Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
For those who are paying close attention, Atlanta's jobs data for December will be released tomorrow morning. We had a string of positive reports the last few months, and the national report for December was quite positive as well.

If you exclude our problem sectors of Construction, Finance, and Government and only look at all other sectors, Atlanta employment is at its highest level post-2008. (Actually government is above those levels as well, but has been shedding jobs more lately.)
The report is in (link here: http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_msa.pdf), and despite a pretty crappy report for the whole state, Atlanta's report is quote strong.

Atlanta's total job losses over the last 12 months (which was sitting at 30,000 over the summer) has been cut down to a measly 600 jobs. But that's not the good news: over the last 12 months we've seen job growth in all the right places, offset by losses in the Bubblicious sectors of government, construction, and finance.

Over the last 12 months, we've gained a solid 11,200 jobs in Professional & Business Services. Actually it's better than this: the subsector of Admin and Support Services has shed 4,000 jobs, while Professional, Business, and Scientific has added 15,200 jobs, and Computer Systems Design has added 6,200 jobs. That's white collar job growth for ya.

The other standout sectors are manufacturing, up 3,600 jobs yoy; Education and Health, up 4,400 jobs yoy; and Trade, Transportation, and Utilities, up 6,700 jobs yoy.

The other good news, and the real reason that our overall jobs number is finally looking so much less anemic, is that government, finance, and construction have FINALLY stopped shedding jobs. At least quite so quickly. Hopefully this trend keeps up.

We added a net 2,500 jobs from November to December, which, due to seasonality, is nothing to write home about under good economic conditions. But it's quite good when you consider that in 2008, 2009, and 2010, we lost 12,000; 3,000; and 12,000 jobs respectively between November and December. Small-ish job gains between November and December are much more in line with the trends we were seeing before the recession.

January, which is always a wild month in the labor market with all the post-holiday layoffs (typically anywhere from 40,000 to 90,000 jobs are lost over the month), will be the true test--if we're going to have an ugly labor report, that one has a good chance of being it. But after several good jobs reports in a row, it's a lot easier to be optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Although the announced Georgia college mergers could lead to more layoffs.

Ga. college mergers could mean layoffs *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/ga-college-mergers-could-1308570.html - broken link)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weort View Post
Those cities are also places where folks come to work. When the work is gone, many of them will be too.

Also, those two aren't a black mecca. If a city, let's say Little Rock made itself known as the Samoan mecca, many people would see that as exclusionary. While there are opps for all kinds of people in ATL, the overwhelming bias is toward blacks. A lot of professional level people have left and aren't coming back.
A bias?
Sooo....that would mean San Francisco being a "gay mecca" would not also be exclusionary,or Houston being a Latino mecca,or Miami being a Carribean/Hispanic Mecca?.
How come no one say Minneapolis-St Paul,Salt Lake City,Seattle is a white mecca?They are but it does not stop black,asian,Hispanics from living or moving there?Are people calling those place "biased"?Bcause they are not.Its simply a place where cultures of different Caucacian groups have a cultural history and traditions that are more than ninety percent European.Yet someone Atlanta is making people feel "exclusionary".
Tell you what .Go talk to some of my relatives who live in Philadelphia,Chicago,New York,L.A. and ask them why THEY left Atlanta and STILL will not come back today.Exclusionary would not even sound like its the same word you used.Yes ,Im African American.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Denver provides me with an exceptionally nice and vibrant downtown (surprisingly much better than even Seattle), an abundance of outdoors activities, and a climate with more character (was tired of seeing green trees in November everywhere in Atlanta). I miss the economic/business aspect of life in Atlanta, as well as the nightlife, but I'd rather live somewhere where people are moving because it's a nice place to live rather than somewhere that uses corporate tax incentives to lure their migration... to me that's lazy thinking on all levels.
I have had more opportunities to make more money outside of Georgia ,but I dont wanna go.This is where I wanna live.I even lived in Denver several years ago.I have tried several places over the years.This notion that people are only moving to Atlanta because of jobs it ridiculous.Number one reason people move is because of climate/weather.Having jobs here just makes it easier.

And why do people forget that migratory patterns of people follow where they are more familiar.For instance someone from Mississippi would move to Atlanta long before they would to NYC IF the choice of a good job was available in both.Northerners are not the only ones moving South.

Another thing.White Southerners have less issue with the whole "black mecca" than Northerners do.I should add meaning those who have "race issues".Personally I would care less if some place is called a Marsian mecca an long as they are cool with me living there.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,612 times
Quote:
The report is in (link here: http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_msa.pdf), and despite a pretty crappy report for the whole state, Atlanta's report is quote strong.

Atlanta's total job losses over the last 12 months (which was sitting at 30,000 over the summer) has been cut down to a measly 600 jobs. But that's not the good news: over the last 12 months we've seen job growth in all the right places, offset by losses in the Bubblicious sectors of government, construction, and finance.

Over the last 12 months, we've gained a solid 11,200 jobs in Professional & Business Services. Actually it's better than this: the subsector of Admin and Support Services has shed 4,000 jobs, while Professional, Business, and Scientific has added 15,200 jobs, and Computer Systems Design has added 6,200 jobs. That's white collar job growth for ya.

The other standout sectors are manufacturing, up 3,600 jobs yoy; Education and Health, up 4,400 jobs yoy; and Trade, Transportation, and Utilities, up 6,700 jobs yoy.

The other good news, and the real reason that our overall jobs number is finally looking so much less anemic, is that government, finance, and construction have FINALLY stopped shedding jobs. At least quite so quickly. Hopefully this trend keeps up.

We added a net 2,500 jobs from November to December, which, due to seasonality, is nothing to write home about under good economic conditions. But it's quite good when you consider that in 2008, 2009, and 2010, we lost 12,000; 3,000; and 12,000 jobs respectively between November and December. Small-ish job gains between November and December are much more in line with the trends we were seeing before the recession.

January, which is always a wild month in the labor market with all the post-holiday layoffs (typically anywhere from 40,000 to 90,000 jobs are lost over the month), will be the true test--if we're going to have an ugly labor report, that one has a good chance of being it. But after several good jobs reports in a row, it's a lot easier to be optimistic.
Encouraging numbers, and very helpful analysis, testa (as usual!).

Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 AM

369 posts, read 657,382 times
Quote:

Good news! Hope it continues, Savannah had an uptick too. At least Georgia seems to be fighting for economic vitality while other states want to roll over and die.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM

303 posts, read 579,394 times
I'm black and from Chicago ,as a lot of people know the black population decreased. More than half moved to Atlanta but this trend isn't just Chicago but places like Detroit,Ohio,Philly,NYC, Baltimore and any other northern city. I always do different from what other people doing , so if I move south it would be Houston. American cities are build on diversity and that something Atlanta lacks on compared to Houston. Atlanta isn't a bad city and is going continue to do well ,but it's not going to boom like ten years ago.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
I'm black and from Chicago ,as a lot of people know the black population decreased. More than half moved to Atlanta but this trend isn't just Chicago but places like Detroit,Ohio,Philly,NYC, Baltimore and any other northern city. I always do different from what other people doing , so if I move south it would be Houston. American cities are build on diversity and that something Atlanta lacks on compared to Houston. Atlanta isn't a bad city and is going continue to do well ,but it's not going to boom like ten years ago.
No, Atlanta definitely doesn't lack in diversity.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
America as a whole is not going to boom like it did 10 years ago, so what's your point?

Also, metro Atlanta is diverse and just because you believe half of Chicago blacks moved here doesn't mean that we did not receive other races.
(Growing Atlanta Region Becoming More Diverse)
(International Community (http://www.metroatlantachamber.com/content/IntPage.aspx?Id=373&SId=9&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupp ort=1 - broken link))

Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

303 posts, read 579,394 times
Atlanta is diverse I'm not saying it isn't and but it is fact that Atlanta is the top location for blacks to move. Yes other races are moving to Atlanta but not like Houston. Houston has large amouts of blacks,mexicans,whites and asians moving there. Economy isn't going to be like 10 years ago, but that was the time when Atlanta was cheaper and was underrated. Atlanta's future is good but it has nothing on Houston.

Last edited by Dream Chaser; 03-23-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta