Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM

30 posts, read 147,794 times

Advertisements

Would like some input on what it would be like to live in Dahlonega or the Hoschton area, maybe living at the Village at Deaton Creek, as a single woman, coming from the Boston area. I have been to Atlanta a few times and enjoy the "culture" but would not live near Atlanta with that traffic gridlock. Also, does anyone know about the employment situation as you move away from Atlanta? I love the countryside, in particular, the wine country but wonder about life in general there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM

281 posts, read 1,055,413 times
If you can stand the road rage pickup drivers pretending to be in NASCAR on Highway 400 in the morning comute. They come down from Dawson County and Lumpkin acting like they are charging for battle. School zones are better in Cumming, better scores.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,264,816 times
I'd say the key to living anywhere in or near Atlanta is your work location. Try your best to live within 10 miles of work.

Atlanta has a bad rep for traffic and it's well deserved. But, both times I've lived withing 10 miles of work I had nice short commutes. The first time was living in Lawrenceville and working on the outskirts of Duluth - 20 minutes tops on the road. Now I live in the city <4 miles from work and my commute is 13 minutes if I drive and an hour if I walk!

When I lived in Lawrenceville and worked in the city my commute was 36 miles and took almost an hour and a half each way. That's why I moved to the city.

Most of the bad traffic in Atlanta isn't on the surface streets but on the interstate and main roads....

Dahlonega is a really cool place but it's a good hour's drive from the outskirts of Atlanta city proper. Once you hit the metro area traffic becomes a parking lot.

So, find out where you work and then draw a ten mile circle around it! Make a list of what kind of things you need and want (seperate them because needs are more important) and that should help.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
So, find out where you work and then draw a ten mile circle around it! Make a list of what kind of things you need and want (seperate them because needs are more important) and that should help.
Too funny. That's precisely what we did 2.5 years ago when we were figuring out where we wanted to live.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,264,816 times
That's how my husband and I found out about Candler Park! He works at Emory, me at CDC - virtually the same location - so we did that.

Candler Park probably wasn't the cheapest - the area a bit north of Emory would have been better for that - but we just fell in love with the place. And the commute was better from there then from the northern 10 miles. We had plenty of time to explore while waiting for our Lawrenceville house to sell (took 7 months!!!).

Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 14,698 times
Hi,

I wondered if you had made a decision about Deaton Creek. We will be retiring in a couple of years and have to zero in on an area. We have a son in Sandy Springs, but are thinking of an active adult commuity. We enjoy the the city life, but realize there is something to be said for the activities and support of a small community when you are older. Going too far out of Atlanta might not be right for us. Your thoughts?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,383,523 times
Deaton Creek 55+Georgia

Are there any residents of Deaton Creek Del Webb who will comment on life there? We are thinking about it as a retirement destination and have visited there a couple of times, but we wonder what life there is really like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta