U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Still waiting for these "near open enrollment" stats. You make these blanket statements and almost never post anything to back them up. Reputations are good "for HBCU's" yet their grads have higher success rates than blacks that attend white schools. See, your little "comparisons" and data like using payscale don't account for a few obvious things. In general in this wonderful country, blacks in
Quote:
GENERAL still make less than their white counterparts regardless of where the degree is from.
But of course, that's not going to be an option to select from on payscale. Here's a challenge for you, where do the most successful black engineers and doctors graduate from?
so true.I was too tired to mention this.Glad you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
From Georgia Tech's website:

Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
Bachelor's (2011)
No. 2 in engineering bachelor's degrees awarded to African American students
No. 2 in engineering bachelor's degrees awarded to all categories of minority students
No. 4 in engineering bachelor's degrees awarded to Asian American students
No. 9 in architecture bachelor's degrees awarded to African American students
No. 10 in engineering bachelor's degrees awarded to Hispanic students
Master's (2011)
No. 4 in architecture master's degrees awarded to African American students
No. 6 in engineering master's degrees awarded to African American students
No. 6 in engineering master's degrees awarded to all categories of minority students
No. 8 in engineering master's degrees awarded to Asian American students
No. 8 in engineering master's degrees awarded to Hispanic students
Doctoral (2011)
No. 2 in engineering doctoral degrees awarded to African American students
No. 2 in engineering doctoral degrees awarded to Hispanic students
No. 2 in physical sciences doctoral degrees awarded to African American students
No. 4 in engineering doctoral degrees awarded to all categories of minority students
No. 6 in computer/information sciences doctoral degrees awarded to Asian American students

I'm sure you could find similar statistics from other very good, large engineering schools like Michigan, Cal, Illinois, Texas, etc.

Why would you assume that a HBCU produces the best black engineers? I'd certainly take the average black MIT or Stanford grad over the average black FAMU or NCA&T grad.
Im sure you know as I do where Georgia Tech has gotten its black engineers from.In any case if you do not:
Quote:
At any given time, about 150 African-American students are enrolled in a joint-degree program in which students obtain an undergraduate degree in liberal arts from the Atlanta University Center, then move on to obtain an undergraduate degree in engineering from Georgia Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,890 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im sure you know as I do where Georgia Tech has gotten its black engineers from.In any case if you do not:
That represents less than 20% of the black engineers at Georgia Tech. Try again.

However, this a Georgia Tech issue. My point that I'll reiterate is that any of the large, prestigious engineering colleges produce a diverse graduate base. The statement by a previous poster that the most successful black engineers come from HBCUs is laughable.

The HBCUs might be able to crank out significant volume of engineers, but don't compare FAMU to MIT.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 08-31-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
 
28,133 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
The HBCUs might be able to crank out significant volume of engineers, but don't compare FAMU to MIT.
Why not? While they may not be comparable in terms of research and advanced programs, I'd think that for undergraduate education and churning out garden variety engineers they'd be more or less equivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
That represents less than 20% of the black engineers at Georgia Tech. Try again.

However, this a Georgia Tech issue. My point that I'll reiterate is that any of the large, prestigious engineering colleges produce a diverse graduate base. The statement by a previous poster that the most successful black engineers come from HBCUs is laughable.

The HBCUs might be able to crank out significant volume of engineers, but don't compare FAMU to MIT.
I think it is YOU that need to "try again".Albany State,Fort Valley State,Dillard,and Clark Atlanta and many other HBCU's out of state,also have the same Dual Degree program

Georgia Tech IS and engineering school.Just Like MIT.I frankly don't know of ANY HBCU in which engineering is the top degree earned.One acception I think is Tuskegee.
I don't think its laughable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,890 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think it is YOU that need to "try again".Albany State,Fort Valley State,Dillard,and Clark Atlanta and many other HBCU's out of state,also have the same Dual Degree program

Georgia Tech IS and engineering school.Just Like MIT.I frankly don't know of ANY HBCU in which engineering is the top degree earned.One acception I think is Tuskegee.
I don't think its laughable
What point are you trying to make?

I'm not debating that HBCUs produce engineering graduates. Of course they do. Many schools have engineering programs. I'm challenging the assertion from a previous poster that the best ones come from HBCUs. There is no metric to prove that and all reasonable analysis would lead one to believe that a black engineer would likely be more successful coming out of a top engineering school, assuming they could get in one. Again, Tuskegee or MIT? FAMU or Cal? If you want to be an engineer, why not go to the best one you can. If you want to be a lawyer, wouldn't you go to the best school you could get into? Settling for a school that does not have many resources and lacks a great reputation within your desired field is a losing strategy. The only exception to that in my opinion is if that school is your only option in which case it is understandable.

Again, what are you trying to debate because you post makes little sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,890 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not? While they may not be comparable in terms of research and advanced programs, I'd think that for undergraduate education and churning out garden variety engineers they'd be more or less equivalent.
You have got to be joking right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What point are you trying to make?

I'm not debating that HBCUs produce engineering graduates. Of course they do. Many schools have engineering programs. I'm challenging the assertion from a previous poster that the best ones come from HBCUs. There is no metric to prove that and all reasonable analysis would lead one to believe that a black engineer would likely be more successful coming out of a top engineering school, assuming they could get in one. Again, Tuskegee or MIT? FAMU or Cal? If you want to be an engineer, why not go to the best one you can. If you want to be a lawyer, wouldn't you go to the best school you could get into? Settling for a school that does not have many resources and lacks a great reputation within your desired field is a losing strategy. The only exception to that in my opinion is if that school is your only option in which case it is understandable.

Again, what are you trying to debate because you post makes little sense.
I personally know more people that have gone to what you might call "mediocre" schools and have reached high pinnacles in their careers than the many I know that went to great schools with great reputations.
Opportunity and access are main reasons many people do not even apply to such schools in the first place.

Both my parents went to HBCU's in undergrad.My parents are highly successful and hold many positions of importance.Many blacks choose to go black schools for many different reasons,but you are a fool to act like if you do choose it over,say a, Harvard type then you cannot achieve sucesss.

Either way there is no facts to support what you say is true either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
 
1,250 posts, read 1,487,979 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Non-black students are free to attend any HBCU in the nation that they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I did not know this.

Do Morehouse, Clark, or Spellman have statistically significant non-black enrollment?



Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wait, you thought that HBCUs didn't allow or actively discouraged non-black students from applying? As some else has stated, this has never been the case and in fact quite the opposite is true of HBCU admissions.

A lot of white people are willfully ignorant about this stuff to the point of it being disgusting. You have to not even think or research for 2 min to think HBCUs actually discouraged or banned white people from going. This dude is supposedly educated too. Talk about loosing hope for humanity....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
 
28,133 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Reputation: 9534
When other schools are unable to make it financially, they typically seek out a merger partner or roll their programs into a more successful institution. Why is this not acceptable in the case of Morris Brown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top