Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times

Advertisements

Wow....."anti-government fervor" from me- a "neo-con, tea party type". That's pretty funny.

There's a big difference between:

a) the "neo-con, tea party types" who would be thrilled to death if there was absolutely no government at all, and

b)people who are fine with having government be responsible for providing certain goods and services, but are sick of those services being delivered so wastefully because the people who are in said government positions get very cavalier attitudes when they're spending "other people's money" and can sit back and say "only 3 more years and I'll retire with my full government-paid pension after only 20 years".

I deal with governmental agencies at all levels on a daily basis, and some of the waste and the attitudes are absurd. I don't even begrudge the short timeframes to get the pensions- they get paid crap while they're working- but at least put in some effort until your time is done......

This isn't about a jelly donut on a 5-minute break- it's far greater than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No, I'm just a little tired of all the anti-government fervor that has been building up with you neo-con, tea party types. Frankly, it's bordering on dangerous these days, so even though you like to hide that sentiment behind "lol"s, how about you cool it.
Amen to that.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
A big mixed use project in Sandy Springs.

$100M project proposed for Sandy Springs - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe they make it more compact, new-urbanist style than the typical garden style apartment.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The question is will the residents of Sandy Springs accept denser rental multi-family housing? What will be torn down isn't very nice, but apartments in the Southeast don't have a history of aging well. Are you taking a current problem and pushing it down the road 10-20 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Maybe they make it more compact, new-urbanist style than the typical garden style apartment.
You can almost guarantee that this won't be garden style apartments, unless there is a senior living component to it, and even then, probably no garden apartments. Density is where you make the big money in apartments.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
I just drove past Johns Creek the other day - the area looks very very nice, with an abundance of nice shopping centers and Technology Park - Johns Creek. What do you all think of Johns Creek?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM

369 posts, read 657,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I don't call your generation "lazy" when you can't find a job in a down economy.

I call you "lazy" when you won't go find a part-time job during high school to help pay for your own car, or gas for your parents' car, because you're too busy playing the latest version of "Grand Theft Auto" or "HALO" on the X-Box that your parents bought you. And don't give me the "there's no jobs to be had" line- you can cut your neighbors' grass if that's what it takes.

I call you "lazy" when you need to take a year off after high school or after college to "find yourself" by backpacking across Europe with a bunch of your friends.

I call you "lazy" when you decide to major in "gay and lesbian studies" or "French romantic literature" and wonder why you can't find a job other than at The GAP. Maybe if you majored in something that had a real-world application, or (god forbid) learned a trade, you wouldn't have it so rough.
I thought the illegal immigrants did a better job (or cheaper job) and that's why they have them now. Thank's again hippie boomers!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
You can almost guarantee that this won't be garden style apartments, unless there is a senior living component to it, and even then, probably no garden apartments. Density is where you make the big money in apartments
Then I hope they are built next to the sidewalk and not gated off, like many of the new apartment complexes in the O4W along the BeltLine https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...27.88,,0,-2.56. That way it makes it look like a brownstone, instead of a parking lot and gate between the sidewalk and apartments.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I just drove past Johns Creek the other day - the area looks very very nice, with an abundance of nice shopping centers and Technology Park - Johns Creek. What do you all think of Johns Creek?
I can see how Johns Creek would be appealing to someone who lived in Norcross. Wider streets, newer construction, more open space for the most part.

I would split the difference and live in East Roswell or Alpharetta instead. You get the 'cleaner' feel with closer access to an actual highway (GA 400) instead of just 141. Getting in and out of Johns Creek can be a bit of a chore

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I think we clearly see this happening in metro Atlanta. For true diversity, the suburbs are where it's at.

Quote:
How the Suburbs Gave Birth to America's Most Diverse Neighborhoods - Housing - The Atlantic Cities

...a growing number of central city blacks and Latinos experience apartheid levels of segregation and civic dysfunction. In comparison, despite challenges, integrated suburbs are gaining in population and prosperity. Given these trends, ensuring successful racially integrated communities represent the best policy path for the nation’s educational, economic and political success.

Stably integrated suburbs are places where whites and non-whites can grow up, study, work, and govern together effectively. Integrated communities have the greatest success eliminating racial disparities in education and economic opportunity. While non-whites in integrated communities have seen improvements in these areas, non-white residents of segregated urban communities are further behind than ever. In integrated communities, whites and non-whites have the most positive perceptions of one another. These communities are much more likely to be politically balanced and functional places that provide high quality government services at affordable tax rates than high-poverty, segregated areas. In environmental terms, they are denser, more walkable, more energy-efficient and otherwise more sustainable than outer suburbs, and benefit from their proximity both to central cities and outer suburban destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta