Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,773 times

Advertisements

What about crime rate? Add that into the equation and get back to me with your results.

Some of you try so hard to fight for your beliefs while ignoring realities. It is comical. Cue the "well the crime isn't that bad posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
What about crime rate? Add that into the equation and get back to me with your results.

Some of you try so hard to fight for your beliefs while ignoring realities. It is comical. Cue the "well the crime isn't that bad posts.
gtcorndog - Yes, the neighborhoods I mentioned with $50K homes likely have worse crime rates than than those with the $200K homes. But they are $50K homes, you are making sacrifices to get that price. You are free to do your own research and contribute it to the discussion with actual facts and sources and I can show you examples of in-town areas that can best meet those needs. However if you try hard enough I am sure you will be able to come up with enough different combinations of demands that an in-town neighborhood in Atlanta cannot meet. You prefer the suburbs and that is OK.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
I HATE the strong willed opinions that are posted in these types of topics that pit one group against another. At the end of the day its great that we have both options. For me personally, the suburban area mentioned is too isolated without things that interest me and doesn't appear to have job centers nearby. I know people out there and from Midtown its a hell of a long haul to get out there and that's during non rush hour traffic. Your budget does get shifted around when you drive 80 miles a day round trip to work and back. Just not for me, but definitely good schools. Maybe a townhouse for $250k in Decatur school district might be a choice I will make but I understand many others want the house and yard first.

It is however something many of us with kids and around the medium income range have to consider as our kids become school aged and we face decisions on what is acceptable.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ok. If we are going by "GreatSchools" Rankings. You can buy houses for less than $50k (less than a fourth of the cost of many of those places you cite in the suburbs) in Pittsburg and Adair Park in Carver which gets a "10" on there.

Adair Park Real Estate & Adair Park Atlanta Homes for Sale - Zillow

Early College High School at Carver - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

That school doesn't really appear to be a normal public school and is just part of the overall Carver High School(and most other parts are in the 2-3 range on Great Schools). I am not sure how much that counts(although the OP's school of choice I don't believe was just a normal public school people are districted for either).

Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
As with all of the ITP vs OTP debates, the answer to your question is - it doesn't matter. We are talking about something that is total personal preference. Two people can look at the exact same situation, and one person thinks it is ideal while the other thinks the exact opposite. Its like two people looking at a beautiful view of nature, and one person sees the wonder of God while the other sees the wonder of plate tectonics and natural selection. There is no convincing either one that the other is right.

Or as the saying goes "de gustibus non est disputandum".

Remember, the "cost of living" depends on what you call "living", and "cost" is relative to what you value.
Well said, 10 feet tall.

As always, costs are set by the market. That takes into account a host of factors, including individual tastes and values. Some people are willing to pay a premium to live in swanky neighborhoods like Milton or Virginia Highland, whereas others will say "I can get everything I want for a lot less money right here in good old Cobb county."

Either position is completely justifiable.

Of course it's unrealistic to say "Why can't I live in area _______ for the same price I'm paying here?" That kind of argument assumes that free markets either don't exist or that they have no impact.

We all know that's not true in the real world. I may personally believe that my $20,000 Kia will do everything a $70,000 Porsche will do and I may be right. But that doesn't mean Porsche has to lower the price of its automobile.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
That school doesn't really appear to be a normal public school and is just part of the overall Carver High School(and most other parts are in the 2-3 range on Great Schools). I am not sure how much that counts(although the OP's school of choice I don't believe was just a normal public school people are districted for either).
Yep, I think it is the same sort of thing as "Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology" that I was asked to compare it to, where limited students are able to attend.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 PM

421 posts, read 749,972 times
Quote:
Yep, I think it is the same sort of thing as "Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology" that I was asked to compare it to, where limited students are able to attend.
Do you know any intown area with home prices that compare to prices in regular high schools districts in Gwinett with scores of 8-10 like Duluth High?

30096 Real Estate & 30096 Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Do you know any intown area with home prices that compare to prices in regular high schools districts in Gwinett with scores of 8-10 like Duluth High?
Nope. None that "GreatSchools.com" ranks as an "8" like Duluth. The best by their rankings is a "7".

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM

329 posts, read 638,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Freeminds

You do realize that GCSMS is lottery admission right. As its popularity grows, it will be get more and more difficult to get into. So buying a home in Gwinnett doesn't guarantee you a thing in terms of this school.
lottery admission? does this apply to everyone that wants to go to GCSMS? does this mean one has an equal chance of getting in as another child, or do they give preference to a child that has shown more aptitude / intelligence / etc? are there any special requirements each applicant has to go through?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM

421 posts, read 749,972 times
Quote:
Nope. None that "GreatSchools.com" ranks as an "8" like Duluth. The best by their rankings is a "7".
Well, ok. I am in my late 20s not but not really looking to have kids for at least a few more years ( around 30ish) anyway. Hopefully more options are available when I am ready and my kids are school age. It looks like some schools are changing for both better and worst and maybe I wont have to go OTP or at least far OTP for good school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta