Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 4,287 times

Advertisements

1. Budget: Rent: $500-$700
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Apt/condo/twnhome
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)--working from home
4. Children(public school vs. private)-none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two----mix?
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?--- not necessary
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighbor--diverse community

So I am thinking about moving to ATL from Tallahassee, Fl. I'm a 25 yr old African American male, graduated from college in 2010 and am contemplating going back to grad school but still undecided. Tallahassee is a college town and quite frankly I feel like I've outgrown this city and am ready to be surrounded by more young professionals like myself. I've visited Atl a few times and think the lifestyle would probably suit me once I get a feel. I would like to live in an area not necessarily in the "heart of the city", but within about 30 mins of midtown/perimiter/or buckhead areas. I work from home so work commute isnt really an issue. I just dont want to be in the "hood" (and y'all know what I mean....no college park lol) and I also don't want to be too far away from everything. Would like a nice place to live within my budget. I know all of this may not be attainable in one package so I'm willing to compromise on some things. Im sure this is probably kinda vague but any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Looking to move around sept-oct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,304 times
500-700 is gonna be difficult to do on your own for a decent place in the areas you'd be talking about (which I'd recommend the area where buckhead and sandy springs cross). If you can deal with a roommate and pay that amount on your own, that will open most options for you. And btw, I'd advice waiting until the end of October to move, otherwise you're gonna be dealing with everybody being in town for pride activities, but if you're gonna participate in that then again that's one less problem.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:04 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
500-700 is gonna be difficult to do on your own for a decent place in the areas you'd be talking about (which I'd recommend the area where buckhead and sandy springs cross). If you can deal with a roommate and pay that amount on your own, that will open most options for you. And btw, I'd advice waiting until the end of October to move, otherwise you're gonna be dealing with everybody being in town for pride activities, but if you're gonna participate in that then again that's one less problem.
...That's really good advice.

ATLBoundMayB, my personal experience is that $500-700 monthly typically gets one either a much older apartment or just a single room in Atlanta.

With that kind of budget, in addition to taking mattee01's advice and looking for a roommate, you might also want to consider renting a room on a monthly basis as a "nice" rental in Atlanta usually starts at about $900-1000 a month at the absolute dirt cheapest.

Another approach is to start out renting a room or someplace really economical and make lots of friends with the local chapter of the alumni association of your alma mater and see if you can find any roommates going that route.

You can also look for potential roommates as well as rooms on websites like Roommates.com, ajc.com (the online rental ad section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta's main daily newspaper) and the rental classifieds section of Atlanta's main alternative newspaper, Creative Loafing Atlanta.

A link to the Atlanta section of Roommates.com-
Roommates, Roommateservice, roommate search - Roommates.com | Atlanta, GA | Page 1

The apartment/rental section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution-
Apartments / Homes for Rent | www.ajc.com

The rental classifieds section of Creative Loafing Atlanta-
atlanta - rentals classifieds - creativeloafing.com

By no means are these sites the end-all be-all for rental search, but they are a good place to start your search.

Good luck with your search. I hope that you find what you are looking for and I hope that you find success in Atlanta.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
You can find that price range in Smyrna and the 30329 area

Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Thanks a lot. I'll def take these things into consideration!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
...That's really good advice.

ATLBoundMayB, my personal experience is that $500-700 monthly typically gets one either a much older apartment or just a single room in Atlanta.

With that kind of budget, in addition to taking mattee01's advice and looking for a roommate, you might also want to consider renting a room on a monthly basis as a "nice" rental in Atlanta usually starts at about $900-1000 a month at the absolute dirt cheapest.

Another approach is to start out renting a room or someplace really economical and make lots of friends with the local chapter of the alumni association of your alma mater and see if you can find any roommates going that route.

You can also look for potential roommates as well as rooms on websites like Roommates.com, ajc.com (the online rental ad section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta's main daily newspaper) and the rental classifieds section of Atlanta's main alternative newspaper, Creative Loafing Atlanta.

A link to the Atlanta section of Roommates.com-
Roommates, Roommateservice, roommate search - Roommates.com | Atlanta, GA | Page 1

The apartment/rental section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution-
Apartments / Homes for Rent | www.ajc.com

The rental classifieds section of Creative Loafing Atlanta-
atlanta - rentals classifieds - creativeloafing.com

By no means are these sites the end-all be-all for rental search, but they are a good place to start your search.

Good luck with your search. I hope that you find what you are looking for and I hope that you find success in Atlanta.

Great ideas! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You can find that price range in Smyrna and the 30329 area
Any suggestions that you know of?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,397 times
I second Smyrna. You'll have some decent options in your price range, good proximity to Midtown and Buckhead, and there are actually things to do without leaving town.

1021 Church Street Southeast #1, Smyrna GA - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta