Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times

Advertisements

You could provide a $100,000 check to every single resident of metro Atlanta and some people would find a reason to claim it is racist.

That, more than anything else, is what is inhibiting progress in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That is a strong accusation. Especially given that our freeways were built similar to many other cities across the U.S. Were you and your family even from here at the time?
I agree with your post, cw, and have said much the same thing myself.

However, it is well documented in contemporaneous materials that the freeways were (in part) utilized as racial barriers.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You could provide a $100,000 check to every single resident of metro Atlanta and some people would find a reason to claim it is racist.
Of course it would have racial implications. Do all those rich people up in Forsyth and Milton need a $100,000 check as much as less fortunate residents in other parts of the city? And if they got one, are they going to put it to work in the community or just throw it into their already gigantic hoppers?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Of course it would have racial implications. Do all those rich people up in Forsyth and Milton need a $100,000 check as much as less fortunate residents in other parts of the city? And if they got one, are they going to put it to work in the community or just throw it into their already gigantic hoppers?
That sounds classist to me, not racist. The two terms are not the same, and equating the two is part of the problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That sounds classist to me, not racist. The two terms are not the same, and equating the two is part of the problem.
Well, there is truth in that, rc, but there have been persistent correlates between race and economic status. That's not the case everywhere but it is some parts of Atlanta.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM

See, you can't even treat every single person exactly the same without someone piping in feeling discriminated against for not getting preferential treatment.

I hope that is sarcasm because if it isn't, that's a truly messed up view of the world.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM

225 posts, read 369,208 times
I been trying to find an apartment in the downtown area but no luck. They don't necessarily advertise the apartments/lofts over there. You either have to know the owner of the buildings or be on a waiting list. Or either trying to be a condo buyer & I am not. I would like to be in the heart of downtown. West Midtown is getting a little pricey now days for a decent modern floor plan apartment. My rent was going to be an astronomical amount if I had renewed. Midtown is getting even higher.

I don't know why people treat Downtown as such. Its a quick train ride/walk/bicycle to Midtown. You can get all the offerings of Midtown without the Midtown Price. So i Never understood that notation that it lacks amenities and such. You literally 5 minutes from everything. And Midtown Traffic is bad everyday during rush hour. West Peachtree, Peachtree, Spring, North Avenue are literally parking lots during rush hour commute.

I do have to agree with the homeless being a problem but they never bother me so.......

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

However, it is well documented in contemporaneous materials that the freeways were (in part) utilized as racial barriers.
Exactly. Though they were not always placed due to racial barriers, some actually were.

Well stated, arjay. And cqholt was right to a certain point.

I-20 on the southwest, in particular, was placed in its location to appease the whites of Southwest Atlanta/Westview/West End and prevent blacks from moving in.

It didn't work, ultimately (for a variety of reasons).

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM

I'd like to see some sort of proof about that.

And I don't mean some editorial written by a 23 year old in Creative Loafing.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'd like to see some sort of proof about that.

And I don't mean some editorial written by a 23 year old in Creative Loafing.
Oh, TJL, you know me well enough to know I don't pop off with nonsense that isn't backed up with the facts.

The use of highways to separate black and white residential communities was common all over the country, in cities from Boston to Los Angeles. It happened here, too, though it was certainly not just a southern phenomenon.

There are many primary sources but you can get a good overview from The Separate City: Black Communities in the Urban South, 1940-1968 by Professors Chris Silver and John Moeser. See pp. 136-44, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta