Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times

Advertisements

For myself I would in a second give up the garage, basement and 4th bedroom. Of course you will not find equal house features and a more in demand location for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Seems like everyone thinks, if they just look hard enough, they can find that one little gem of an area, with excellent schools, low taxes, 4 bedroom homes with basements and garages for $200k, with great walkable amenities, no crime, and a 15 minute drive to the city center. Those areas DO exist, they are just . . . in Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
For myself I would in a second give up the garage, basement and 4th bedroom. Of course you will not find equal house features and a more in demand location for the same price.
Agreed. And I think you can still live the same quality of life (or better) in the city without the garage, basement and 4th bedroom at the same price.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I fervently disagree.
So you'd posture that it's possible to spend similar money closer to the city with equivalent square footage, safety, public schools, taxes, and local amenities?

Things like "quality of life" might be subjective and open to interpretation . . . so if that is what you are fervently disagreeing with, I think you are missing my point. You cannot buy equivalent space and size for the same price closer to the city without sacrificing something. You could argue that you don't need that extra space, but that is a separate discussion.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
So you'd posture that it's possible to spend similar money closer to the city with equivalent square footage, safety, public schools, taxes, and local amenities?

Things like "quality of life" might be subjective and open to interpretation . . . so if that is what you are fervently disagreeing with, I think you are missing my point. You cannot buy equivalent space and size for the same price closer to the city without sacrificing something. You could argue that you don't need that extra space, but that is a separate discussion.
You are never going to find something that is the exact same between two areas. I am arguing that living in the city involves different factors but you can achieve the same "quality of life". For example you may not get the same square footage but better local amenities. But yes, I suppose "quality of life" can be subjective.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Basically a lot of what is more private in the suburbs is shared in the city. There are more parks since people have less or no land. In the suburbs everyone has an suv(not literally). In the city more people can take the train. Art is another good example that has an effect on quality of life too. You simply can't compare the two just on the price of your home. Urban living comes with a lot more amenities.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Urban living comes with a lot more amenities.
The value of amenities are debatable though. Maybe someone enjoys being able to sit in their backyard and talk to a friend without the neighbors hearing the conversation while another enjoys MARTA access. Maybe someone else values being close to bars/restaurants while another person isn't bothered a bit by driving to them. It's all personal preference.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
The value of amenities are debatable though. Maybe someone enjoys being able to sit in their backyard and talk to a friend without the neighbors hearing the conversation while another enjoys MARTA access. Maybe someone else values being close to bars/restaurants while another person isn't bothered a bit by driving to them. It's all personal preference.
You're exactly right. It is debatable, if you have the money. Try living in Forsyth without a car. The city is better for people with less money. Services the lower class needs are more readily available. Middle and upper class folk will do fine wherever.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 AM

I don't think there is anything "bad" about being suburban, but I do see it as ultimately being a more exclusive lifestyle. It is designed that way on purpose too. The curvilinear street layout is designed to keep pesky poor people out.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Lofty Unit In Heart Of Midtown Asks, Um, $99K - On the Market - Curbed Atlanta

Old 04-30-2013, 12:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I agree. It's worth noting that most people who live in the city proper also reside in single family homes in areas that were developed as suburbs. In terms of land use, there's really not much difference between, say, Kirkwood, Adams Park, Virginia Highland or Peachtree Hills and scads of neighborhoods in the suburban counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta