Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times

Advertisements

I don't think you're allowed to attend without putting money in the plate. I think they're rumored to require your tax forms so they can ensure you tithe 10%.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Really?

What about all the white megachurches in the metro area?
Well, I won't go the white route since this megachurch thing is universally a dumb idea, but you make a very good point:

One of the biggest megachurches out there is in Alpharetta. Ol' Creflo Dollar's (he's still a shyster) doesn't even make the top 25.

Top 100 Largest Churches in America

Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Well then anybody who would ever attend a church like that is an outright idiot and deserves whatever they get.

Never in my life have I been to a church where contributing is a requirement.

Are you sure that's right? I mean, do they have bouncers who throw you into the street if you don't pay?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:52 AM

I have no idea as to the validity, but that is the longstanding rumor about Creflo Dollar's church as well as Eddie Long's. I do know that both churches have ATMs in the lobby, as does that church up in Alpharetta. I guess that whole thing about Jesus throwing moneychangers out of the temple missed them, huh?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I have no idea as to the validity, but that is the longstanding rumor about Creflo Dollar's church as well as Eddie Long's. I do know that both churches have ATMs in the lobby, as does that church up in Alpharetta. I guess that whole thing about Jesus throwing moneychangers out of the temple missed them, huh?
EXACTLY! (As are most of the things some people who are so righteous about WWJD....but thats a thread for a different day.)

The thing that gets me about the Buckhead branch of North Point (not an affiliate church, a branch) is that instead of having they're own pastor I've heard that they have this super high tech video screen that makes it appear as the pastor at the main campus is there on the stage preaching to them in person. What. The. F...

Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I never said there was a dearth of white idiots! I actually like them better because I'm allowed to call them out for being imbeciles without being called a racist.

Are we allowed to say his flock is a bunch of fools without being accused of that?

I guess I can because when I saw his picture in his suit and watch, I immediately knew anybody who would support him is a fool, but I didn't know where his church even was until I read the article. So I knew his flock was not wise before knowing what color they are.

Except, of course, for the people who went to the church without ever contributing to the collection plate. I'm sure there are a few of them, so they get a pass.
Man, we knew what you were implying about the residence of south Atlanta metro and yes race was implied. Just admit it and move on.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Aside from the criticism of megachurches, this incident is regarding a disciplinary matter with his daughter. I know there are some cultural differences when it comes to this, but from what I've read of the matter, I tip my hat to Dollar in this case. I would have never DREAMED of raising up and getting grown on my parents; I'd probably still be in a coma to this day. If more parents cared enough to discipline their children, we probably wouldn't see this tide of youth violence that's plaguing our society. Now someone may say that this wasn't simple discipline but actual assault, but the actual details have yet to come out. From what I know of kids today, his daughter probably got too big for her britches and was subsequently knocked down a couple of pegs and rightly so.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
EXACTLY! (As are most of the things some people who are so righteous about WWJD....but thats a thread for a different day.)

The thing that gets me about the Buckhead branch of North Point (not an affiliate church, a branch) is that instead of having they're own pastor I've heard that they have this super high tech video screen that makes it appear as the pastor at the main campus is there on the stage preaching to them in person. What. The. F...
They do that at the main campus too. There are two auditoriums and he preaches in one and I guess some type if video set up projects him to the other.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Listen .a pastor can't help that there minitries grows. They didn't start off big u know. If u attend a small church and that ministry grows to be big . Are u going to just up and leave?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
In the man's defense being arrested doesn't mean anything. People can easily be arrested on a bogus charge. That's why the law says we are innocent until proven guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta