other areas.

I took 4 years Spanish in HS, 2 year certificate @ Tech. CS/CompE degree from Tech. I work with people from all over the world and language doesn't even enter into the equation.

Again it's my equation and it's your kids, your decision, your right....I'm just curious and find this thread interesting.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM

45 posts, read 213,390 times
Default Gt

Hi gt,

Like you I learned Spanish, but don't get the opportunity to use it much. As I've grown older, I've been exposed to people from many other cultures and I've learned that this country is the one of the few where we don't feel the need to introduce our children to another language.

The earlier you introduce your child to another language, the faster s/he picks it up. My child has a strong understanding of Spanish, and a solid start in French. Does that mean that I don't want her to be strong in math and science? OF COURSE NOT! Math is a language too! When you talk about other countries having strong math and science programs don't you realize that the citizens of those countries are usually bi or trilingual? They don't give up one for the other. Why not have it all?

I'm a law professor. Just as you and I don't get to use much of our Spanish (though now I get to use it with my daughter), I don't use much math or science in my job. I'm quite glad I learned it though. I hated physics, but I'm happy that it was part of my education.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 24,856 times
hi! its alba, I live in Madrid, im going to peachtree for the summer. i dont know what are u looking exactly for your kid. but i could give him spanish classes of conversation.
just tell me!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 AM

3 posts, read 11,481 times
Yes, I want to make clear that though I do like exposure to different languages for my child, there are many studies thats show how learning multiple languages increases a child's aptitude for learning and reasoning and helps with other subjects like math and science. I myself graduated with a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, so it would be hard for me to say that I don't think math and science are important. But I also believe the foundation you lay for a child's education will affect the way s/he progress in later years and I want to make sure my child has a rock-solid foundation. I started in languages in my preschool when I was 3, so for me, it is only natural to do the same for my child. Immersion schools are just like any other school in that they teach all of the main subjects, just that they add the extra level of incorporating the second/third language into the curriculum along with introducing children to other cultures.

I know friends that are teaching their children mandarin chinese. It think is very smart since China is becoming more of a super power in the world economy and they want to give their children an advantage for when they eventually reach the business world. It is about understanding the world around you and knowing that the USA isn't the only place in it. We are actually a very small part of it.

And I do understand that the languages may not be used on a daily basis in Atlanta, but again, Atlanta is not the only city in the US. We moved from Miami Beach last year where more people speak spanish than english and it is common to hear italian, french and other languages so I used my languages on a daily basis. Consequently, we are moving back to Miami, and even there I am enrolling my son in an immersion school that uses the reggio-emilia teaching method.

Best of luck to the mom opening her own school. I think it would be a great addition to the current Atlanta school selection.

Last edited by sobegrl; 04-23-2008 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobegrl View Post
Yes, I want to make clear that though I do like exposure to different languages for my child, there are many studies thats show how learning multiple languages increases a child's aptitude for learning and reasoning and helps with other subjects like math and science.

I know friends that are teaching their children mandarin chinese. It think is very smart since China is becoming more of a super power in the world economy and they want to give their children an advantage for when they eventually reach the business world. It is about understanding the world around you and knowing that the USA isn't the only place in it. We are actually a very small part of it.
I have no objection to immersion programs, but you should know that research says learning and playing music impacts the brain the same way a second language does.

There was a great article in the Wall St. Journal last year about children and Mandarin Chinese. It talked about how all these high powered executives forced their kids' private schools to offer chinese or arranged for private tutoring a decade ago. (guess these execs saw what was coming) Long story short, most of these kids have far less mastery of Chinese then their peers who took spanish or french. While most lived in major cities, there just wasn't enough opportunity to use the language outside of the classroom setting. The exceptions were students whose parents sent them to China for extended periods of time.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,218 times
When I saw this thread, I made a mental bet with myself as to how many responses I would read before I encountered the first ridiculing the notion of learning Spanish. I guessed six (it was seven). The racist and classist mind-set that Internet anonymity encourages is truly frightening. If I were more cynical, I would suspect the OP of asking her question merely to incite controversy.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
excellent idea. if that fails get a mexican nanny. the rapid mapping period 0 - 7 approx is an incredible time for language acquisition. i have seen it 1st hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta