Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times

Advertisements

At some point the term sprawl doesn't apply to development that's 50 miles or more from the core city. I do believe that low density is inherent for people to enjoy the South's abundant trees and available land.

But when I recently stopped to eat at a Hardees on I-85 somewhere between the Mall of Georgia and Commerce, I was very disappointed to see all of the growth repeating the same mistakes. Nothing is walkable, huge parking lots in front of more and more strip malls, fast food restaurants over 1000 ft from one another. When you're developing former virgin countryside with brand new development, you can create much more efficient land use even if it's still car-centric. They could do much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
For the record that is supply and demand...come on man...this is trivial.
What are you talking about? Who said it wasn't?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Smart growth developments like your example are expensive, why would developers want that, when small towns will take an development they can get.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So you do see where I say that the personal(intrinsic) value of something has little to do with its true economic value right? If all you had was 40K to spend and the GM was 30K and Benz 40K im sure the economics of the choice excluding personal preference would make the decision pretty much a no brainer. But hey, to each his own...
You don't sound like you don't have a good grasp of what makes something worth any amount of money. You think there is some rules that says paying 30k for GM is a better value then paying 40k for a Benz? If that is the case you are missing out on the basic foundation that economics is based on. Here is a hint: it isn't dollar amounts/cost.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
What are you talking about? Who said it wasn't?
Thats a defined principle of economics; not the whole of economics. Thats what I was tallking about....what were you talkin about??

Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Smart growth developments like your example are expensive, why would developers want that, when small towns will take an development they can get.
True...true....

Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You don't sound like you don't have a good grasp of what makes something worth any amount of money. You think there is some rules that says paying 30k for GM is a better value then paying 40k for a Benz? If that is the case you are missing out on the basic foundation that economics is based on. Here is a hint: it isn't dollar amounts/cost.
I surely did. If it is not an emotional purchase then it is an economical one. And if the need is a car then economically in every way I decribed, the GM is a better choice. You pay a premium price for a premium product which is mainly for status/personal pleasure. They both get byou from A to B. An Iphone or Motorola Flip? They both serve the main purpose of what a phone does...make and receive calls. All that other stuff is Lagniappe. Thats why there are different pricepoints for consumables dude....really??? You dont get that?? And I for one dont have to prove anything to you about my economic or dollar stretching prowess but please check my prolfile. I work in Manhattan makin long money but planted roots in the ATL where the cost of living is more affordable. How is that for stretching a dollar??

Please start another thread and I will gladly partake in an economical debate with you.

Once again let me do ATLANTAGREG's job and say move on....

Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I surely did. If it is not an emotional purchase then it is an economical one. And if the need is a car then economically in every way I decribed, the GM is a better choice. You pay a premium price for a premium product which is mainly for status/personal pleasure. They both get byou from A to B. An Iphone or Motorola Flip? They both serve the main purpose of what a phone does...make and receive calls. All that other stuff is Lagniappe.
You can't interchange the terms "economical" with " economic value". Those are two separate things.

One deals with getting more for your money or spending less, the other deals with demand for the product. Two separate meanings.

Quote:
Thats why there are different pricepoints for consumables dude....really??? You dont get that?
I get why things are priced differently. You don't seem to know the difference between "economical" and "economic value".

Quote:
? And I for one dont have to prove anything to you about my economic or dollar stretching prowess but please check my prolfile. I work in Manhattan makin long money but planted roots in the ATL where the cost of living is more affordable. How is that for stretching a dollar??
You could be Donald Trump for all I care. You suck at definitions and that seems to be the issue.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You can't interchange the terms "economical" with " economic value". Those are two separate things.

One deals with getting more for your money or spending less, the other deals with demand for the product. Two separate meanings.

I get why things are priced differently. You don't seem to know the difference between "economical" and "economic value".

Nonsense

You could be Donald Trump for all I care. You suck at definitions and that seems to be the issue.
Please, dont insult me like that....

You suck at Understanding...but it doesnt bother me one bit. I am however sorry that you decided to take it personal . So therefore I digress...a wise man once told me to not argue with fools...and this little tiff I believe makes both of us look like the latter; you for your reasons and me for entertaining so once again, let me invoke ATLGREG...

Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM

47 posts, read 44,878 times
This SLIMMACKEY guy is confused or ignorant. Value is not the same as economical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta