Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm assuming you mean to those who live OTP, and never get intown. If that's the case, then yes- I don't place much faith in comments made by those who live in the outlying counties and think they know everything about what areas intown are like.
I think there's a good bit of misinformation both ways. We had a party last year and invited several folks who lived in the ritzy areas up around the lake and in Milton. There was no prejudice against us whatsoever and they all thought our area was surprisingly nice. Other than going to the airport (which admittedly is no beauty ride) they'd simply had no reason to come down this far.

Based on what I sometimes see on this board, it seems like some of the youngsters in the intown crowd are just as clueless about the suburbs. We should all base our opinions on knowledge, not suppositions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Based on what I sometimes see on this board, it seems like some of the youngsters in the intown crowd are just as clueless about the suburbs. We should all base our opinions on knowledge, not suppositions.
That was the point of my original post. We've got a certain intown cheerleader who has readily admitted to rarely, if ever, venturing beyond 285, yet he's got some pretty strong opinions/theories on how things are in suburbs.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Quote:
We've got a certain intown cheerleader who has readily admitted to rarely, if ever, venturing beyond 285, yet he's got some pretty strong opinions/theories on how things are in suburbs.
It's ludicrous both ways.

I'm a naturally curious person, so I'll travel far and wide just to get a change of scenery and see what's out there. For example, I went to Greenbriar mall a while ago just because I had never been there. I had no reason to go, I just knew it was there and wanted to see what it was like.

People don't have that natural curiosity anymore? How can you assume where you are is the best if you have never been anywhere else? It always surprised me to meet people who grew up in New York, but have never been to the old World Fair site in Queens, or know nothing about Brooklyn. Don't you have a natural sense of just wanting to know what's around you?

I went to the Inman Park festival. I have no reason to go there, there are tons of other festivals. I just like a change of scenery. While I was there, I checked out what's going in the Old Fourth Ward. Again, I have no reason to be there, but it's there, so why not check it out?

The reverse is also true. If you live intown, don't you ever want to come to Mall of Georgia to just see what the largest mall around is like? Don't you want to visit Lake Lanier to see what it's all about? Wouldn't you even occasionally want to just get a sloppy greasy meal at a freaking Cracker Barrell and buy some stupid old candy? I mean, get outside your comfort zone! Experience your world....or at least, experience your city!!!!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's ludicrous both ways.

I'm a naturally curious person, so I'll travel far and wide just to get a change of scenery and see what's out there. For example, I went to Greenbriar mall a while ago just because I had never been there. I had no reason to go, I just knew it was there and wanted to see what it was like.

People don't have that natural curiosity anymore? How can you assume where you are is the best if you have never been anywhere else? It always surprised me to meet people who grew up in New York, but have never been to the old World Fair site in Queens, or know nothing about Brooklyn. Don't you have a natural sense of just wanting to know what's around you?

I went to the Inman Park festival. I have no reason to go there, there are tons of other festivals. I just like a change of scenery. While I was there, I checked out what's going in the Old Fourth Ward. Again, I have no reason to be there, but it's there, so why not check it out?

The reverse is also true. If you live intown, don't you ever want to come to Mall of Georgia to just see what the largest mall around is like? Don't you want to visit Lake Lanier to see what it's all about? Wouldn't you even occasionally want to just get a sloppy greasy meal at a freaking Cracker Barrell and buy some stupid old candy? I mean, get outside your comfort zone! Experience your world....or at least, experience your city!!!!
I agree! :-)

Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
BTW, Augusten Burroughs has some great thoughts about this notion in his new book, This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

In it, he discusses how single people complain that they do everything but can't meet "the right person" but if you examine their lives, most people travel the same exact routes day in and day out. He talks about the value in changing things up. Even if it's something as simple as going to a grocery store that is a little further away, not the one you go to every single time. His discussion focuses around the concept that when you expand your world, you meet more and different people. But it also just makes you a better and more well-rounded person.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,313 times
Quote:
We like to explore a bit, too. Though with gas prices right now we're mot doing it all that much. The festivals are a fun way to check out different neighborhoods, and back last summer we rode MARTA all the way to the airport and back, just or fun. My son thought it was beyond awesome, and it was a couple hours of cheap entertainment. My husband had surgery last week at Emory Mitown, and I had a great time just walking around checking it out. thought I'd see a panhandler or two, but no such luck.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A lot of folks in the suburbs are very progressive when it comes to planning. They're using form based codes, adopting the Complete Streets program, and including greenspace, trails and bike lanes.
I've heard the Mableton Improvement Coalition use the term "form based codes" in conjunction with the new Mableton , but I don't know what it means.

Cobb County Government - Mableton SmartCode

Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I feel ya. I am the same way and it has taken me to so many places I wouldn't have been otherwise. It's funny you mention New York because by the time I was moving back down south I had seen more of that city than several of the locals and long-time transplants I worked with. I hit a place hard and I'm happiest when I'm exploring somewhere new.

Enough about me though.

I have noticed that Atlanta has about the worst snobbery when it comes to city vs. suburbs and I think it's silly. There isn't all that much difference between the two in my opinion. Both sides are obnoxious about it but I have to hand it to the ITP hipsters who think they're clever by always mentioning Applebees and The Olive Garden in their putdowns of OTPer's. People live where they live for many different reasons and the cool or hip factor is usually the least important for anybody older than 25 and with any sense.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Have any of y'all been following the TowneCenter@Snellville project? It looks terrific to me!

An overview is here (large file).

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,899 times
arjay, looking to retire to the suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta