Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 03:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaark View Post
When we moved here from NY, Canton felt too far out.We chose Alpharetta and chose our subdivision for it's diversity. From our house we can be in Atlanta in 30 minutes. I also like our area because when you go to North Point Mall and area restaurants we see more of a melting pot like we were used to in NY. We are moving to FL to be closer to elderly parents and our house is for sale. If interested please contact me for pics/info.
Question: What are the benefits of diversity?

Old 11-17-2007, 06:54 PM

212 posts, read 547,144 times
One of the benefits is that we all live on the planet. It's more interesting living and knowing people of all races. Diversity crushes stereotypes and educates. Living near each other we might see we are more alike than different. We can learn from each other, and maybe in the big picture we might not go to war.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Blacks will be a minority for a long time, Mexicans will definately surpass them in the next 20 years....
Are you talking about Atlanta specifically or the U.S.? There have been newer articles with updated figures, but as of 2003 Hispanics outnumbered blacks in the U.S. as a whole.

An earlier U.S. Today article: USATODAY.com - 39 million make Hispanics largest U.S. minority group

Atlanta does not represent averages though. Some parts of Atlanta are nearly 100% black. Others 100% white, while others are nearly 100% Hispanic (specifically Mexican here), etc.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaark View Post
One of the benefits is that we all live on the planet. It's more interesting living and knowing people of all races. Diversity crushes stereotypes and educates. Living near each other we might see we are more alike than different. We can learn from each other, and maybe in the big picture we might not go to war.
I agree that it educates, in that it shows individuals why less diversity is best. That's the lesson I obtained.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:39 AM

64 posts, read 233,577 times
Default There's got to be a smart a__ in every crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
As soon as you get back from Birkenstock shopping in/on Utopia, drop us a line. We'll be here.

Sincerely,

The United States of America
DaddyO,

I think that you are part of the problem. Not part of the solution.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 102,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlendorf View Post
DaddyO,

I think that you are part of the problem. Not part of the solution.

Until things change, I guess you're correct.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM

144 posts, read 399,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I'll try to address all of your points later, but for the mean time, take a look at the below-linked study. If what you say is correct, then this study below is contradictory to much of what you say. I believe it is contradictory because your opinions are based on a lot of Marxist-social philosophy, not real data or the real world, that is characteristic of many universities schools of anthropology and sociology.

People in Diverse areas less trusting of others
People in ethnically diverse area ‘less trusting of others’ - Times Online

Differences complicate the lives of people who are only used to and comfortable with their own points of view, religion, and looks. I wouldn't even begin argue that, because it is so obviously apparent in every corner of our world. To say that social narcissim is desirable though, I'm not sure how one could conclude that. In addition, one study from one sample population in one country doesn't hold a bucket of water.

This study was not conducted on children, who have yet to be socialized towards self-absorbtion by the adult population. This study was conducted on adults, who have already been socialzed towards maintaining the status quo(often towards the political gain of those at the very top). The only thing the study "proves", if anything at all, is that people are being "socialized" to only be comfortable with themselves and that in the face of differences, they lack adequate conflict resolution skills. This is undeniable, but like I said, children(whom we all start out as) discriminate ONLY on the basis of what they are most familiar with. White infants raised by black adopted parents are most comfortable with people whom they perceive to look like their adopted parents. In isolation, people are only familiar with those whom they perceive to be most like their parents or themeselves. In a few generations, transracial adoptions will move this reality further away from an issue of "one's own race".

Immersing adults who have already been socialized towards social narcissim into a "multicultural" society, will indeed create growing pains. Possibly, severe growing pains over the course of generations. There are people who have argued that women's rights should revert back to the days when women were simply required to be mere sex slaves to their husbands, barefoot, pregnant, at home, and without political or social power. "Studies" have shown that when women were in this position, they had "more time" to raise their children, and their husbands were often happier. But what of the women? Well studies can hardly determine how happy women were in these situations because women were often not important enough to study.

So while the women's movement has surely created growing pains in society, for which not everyone has benefited immediately, I don't think MOST men or women today would argue that the integration of women into society should be a thing of the past. We need to find a balance. In this regard, humanity must evolve, to meet the needs of men and women in society and socialize young children towards accepting that people have the right(within the same society) to pursue their own goals and desires, irrespective of their gender.

Even still, most parents today purchase blue toys that concern violence and "action" for their boys, and pink toys that concern nurturing and family for their girls. This is happening less and less often, but people still do it in this country with high frequency, prehaps perpetuating "gender wars" in some segments of society. A balance could be(and has been in some cultures and societies) acheived without "feminizing" boys or "masculinizing" girls, but many parents lack the SKILL with which to accomplish this at the time. That's not to say, "abandon the whole thing".

Likewise, "multiculturalism" encounters much the same issue. Go into your child's bedroom. How many black, Indian, or Chinese dolls did or does your little girl have? If none, then you are socializing her to only accept those whom YOU see to reflect her(even if those white dolls look NOTHING like her-which is a whole different problem. See Barbie.)

You may be doing this intentionally, or not, but the bottom line is, if she's only got a rack of white dolls with two inch waist and blonde hair, you are perpetuating your own adult socialization which is deeply ingrained in you from days that most(I hear some folks want another war and more pregnant women) of us would like to leave behind. If you want history to be history(and for example, blacks to stop talking about slavery) then both whites and blacks must evolve away from those things inherent during those times: isolationism, narcissim, ignorance, sexism, and violence for self-gain and profit.

I don't know your age, but seemingly multiculturalism has not worked out too easily for you. The women's rights movement didn't work out well for a lot of men. There are still lots of kinks in that system, and often times men get treated unfairly in a quest to treat women better. We are only a century into the women's rights movement(about a generation), not very long at all. Multiculturalism is even younger. Those of us alive today may not be immediate benefactors of this process in the most ideal sense, but we do benefit if we choose to.

I have had quite a few "negative" encounters with people who identify themselves as "white"(as I'm sure you have as well), but some of my nearest and dearest friends are white as well. Some of my favorite family members are European and Carribean. My husband's parents are from two different countries. My children could be split up and divided around the world. My parents were actually born in Southern Europe(and of course, culturally raised European), but I am American. I mean, if someone built the equivalent of what amounts to a "Berlin Wall" in the United States today, seperating the cultures. Who do you think would benefit? How many of us would be seperated from our best friends, favorite co-workers, most beloved cousins or uncles? I mean, you can name everything wrong with multiculturalism or the women's rights movement, put a label on it and call it Marxist, but you are talking about the lives of of real human beings. I have greatly benefited from the diversity of my world(because I have chosen to). I have an up close and personal understanding, to the best of my ability, of so many different cultures and races. It has allowed me to make peace with the few idiots that I have encountered in my life who may be members of a certain "group"(a group of no-brainers). Multiculturalism has personally fueled by desire to learn about HIS-story from her perspective, or from the perspective of those who didn't "write the books".

Being so close to so many people from all around the world hasn't made me feel more hostile, it has made me feel like a resident of this planet. I can't always reconcile my way of life with that of others(including my children, my parents, etc.), but I truly work hard to understand other people. For my children, I hope it will be even easier to do this(to befriend and understand those whom society still believes are so different.) I feel sorry for those who can't see outside of themselves, for indeed, this inability likely affects the most personal aspects of their lives(in dealing with their children, friends, parents, etc.). Again, the issue of only being comfortable with those whom you perceive to be like you, is not one of "racism", "sexism", or any other other -ism, save narcissim.

There was a time when some of us didn't even have the right to life. Now that virtually all of us do, let's use our human brains to figure out how to communicate with empathy, understanding, and compassion: something social narcissism and isolationtionism could never begin to faciliate. The "education" of being able to live amongst others in peace is likely the only lasting "education" that human beings need for survival. I gather that if just this concept could be grasped, issues of one culture or people( or group of people within a culture) hoarding the majority of the world's(or culture's) resources causing starvation, death, and disease around the planet would cease.

Last edited by otoatlanta; 11-18-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Are you talking about Atlanta specifically or the U.S.? There have been newer articles with updated figures, but as of 2003 Hispanics outnumbered blacks in the U.S. as a whole.

An earlier U.S. Today article: USATODAY.com - 39 million make Hispanics largest U.S. minority group

Atlanta does not represent averages though. Some parts of Atlanta are nearly 100% black. Others 100% white, while others are nearly 100% Hispanic (specifically Mexican here), etc.
I was saying in general, guess there are more than I thought..... I know by looking at greatschools.net how much my area has changed and the numbers.......

We have the NAACP and CAIR, what's the big Hispanic organization????

Old 11-18-2007, 02:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I was saying in general, guess there are more than I thought..... I know by looking at greatschools.net how much my area has changed and the numbers.......

We have the NAACP and CAIR, what's the big Hispanic organization????
MALDEF and La Raza are two of the major organizations.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM

12 posts, read 35,714 times
Hmmm... I'm guessing the reason more African Americans haven't moved to Canton is because it simply doesn't appeal to them. I mean for one thing it is sooo far! My clients (majority caucasian by the way) from Canton tell me it takes them about 30 minutes just to get to me in Kennesaw! Anyway, I doubt it's racism, I'm referring to the poster who mentioned waiving around confederate flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta