Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How is any of this changing their "small government, privatize public service ideaology"?????
They certainly lease office space and only a small amount for their small amount of employees. What are they going to fill city hall with, checker boards and ping pong tables for the old people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Do you think all of the subcontracted workers that they use for code enforcement, planning, etc., work from home? Just because they outsource those services to private firms doesn't mean they don't have people to house at City Hall. If you went to the city offices of towns that work that way, you'd never know that they were outsourcing (other than the non-public employees might not be sitting at their desks eating jelly donuts.....lol).

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
"Goes Shopping" could also include just stopping by the store...
Or to a restaurant or a bar. It was probably just a stupidly worded sentence.

I walk to Little's Food Store probably three times per week. I also walk to Carroll Street Cafe and 97 Estoria once per week each. Five "shopping" trips per week is not uncommon for me.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Or to a restaurant or a bar. It was probably just a stupidly worded sentence.

I walk to Little's Food Store probably three times per week. I also walk to Carroll Street Cafe and 97 Estoria once per week each. Five "shopping" trips per week is not uncommon for me.
Totally agree.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They're trying to generate business, which will increase property tax ratables, as well as generating sales tax revenue. This will lessen the load on the taxpayers, and give them additional funds to pay for the privatized services that they have. How is any of this changing their "small government, privatize public service ideaology"?????
They're also doing what their residents want.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Do you think all of the subcontracted workers that they use for code enforcement, planning, etc., work from home? Just because they outsource those services to private firms doesn't mean they don't have people to house at City Hall. If you went to the city offices of towns that work that way, you'd never know that they were outsourcing (other than the non-public employees might not be sitting at their desks eating jelly donuts.....lol).
Figured outsourced employees worked in an office somewhere else, thank you for the info.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
JPD

Quote:
(other than the non-public employees might not be sitting at their desks eating jelly donuts.....lol).

Right. Only government employees have desks and eat snacks while working. Nobody in the private sector would ever sit at a desk or take 30 seconds out of their workday to eat a donut.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Right. Only government employees have desks and eat snacks while working. Nobody in the private sector would ever sit at a desk or take 30 seconds out of their workday to eat a donut.
You really need to loosen up a bit- I think that stick might be up just a bit far today.......

Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
JPD

Quote:
You really need to loosen up a bit- I think that stick might be up just a bit far today.......
No, I'm just a little tired of all the anti-government fervor that has been building up with you neo-con, tea party types. Frankly, it's bordering on dangerous these days, so even though you like to hide that sentiment behind "lol"s, how about you cool it.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
I sort of have to agree with JPD....

There is this culture among some people of making these types of comments towards government/government workers. Individually they are light-hearted... not a big deal

Yet, the are perpetuated over and over and people don't want to hear an argument to the contrary.

He is right... the arguments go too far. People in the private sector take breaks and act in ways to keep their mind at ease and productivity up.

My favorite comments are the construction/road workers comments people talk about all the guys sitting around, yet the private companies with competitive contracts to build roads do the same thing. The ultimate problem is if you hire someone at $20/hr to work manual labor outside all day... your really only going to have them be 100% actively productive 50% of the time. The other 50% they are dealing with the conditions or in a well managed operation they do low-activity tasks.

The ultimate reason is... overall productivity is more important than simply how many hours someone is moving a shovel. Plain and simple... it is what they get accomplished regardless of how. (don't get me wrong... most of the time I prefer passing out competitive building contracts to private companies, but I just find it interesting the private companies do the same thing and I catch people making the same jokes)

Last edited by cwkimbro; 06-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta