Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
It's not a "big deal"... just glad it isn't another Belk... and at least the space won't remain empty for long.
I'm with you on the Belk thing.

I think Von Maur IS a big deal. We are the jumping-off place for their expansion into the SE. They are considered the "Nordstrom of the Midwest" by some, and there are just so many Department store chains left out there. Out of all the regional chains that I'm aware of (Boscov's, Bon-Ton, etc.) I'll take Von Maur over all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many movies and TV shows are filmed in Charlotte each year? Pretty sure Atlanta is the southern mecca for film/TV production.
That's because of tax breaks provided by the state of GA. Louisiana does the same thing and Wilmington, NC used to be a prominent Southern center of film/TV production.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I think Von Maur IS a big deal. We are the jumping-off place for their expansion into the SE. They are considered the "Nordstrom of the Midwest" by some, and there are just so many Department store chains left out there. Out of all the regional chains that I'm aware of (Boscov's, Bon-Ton, etc.) I'll take Von Maur over all of them.
Yeah, and Davenport Iowa is the fashion center of the universe.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's because of tax breaks provided by the state of GA. Louisiana does the same thing and Wilmington, NC used to be a prominent Southern center of film/TV production.
Right, but those tax breaks bring economic impact to many towns in the state and have started a semi-boom in the movie industry here. The end result is that GA is one of the primary destination for A-list movie productions.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right, but those tax breaks bring economic impact to many towns in the state and have started a semi-boom in the movie industry here. The end result is that GA is one of the primary destination for A-list movie productions.
I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that it really has nothing to do with "Atlanta vs. Charlotte" specifically.

And I like the exposure that the industry gives us, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth all the tax breaks.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
When Charlotte gets a PRADA store it will have officially arrived, lol. Atlanta just got it's store less than a month ago.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm with you on the Belk thing.

Hey John--

Besides Boscov's and Bon-Ton, what are some other regional department store chains you are aware of that could potentially move into Metro Atlanta?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hey John--

Besides Boscov's and Bon-Ton, what are some other regional department store chains you are aware of that could potentially move into Metro Atlanta?

I looked.

Potentially entrants into the Metro Atlanta in the future:

Boscov's
The Bon-Ton (various)
Gus Mayer
Jacobson's

List of department stores of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,098 times
With all this talk about shopping surprised no one mentioned Atlantic Station.....that is an amazing place and Charlotte has NOTHING like that at all....for what its worth I think Uptown Charlotte is better compared to that

Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
I live in Charlotte but love Atlanta. Reading through this thread is like watching an older brother beat a younger brother in basketball while taunting him about being inadequate. Atlanta is 3x the size of Charlotte, why even compare? C'mon folks, 3x the size is de facto KING between the two places as far as nightlife, diversity and city amenities.

Regionally, we need each area to to thrive, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond, etc. and the big ATL.

Many NE'ers have a warped perception of Atlanta/south. Not too long ago (30-40 years), yep, that's what Atlanta looked liked -> 2012 Charlotte (save the great local universities in Atlanta).

After living in DC for years and battling traffic, Charlotte was the answer for me. 30-40 years from now, Charlotte will probably be a traffic mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta