Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What is your point? Morehouse didn't make the top 25 and wasn't listed in the 'next 20.' Morehouse was included in a study and didn't perform favorably? What does that prove? Morehouse could have been last on that list for all we know. What do you think that this link proves because you did a really poor job of making a point.

I wonder how many schools on that list charge $35,000 per year and can only produce a 43% graduation rate?
College* not University. It was a typo.

In addition to what gtcorndog said, that study is from 2010. It still doesn't change the fact that Morehouse in non-existant in the global landscape. THE rankings don't even list Morehouse in the top 400 schools in North America.

What my point is the price you pay for Morehouse, the quality of students at Morehouse is unacceptable. My gripe is not really directed at all HBCUs. Like I said, Spelman has done a good job. Morehouse and especially Clarke have not.

I don't understand how anyone can actually vouch for going to Morehouse or Clarke. In this economy especially.

Clark Atlanta University | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News

Really? Well at least it's cheaper than Morehouse.

We'll see what happens to them and their grads in the years to come. May the odds be ever in your favor....GSU has a football team now if you hadn't heard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
The problem is how expensive it is. Good schools turned into financial predators over the past 15 years, letting in most anyone who could pay the crazy tuition and fees, which was almost anyone, since anyone could get the student loans. I went to the Minnesota Norwegian version of an HBCU, and it was a good experience for me but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now "for the experience" because the tuition is totally out of bounds with what a graduate can realistically expect to make. If I had B+ kids and wanted to drop that kind of coin on their education I'd just buy them a ski chalet and pay out of state tuition in Colorado so I could go snowboarding when I visited them.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
What is your point? Morehouse didn't make the top 25 and wasn't listed in the 'next 20.' Morehouse was included in a study and didn't perform favorably? What does that prove? Morehouse could have been last on that list for all we know. What do you think that this link proves because you did a really poor job of making a point.

I wonder how many schools on that list charge $35,000 per year and can only produce a 43% graduation rate?
A list of 100 in which recruiters say are there favorite spots for talent. Isnt that what kids hope that they can be seen when recruiters come to their school?I dont claim Morehouse is like Harvard or Emory.Neither is GaTech or UGA .The college does graduate successful students that are sought after .Thats all that really matters.Especially when you accept the fact that graduation rates at PWU's among minority students are also much lower than their white counterparts.Another fact that you seem to neglect.

Again.PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!STOP BEING SELECTIVE!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
College* not University. It was a typo.

In addition to what gtcorndog said, that study is from 2010. It still doesn't change the fact that Morehouse in non-existant in the global landscape. THE rankings don't even list Morehouse in the top 400 schools in North America.

What my point is the price you pay for Morehouse, the quality of students at Morehouse is unacceptable. My gripe is not really directed at all HBCUs. Like I said, Spelman has done a good job. Morehouse and especially Clarke have not.

I don't understand how anyone can actually vouch for going to Morehouse or Clarke. In this economy especially.

Clark Atlanta University | Overall Rankings | Best College | US News

Really? Well at least it's cheaper than Morehouse.

We'll see what happens to them and their grads in the years to come. May the odds be ever in your favor....GSU has a football team now if you hadn't heard....
I see the other points I made are on deaf ear.You are not talking about just one school.You were suggesting all HBCU's serve no real purpose than promoting racism.That thought is the very meaning of what racism is.You know one can be a bigot without being a racist and vice versa.

A racistis simply a person who thinks their race is more superior than another.If you suggest that somehow due to African American history and culture in which these schools keep alive by their very existence, should now be closed because the mainstream has allowed us as blacks to go where we choose is a deep seated animosity that you should deal with.

Why had not so many HBCU's have had to close because then state system in many states where taxes of whites and blacks paid over the years that blacks schools still this day put more than what they put in?
Why should a school like Macon State College(a 2 year school then)30 years ago get more funding than neighboring Fort Valley State got more when it has been a 4 year.Especially when its the only state 4 year school in middle GA?
It was worse in Mississippi.Sorry if you cant understand that the HBCU's are not somehow responsible for "racism" when so many minorities cant even get into PWI's and dont perform as well sometimes when they do.After all why do you suppose in this day in age when white students cant afford college and rather sit out than go to a black college that is equitable?I ask you:If a black school had as good a numbers as others you were interetsed in that were PWI's,would you go to a black school if you were allotted the same status as blacks were at white schools?

I was about to say that im not calling you a racist, but I quickly remembered thats what you have inferred about people who go to HBCU's are.So help me understand how you are not?Im really not even trying to argue more than just making a point.Meaning that it is very easy for someone who is not a minority to see things though they are a minority.You just cant because you cant wear another shoes and see how unbalanced a lot of things in this country are.

As a minority I can honestly say I welcome all to be apart of my culture and heriatge at the HBCU I attended. UGA represents to me a school where there were minorities who had to have a military help them go to school because white people did not want them.Now its 2012 and you suggesting that blacks schools are the reason we cannot move forward?I know,"why don't we force churches to integrate. Ebeneezer can close and all the black people will have to go to Charles Stanley's First Baptist.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-21-2012 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What have I said that isn't truthful? I just don't think you like the facts. You can try to sugarcoat them anyway you want, but at the end of the day, a turd is a turd.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!
Yes that so you!! I gave you facts.Facts you give are always selective.I learned a long time ago reading your post what a turd really is.
Like I said a 10000x :The list of alumni speaks for itself.

That nonsense about no one recent was bull crap and you know it.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-21-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
What do you know, another white man that thinks HBCU's no longer serve a purpose. They decide when we weren't good enough for their schools and now they decide when we no longer need the schools that we have lol. And the last paragraph is some of the dumbest nonsense on earth. Honestly here's a bit of advice for you, we don't care what you think and HBCU's aren't going anywhere.
Bloop Bloop!!! Now u said that

Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I see the other points I made are on deaf ear.You are not talking about just one school.You were suggesting all HBCU's serve no real purpose than promoting racism.That thought is the very meaning of what racism is.You know one can be a bigot without being a racist and vice versa.

A racistis simply a person who thinks their race is more superior than another.If you suggest that somehow due to African American history and culture in which these schools keep alive by their very existence, should now be closed because the mainstream has allowed us as blacks to go where we choose is a deep seated animosity that you should deal with.

Why had not so many HBCU's have had to close because then state system in many states where taxes of whites and blacks paid over the years that blacks schools still this day put more than what they put in?
Why should a school like Macon State College(a 2 year school then)30 years ago get more funding than neighboring Fort Valley State got more when it has been a 4 year.Especially when its the only state 4 year school in middle GA?
It was worse in Mississippi.Sorry if you cant understand that the HBCU's are not somehow responsible for "racism" when so many minorities cant even get into PWI's and dont perform as well sometimes when they do.After all why do you suppose in this day in age when white students cant afford college and rather sit out than go to a black college that is equitable?I ask you:If a black school had as good a numbers as others you were interetsed in that were PWI's,would you go to a black school if you were allotted the same status as blacks were at white schools?

I was about to say that i, not calling you a racist but I quickly remembered thats what you have inferred about people you go to HBCU's are concerned with.So help me understand how you are not?Im really not even trying to argue more than just making a point.Meaning that it is very easy for someone who is not a minority to see things though they are a minority.You just cant because you cant wear another shoes and see how unbalanced a lot of things in this country are.

As a minority I can honestly say I welcome all to be apart of my culture and heriatge at the HBCU I attended. UGA represents to me a school where there were minorities who had to have a military help them go to school because white people did not want them.Now its 2012 and you suggesting that blacks schools are the reason we cannot move forward?I know,"why don't we force churches to integrate. Ebeneezer can close and all the black people will have to go to Charles Stanley's First Baptist.
Very bluntly put corndog...

How did this become a discussion about the progression of African Americans in America? What in the world. I'm not racist at all, and that was never my intention. I am WELL AWARE of the racial bias at universities across the nation including UGA and Tech. I am WELL AWARE that controlled for all other things AAs earn less. I am WELL AWARE of the achievement gap. That, my friend, is sociology. I can't argue that. I'm not trying to say, hey HBCUs you're worthless now, close your doors and send your students to real schools. That's probably what you got out of my posts. I said so many times that Spelman is a very successful school for female AAs. And it is!

Alright, let me clarify.

Here's my take-home message; If you're African American and considering sending your kids to Morehouse or Clarke U consider the cost/benefit analysis more cost for Morehouse and more benefit for Clarke U.

I don't know about all the other HBCUs. I'm not some sort of HBCU researcher. I only know that one school in TN has lost it's accreditation or is on verge of losing it. I only know about Georgia schools enough to comment on them. Them meaning Spelman, Morehouse and Clarke.

Again, If you're African American and considering sending your kids to Morehouse or Clarke U consider the cost/benefit analysis more cost for Morehouse and more benefit for Clarke U.

I'm not looking out for you, parents, I'm looking out for your kid that's going to have to tough it out when you're gone. The days of high school diplomas or less being the norm among the middle class are coming to an end.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
It became a discussion about African Americans when you started discrediting HBCU schools. Since you're so passionate about other people's kids future, how about doing orientation you rally up with your main man here and let the parents know how they're wasting there time Letting there kids go to these HBCU schools. Also let them know how they're not going to get the same proper education that kids at Georgia Tech and Emory are going to get and how the professors teaching abilities dont amount to the teaching abilities of those of Ivy League schools and that there kids aren't going to get good paying jobs out there. Don't pay that money when u can pay that amount somewhere else and get a better education. This sums u and corn dog up in a nutshell. You guys post are very offensive to those who have worked just as hard for there diploma and its offensive to those professors who work hard to make sure these students at Morehouse are properly educated.

Quote:

How did this become a discussion about the progression of African Americans in America? What in the world. I'm not racist at all, and that was never my intention. I am WELL AWARE of the racial bias at universities across the nation including UGA and Tech. I am WELL AWARE that controlled for all other things AAs earn less. I am WELL AWARE of the achievement gap. That, my friend, is sociology. I can't argue that. I'm not trying to say, hey HBCUs you're worthless now, close your doors and send your students to real schools. That's probably what you got out of my posts. I said so many times that Spelman is a very successful school for female AAs. And it is!

Alright, let me clarify.

Here's my take-home message; If you're African American and considering sending your kids to Morehouse or Clarke U consider the cost/benefit analysis more cost for Morehouse and more benefit for Clarke U.

I don't know about all the other HBCUs. I'm not some sort of HBCU researcher. I only know that one school in TN has lost it's accreditation or is on verge of losing it. I only know about Georgia schools enough to comment on them. Them meaning Spelman, Morehouse and Clarke.

Again, If you're African American and considering sending your kids to Morehouse or Clarke U consider the cost/benefit analysis more cost for Morehouse and more benefit for Clarke U.

I'm not looking out for you, parents, I'm looking out for your kid that's going to have to tough it out when you're gone. The days of high school diplomas or less being the norm among the middle class are coming to an end.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Alright, let me clarify.

Im not intentionally trying to insult you and I dont get in your post that you are intentionally trying to be offensive.But it is offensive when say you are simply looking out for all kids futures including mine(only have a 5year old nephew) when you cannot possibly understand the worth of 'HBCU's and why some black parents want to send their kids to a school that has less achievement than traditional schools.Do you really think that you know more than they?
My parents met at the HBCU I attended.That school by numbers is no better today than when my father went there and later got his Ph.D and has since been head of many statewide education,business and civic post in leadership positions.How do you explain why so many blacks like my parents and grandparents were able to be educated in blacks schools and later work in mainstream schools systems,courts,business ,etc.

Black people live shorter lives on average.A lot of it is stress.Black schools give those kids who lack the ability to be educated in a environment that helps them feel comfrtable in their own skin so when they do step out in the so called diverse world they can do so with pride as those HBCU's care more about there students.Numbers just dont tell that story. Im not saying at all that blacks cannot do well in PWI's but its obvious by the stats show that blacks students have lower graduation rates than whites?Black people are just as smart so unless you think they are not ,then what other reason can YOU suggest for these lower rates?

Tell me this honestly:Of those Morehouse Men you have met(some I agree can be full of themselves at times)are honestly dog bad professionally?

One other thing

Last edited by afonega1; 10-22-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes that so you!! I gave you facts.Facts you give are always selective.I learned a long time ago reading your post what a turd really is.
Like I said a 10000x :The list of alumni speaks for itself.

That nonsense about no one recent was bull crap and you know it.
To summarize:

I give facts:
- Graduation Rate
- Declining attendance
- Starting Salary
- Mid-career Salary

You give opinions:
- You stated that a list of alumni from 30+ years ago is an accurate reflection of where the college stands today.
- You met some lawyers from Morehouse that one time and you thought "wow, that school is great."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta