Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times

Advertisements

I have been looking in these areas and some of it can be quite nice. Other areas... quite sketchy. Drive around, it is easy to tell. Are there large groups of grown men sitting outside an apartment complex at 2 in the afternoon... probably not the best area. Honestly, I have been basing my target houses on whether or not there are apartments close by. And there are a lot of small apartment complexes mixed in with single family homes.

Use common sense and realize that both CP and EP can change quickly in a matter of a block or two. But there are TONS of nice places to live there and I know a lot of people that love living there. I find CP to be the nicer of the two but EP certainly has some nice areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
I have family who live in Jefferson Park in East Point and I can vouch that it's quite nice.
As I was looking at houses in Jefferson Park, I started to fall in love with it. Until I went down one street and there were 5-7 houses with full body targets with a respectable shot pattern proudly displayed on the lawns and front porches. WTF? I'm just going to take that as a warning, and I don't want to live somewhere that requires that instead of ADT signs. Damn shame too, that seemed like a nice hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Red Oak, Old Nat, Godby, Washington Rd, Cleveland Ave, Roosevelt Hwy etc. Now you know the hoods for the most part, be easy

Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM

472 posts, read 809,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
there are a lot of idiots who have come in here and replied, and i assume that many of them have never been to either east point or college park because neither is hood or rough unless you're talking about way west of the downtown areas or up north around campbellton road. right around the downtown areas are some pretty nice and beautiful neighbourhoods that listening to a bunch of fools would make you miss out on. if you don't believe me, here are some google maps views:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

this is actually a neat house with a stream running under it:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

these guys are jerks for perpetuating the myth that college park is "hood". college park is only "hood" for someone who grew up safe but wants somewhere to rep to sound gangsta. college park did have some projects back in the 80s and before, but were in the aforementioned west and north parts of town and have been gone for years.

the only places you should look out for are cleveland avenue east of norman berry, down around camp creek parkway, and up around campbellton road, which is not east point anyway.

seriously, one of the most elite private schools used by folks from all over the metro (woodward academy) is located in downtown college park. you guys need to shut up and go back to johns creek.
College Park worst for crime, FBI stats say | www.ajc.com

Nice houses on Google maps does not constitute an area to be a place to raise a family bryantm3.

"College Park, a city of 19,936 that borders Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, repeated as No. 1 in metro Atlanta in the three main rankings: violent, property and total crime. It averaged 1,178 crimes per 10,000 people in 2009. East Point was next, at 870 crimes per 10,000. Atlanta, with 10 times more population than most of its surrounding cities, had 734 crimes per 10,000 people."

But...

"Overall, metro Atlanta appeared to be doing a better job of crime-fighting than similar sized regions elsewhere in the country, according to Volkan Topalli, associate professor of criminal justice at Georgia State University.
“[The region’s] crime rate has gone down and at a slightly better clip than other cities that are a lot more distressed than we are,” Topalli said.

Ironically, Johns Creek also has a Woodward academy campus. However, you can't use private schools to gauge a location. You must use public schools for such a measure. This article is from 2012:

Nearly 40 metro Atlanta schools among Georgia's worst performing | 11alive.com

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
College Park worst for crime, FBI stats say | www.ajc.com

Nice houses on Google maps does not constitute an area to be a place to raise a family bryantm3.

"College Park, a city of 19,936 that borders Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, repeated as No. 1 in metro Atlanta in the three main rankings: violent, property and total crime. It averaged 1,178 crimes per 10,000 people in 2009. East Point was next, at 870 crimes per 10,000. Atlanta, with 10 times more population than most of its surrounding cities, had 734 crimes per 10,000 people."

But...

"Overall, metro Atlanta appeared to be doing a better job of crime-fighting than similar sized regions elsewhere in the country, according to Volkan Topalli, associate professor of criminal justice at Georgia State University.
“[The region’s] crime rate has gone down and at a slightly better clip than other cities that are a lot more distressed than we are,” Topalli said.

Ironically, Johns Creek also has a Woodward academy campus. However, you can't use private schools to gauge a location. You must use public schools for such a measure. This article is from 2012:

Nearly 40 metro Atlanta schools among Georgia's worst performing | 11alive.com
from wikipedia:

In 2008 College Park had the highest crime rate in Georgia. Many areas associated with College Park aren't in the city proper. These areas are under the jurisdiction of the Clayton and Fulton County Police Departments, respectively.

second of all, your article from 2012 shows NO schools in college park. college park is under fulton county schools and tri-cities high school which serves east point, college park, and hapeville, has an award winning drama program:

Tri-Cities High School's Award Winning Drama Program Opens August Wilson

third, have you ever used the website spotcrime.org or other crime-mapping websites? they show you where the crimes occur in the city of your choosing— do a quick search on any of those websites and you'll see that the crimes that occur in college park are well outside the downtown area, OTP, near riverdale.

i'm not claiming that college park down below the airport which is really college park "in name only", or college park way south and west are perfectly safe areas. they're not. i'm talking about DOWNTOWN college park and the historic neighbourhoods surrounding it.

also i don't think you understand what i mean when i say woodward academy is in college park— woodward academy is a private elementary, middle and high school campus with separate buildings, located on the old site of the georgia military academy. it's the only woodward academy location that has grades 6-12. it is IN downtown college park and the campus is open. students walk to and from classes throughout the day, within walking distance of downtown college park:

Google Maps

it's becoming incredibly obvious that the only experience you've had with college park is listening to rap records. downtown college park is safe— i challenge you to drive down there and spend some time near woodward academy and rugby avenue. otherwise, please stop spreading dis-information.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 AM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
As I was looking at houses in Jefferson Park, I started to fall in love with it. Until I went down one street and there were 5-7 houses with full body targets with a respectable shot pattern proudly displayed on the lawns and front porches. WTF? I'm just going to take that as a warning, and I don't want to live somewhere that requires that instead of ADT signs. Damn shame too, that seemed like a nice hood.
There are plenty of homes in the neighborhood that are quaint. I'll admit, that there are houses that need to be torn down but overall, the place is pretty quiet. I liked it. It took a while to comfortable with it given the stigma of SW Atlanta but after living there for a while it really didn't seem nearly as bad as people made it out to be.
All the community really needs is local investment and growth of the city's downtown area. If people reinvest in the neighborhoods there then the community actually would be pretty amazing. Close to a MARTA stop and one of the best burger joints in town *American Burger

Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
from wikipedia:

In 2008 College Park had the highest crime rate in Georgia. Many areas associated with College Park aren't in the city proper. These areas are under the jurisdiction of the Clayton and Fulton County Police Departments, respectively.

second of all, your article from 2012 shows NO schools in college park. college park is under fulton county schools and tri-cities high school which serves east point, college park, and hapeville, has an award winning drama program:

Tri-Cities High School's Award Winning Drama Program Opens August Wilson

third, have you ever used the website spotcrime.org or other crime-mapping websites? they show you where the crimes occur in the city of your choosing— do a quick search on any of those websites and you'll see that the crimes that occur in college park are well outside the downtown area, OTP, near riverdale.

i'm not claiming that college park down below the airport which is really college park "in name only", or college park way south and west are perfectly safe areas. they're not. i'm talking about DOWNTOWN college park and the historic neighbourhoods surrounding it.

also i don't think you understand what i mean when i say woodward academy is in college park— woodward academy is a private elementary, middle and high school campus with separate buildings, located on the old site of the georgia military academy. it's the only woodward academy location that has grades 6-12. it is IN downtown college park and the campus is open. students walk to and from classes throughout the day, within walking distance of downtown college park:

Google Maps

it's becoming incredibly obvious that the only experience you've had with college park is listening to rap records. downtown college park is safe— i challenge you to drive down there and spend some time near woodward academy and rugby avenue. otherwise, please stop spreading dis-information.
McClarin is in CP

Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
Historical East Point and College Park are actually nice areas. Main street in East Point is pretty decent (especially the Colonial Hills area).

You want to stay away from Old National in College Park and other unattractive areas in East Pont. Check out East Point and College Park PD crime maps

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Ive got 2 words...ghe-tto...yea i said two words
Two words? No, two syllables.

OP: See above ignorant comment that I was referring to earlier. It's doubtful that this person has ever set foot in the area, and if so apparently judged the entire area by whatever housing project he/she was visiting.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Main street in East Point is pretty decent (especially the Colonial Hills area).
After some Google scouting I thought I had found a great hood in Colonial Hills. Visited this past Sunday and was disappointed. While the houses were generally well maintained, they are very small lots and we got some damn nasty looks as a young white couple. I am familiar with EP and CP and know there are fine areas where everyone seems to get along, but I got a bad vibe from that place. Shame too as it has a ton of potential, kinda of isolated (in a good community way) and a very easy walk to Ft Mac MARTA station.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
my job is relocating to collegepark and i decided to relocate in about 3 months, any recomendations on where i can find a place to rent not to expensive, low crime and the traficc is not terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta