Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM

37 posts, read 233,212 times

Advertisements

hi ,we are looking to relocate to Atlanta.
I know there are lot of New Yorkers in Atlanta, so what do you miss and don't ?Is there good restaurants outside of the city?Are you happy or regret it? thank you.

Last edited by mae12; 01-10-2008 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM

109 posts, read 329,363 times
Where in NY? I regret it.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 15,597 times
Oh no, really? We are from Westchester and considering a move to Atlanta as well. What do you regret?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
We moved to Atlanta from central NJ this summer, and don't regret it one bit. Can you get good pizza and bagels here? Not easily. Are people more into religion and college football here? Some of the folks who have been here a while are. Do we have the level of activities that NYC has? Nope, but we also don't have "starter homes" costing $400k in a decent area, or taxes that run over $10k/year.

If pizza, bagels and Broadway are things you can't live without, you'll have a tough time here. If you like the "in your face, hustle and bustle" attitude of NYC, you won't find it here. What you will find are great people (many from NJ, NYC, etc), extremely affordable housing, great weather, and traffic. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM

37 posts, read 233,212 times
We live in Astoria,queens.Close to the city .There are shops and restaurants in every block.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
Depends why you're looking to move. If you're looking to move for better weather, cheaper taxes, new homes for a fraction of the cost of a dumpy home in Westchester, cost of living and an overall easier life, you won't regret it. If you're looking to match Westchester's quaint walkable villages, easy access to an incredibly rich and cultural city, stellar public schools, delicious food that can be delivered at any time of day and great public transportation, then yes, you will regret it.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
mae12, you need to look well within the city limits if you want some satisfaction. Check out Cabbagetown, Little 5 Points, Kirkwood, etc. East Atlanta...

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
The mistake that a lot of people make is when they move from an urban area in the North to a suburban area down here. You'll hear complaints about traffic, religion, people, long distance to amenities, etc. If you are younger (under 40) and have no kids, the Atlanta suburbs may not be your cup of tea as they are very family oriented and aren't configured in a traditional neighborhood development pattern.

As plessthanpointohfive suggested, you should move into the city and get a feel for what it has to offer. It's also easier to meet people when you live in the city as a younger adult.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Even if you have a family those areas are a good place to live. We moved there BECAUSE we had a family. Living in the burbs meant our house was just a place to sleep at night. Now we get home at a reasonable time after work and have time to spend with each other. We can also walk to amenities, such as a park and several restuarants. It's also easier to be atheist in the city. No one cares. A lot of people do go to church in my neighborhood but it's a personal thing. Not the thing they orient their entire social life around.

The trade off, though, is the price of your home. You can expect to pay >300K for something small.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default my thoughts exactly.

Just a thought; I don't understand people who love city life for all it offers then as soon as the kids come they think they'll be better off is the sterile boring nothing to do cookie cutter 'burbs. I'm from NJ, the 6th borough part, not the burbs, and I loved ATL We should have never left. We're moving back but into the city. For us Toco Hills is attractive because it has institutions that meet specific needs. I'm not sure it's for everyone tho. Some of the other neighborhoods mentioned might suit better.
In the South religion IS important but the "church" is the cultural/social center of the community. It has more to do with who your people are than what you believe. So when they ask which one you go to, yes it could be an opening to evangelization but more than likely it is to find out who you are and where you come from. I mean no one is rude enough to ask "You one of them damn yankees?" LOL
I LOVE the people of ATLANTA in general. It has always felt like home and I'm a NY,NY Italian Jew Come with an open heart and you'll be accepted as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
mae12, you need to look well within the city limits if you want some satisfaction. Check out Cabbagetown, Little 5 Points, Kirkwood, etc. East Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta