Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times

Advertisements

UGA came in 8th in Playboy's "party school" ranking. They were ranked 6th last year. UGA dropped out of the bigger "party school" top 10 earlier this year. The university went from 1st to 2nd to 5th to 6th to 11th. Academic improvement at Georgia's flagship is seen in many manifestations apart from student scholarship, selectivity, economic development, research and more

This comes at a time when UGA is set out on their 1 billion dollar capital campaign to seriously bolster their endowment to compete with top tier public schools in the nation. UGA was ranked 20th best public university in the nation earlier this year.

These "party school rankings" are derived by surveying a tiny fraction of students(300 or so on a 30k campus) and is denounced by the American Medical Association, the NCAA, all universities, plenty of students and alumni and tons of advocacy groups. Still, uneducated people take them seriously.

SAT/GPA/graduation rate/freshmen retatio nrate, student outcomes, graduate enrollment, faculty outcomes, endowment, rankings and reputation continues to rise for UGA. At University of Georgia, the flagship university, people work hard and play hard.

Class of 2013 posted the most selective class in UGA history:
Advice about the UGA Admission Process: A First Look at 2013 Admitted Freshmen Credentials

UGA destroys academic "peers" in the SEC and the national average:
Southeastern Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a very holistic academic comparison of all colleges and universities in Georgia:
List of colleges and universities in Georgia (U.S. state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UGA drops out of top 10 party schools:
UGA drops out of top 10 party schools | Online Athens

UGA lower on Playboy party school lists:
UGA ranked in 'Playboy's party schools list - WFSB 3 Connecticut

The top "10" was as follows:
  1. West Virginia University
  2. University of Wisconsin
  3. University of Colorado
  4. University of Southern California
  5. Florida State University
  6. University of Texas
  7. Louisiana State University
  8. University of Georgia
  9. Arizona State University
  10. University of Maryland

Go Dawgs! Beat LSU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
And nothing says scientific methodology and journalism like Playboy.

And why start a new thread?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:50 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times
For someone who goes to GSU you sure do love UGA......

Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM

I'm an advocate of right information. People in Georgia are very ignorant about their flagship. I'm just bringing relevant information to everyone's attention. I post about Tech, Emory, UGA, GSU, HBCUs and random topics.

Mathman, science would say all these party school rankings are BS. I'm not arguing with you anymore. I still say the same thing to you as I did months ago - provide numbers and sources for your claims. You have none.

Just saying.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Woof!!!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm an advocate of right information. People in Georgia are very ignorant about their flagship. I'm just bringing relevant information to everyone's attention. I post about Tech, Emory, UGA, GSU, HBCUs and random topics.
The level of cheerleading just seems odd. There must be some label for this type of psychological behavior. Denigrating your own school and lauding the competition.

Quote:
Mathman, science would say all these party school rankings are BS. I'm not arguing with you anymore. I still say the same thing to you as I did months ago - provide numbers and sources for your claims. You have none.

Just saying.
Just name what you want justified. GT has significantly higher SATs, endowment, research expenditures, annual giving,... than Cow College

Old 09-26-2013, 06:04 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Just name what you want justified. GT has significantly higher SATs, endowment, research expenditures, annual giving,... than Cow College
Cow College? Proud of your state higher learning institutions?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cow College? Proud of your state higher learning institutions?
Not Cow College. You're not from around here are you?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Honestly who even cares about this other than people on the net to have something to banter about? From looking at the academics I sure don't see any parents saying well, we aren't sending our kids to FSU, UMD, or USC because they party too much.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Honestly who even cares about this other than people on the net to have something to banter about? From looking at the academics I sure don't see any parents saying well, we aren't sending our kids to FSU, UMD, or USC because they party too much.
You would be surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta