Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Not really I moved downtown to be close to my job at the 191 peachtree tower. I'm very please with my apartment, and the choice of transit, bars, and the ability to walk to work. I do agree that Five Points look like a third world country, and something really need to change for Five Points today. I say close off that Plaza area, where people just hang around and be idle, reroute Marta buses to other stations from Five Points, which have idle people standing around also.
For the life of me I cannot understand why Five Points can't be cleaned up. Everybody from the residents to the downtown hotels and businesses to the City Council has been begging for it for decades.

We parcel out billions of tax dollars to support Underground, TAD subsidies, the Streetcar, MARTA, the Dome and the World Congress Center, and umpteen other downtown projects, yet we let this ugly canker-sore continue to fester right in the middle of it?

Is the bum lobby so powerful that they can override anyone??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
reroute Marta buses to other stations from Five Points, which have idle people standing around also.
That is the plan for the MMPT.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Hopefully the opening of our two new museums in 2014 will help

Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
The city council is working on another plan to revitalize downtown. (I know, these have been going on for 60 years, but still).

Quote:
The task force would focus on attracting more development and people to the neighborhood, Willis said. He wants to know why Atlantans "don't want to come to downtown." The $500,000 study would include looking at Underground Atlanta, which Mayor Kasim Reed thinks could be used more effectively.

"You can't fix Underground without fixing everything around it and you can't fix everything around it without fixing Underground," said Willis.

In addition, the group will pay close attention to the areas surrounding the large number of government buildings that make up south downtown. In most Georgia cities, Willis said, the government areas are "the most pristine" parts of those cities. But Atlanta's seems to be an exception to that rule.

"It's flat out embarrassing," Willis told CL.

More....City Councilmembers want downtown development task force | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The city council is working on another plan to revitalize downtown. (I know, these have been going on for 60 years, but still).
They've been saying this same thing for ages now. Nothing has changed. Five points and the immediate area around it is still a ****hole.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:46 AM

Right now would be a great time for some new apartments downtown. New Hudson Grill just opened, Waffle House is opening soon, two new museums, streetcar plus a Game-X (arcade/restaurant) is opening soon.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Alot of MARTA buses final destinations from the not so nice areas is 5 Points. That to go with the trashy places like the Metro Mall and the other stores south of 5 pts and the large amount of homeless people south of that, its going to take alot and a long time to clean up that area. No one is going to pay a premium to live down there to come out their front door and be met with that on a regular basis.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Alot of MARTA buses final destinations from the not so nice areas is 5 Points. That to go with the trashy places like the Metro Mall and the other stores south of 5 pts and the large amount of homeless people south of that, its going to take alot and a long time to clean up that area. No one is going to pay a premium to live down there to come out their front door and be met with that on a regular basis.

(We are ONLY talking about the area around Centennial Park, not the area around Underground Atlanta)

Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
(We are ONLY talking about the area around Centennial Park, not the area around Underground Atlanta)
Who is we? The posts just before yours were talking about Underground.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Who is we? The posts just before yours were talking about Underground.
Yeah, apparently downtown is now only around the Centennial Olympic park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta