Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM

39 posts, read 59,912 times

Advertisements

I plan to relocate from the East Coast to Atlanta by 2015. I'm trying to determine where I should reside. I've lived mostly in urban areas so I'd love to live in a close-in suburb. I am a recent college graduate, looking to teach special education. I will be applying to the Atlanta teaching fellows program very soon. Based on the information provided on the website, the fellowship program pays 34-35K per year, so this will definitely be enough for me to live on my own.

The rental rates in NYC are astronomical so clearly I can't afford to stay here on a NYC teaching fellows salary, which is the same amount paid to Atlanta Teaching fellows.

Ok, given my expected salary, which neighborhoods should I target? Some people will say, wait until you land the job and choose a location close to the school, but I have 8K in savings and I plan to use it until I'm able to secure the Atlanta Teaching Fellowship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
The better areas are in North Atlanta. You might try the area around North Springs MARTA station as there are a lot of apartments there and MARTA rail can get you into downtown or the airport very easily.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Do you have a car? That's an important issue with Atlanta -- we lack the same kind of transportation system that NYC has, and very, very few of the Atlanta schools are within easy walking distance to MARTA, so MathmanMathman's suggestion of Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Perimeter only makes sense if you have your own transportation. The chances of the school you will be at being near a MARTA station is probably pretty slim (especially if you are counting on it!)

Without knowing your budget, it's hard to suggest places. How much money have you set aside for rent? That will help us make suggestions. There's a huge difference between $800-900 a month and $1200 a month in terms of location, safety, distance, etc. I could estimate, given your proposed salary, but without knowing your other obligations (student loans, etc.), it'd be easier if you'd just give us a round number. :-)

Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM

39 posts, read 59,912 times
I don't have a car or a license at this time, but I'm getting ready to take my road test in March. After I get my license, I will get a car.

My budget for rent will be $1000-$1100.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,954 times
Based on your budget, there are a lot of places you could live- Vinings, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, or even in the city- Buckhead, Midtown, etc. Midtown and Buckhead will be more city oriented, with a younger crowd. Brookhaven and Dunwoody are the hot places to be if you want to be a little removed from living in the city, but still very close. Vinings is similar but a little farther out.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM

100 posts, read 119,191 times
Perimeter - Sandy Springs, Dunwoody area! I lived in College Park my first year and it was ok. 15mins from downtown but very suburby. I've lived in Sandy Springs for the past few years and I love it. Lots of young professionals. Also regular families.
Parking isn't a pain in butt like downtown. 15-20 mins from Downtown. Has more of a city vibe especially. There's lots of nightlife in the Perimeter area also Coffee Shops, Bars, Sports Bars tons of restaurants, a few nightclubs (if your about that life) I'm very content here. I'm sure I could be content in other parts but I like the vibe here.
I'm also a native New Yorker From Long Island. We sound around the same age range, feel free to message me with questions.
That's a good budget! I don't want to say where I live exactly but my rent is in the mid 700's and I have a really nice large apartment where I feel secure.
My first apartment sucked but my rent was in the $500's so you get what you pay for!
MARTA is accessible but I don't use it. I work in Alpharetta and it doesn't come up this far. I have used it on occasion to go to events downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta