Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
It'd be mostly sidewalk, since it's mostly walking alongside the mall, then walking through a part of the parking lot meant for people coming from conventions, which have a LOT of people crossing the pedestrian bridge. Even if for no particular reason, you routed people around the edge of the mall loop, and built a sidewalk there, it makes the route shorter (0.8mi according to Google maps). So I'm not sure where 2mi come from.

I've seen hordes of people walking along Pulliman St and Central Ave to cross the highway. That'd be intimidating to me as well with the way people fly through there to get on the highway.

Perhaps if people don't want to walk 3/4 of a mile, there's demand for paid parking.

If so, then maybe we'll get a 2nd transfer station in Cumberland out of it. The county is already talking about putting a police precinct and fire precinct in the mixed-use development.

With all the buses not in use, I figure this is the day they'll most likely be able to run a lot of buses for an event like this.

For this Sandy Springs to Cumberland Power's Ferry to Interstate North loop, they'd need shared stops.
How can you expect fans to transfer buses when they already complain about a foul-proof plan of transferring at Five Points, walking thru UA, and boarding the only set of buses at the Steve Polk Plaza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How can you expect fans to transfer buses when they already complain about a foul-proof plan of transferring at Five Points, walking thru UA, and boarding the only set of buses at the Steve Polk Plaza?
It's probably less about the walk. Five Points is scary for hard-core suburbanites, unless they happen to work near there.

From a suburbanite perspective, the Underground has gone downhill and looks like a third-world country.

That's not my perspective. I can just tell you how typical people in East Cobb, Cherokee County and Roswell think and what they say.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
It's probably less about the walk. Five Points is scary for hard-core suburbanites, unless they happen to work near there.

From a suburbanite perspective, the Underground has gone downhill and looks like a third-world country.

That's not my perspective. I can just tell you how typical people in East Cobb, Cherokee County and Roswell think and what they say.
Because its not manicured and fake? Well it is a fake mall, but its also over 100 years old. Are they really that scared of lower income minorities?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM

559 posts, read 832,962 times
Quote:
Are they really that scared of lower income minorities?
Scared? No, of course not.

But, you've got to remember this is entertainment. It's a choice, not a necessity. And there are LOTS of competing choices for a family on a Sat night in metro ATL that might seem more fun, easier, safer, closer to home, etc.

Nobody in their right mind is scared of other people. They just find other entertainment they like better.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,441 times
Quote:

A 3rd World Country though?

SMH........

Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Because its not manicured and fake? Well it is a fake mall, but its also over 100 years old. Are they really that scared of lower income minorities?

Yeah...pretty much. Scared enough that they would concoct this absurd plan in order to avoid those "3rd world people at Five Points".

Am I the only one who thinks this entire plan is LUDICROUS?

A Pedestrian bridge over 285? That's hilarious.

Having to park 2-3 miles away then catch a shuttle to the ballpark? Even more hilarious.

Walking past a suburban mall and typical suburban chain stores on the sidewalk of a busy @ss 12 lane thoroughfare to get to the ballpark? The hell are they thinking?

This entire plan is a joke. And if I hear one more person say that all of this is for the game day experience I'm going to vomit. Parking 3 blocks from Lake Michigan and walking down Irving Park Rd to Wrigley Field in Chicago is a true baseball game day experience. This pipe dream of an idea isn't even close to being in the same league as that, and worse I think that after the new-ness wears off on Cobb's shiny new toy that people will be complaining even more, and rightfully so.

I can not wait till this new stadium opens and I hope Cobb residents are ready for the gigantic serving of Crow us ITP'ers are cooking up for them right now. Its on a slow simmer, should be ready around '17 or '18.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
A Pedestrian bridge over 285? That's hilarious.
Careful. That was my idea WAY before the Braves were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Before it was ditched, Cumberland was working on the master plan, and had too much focus on their "core" area, Southwest of the interchange. So, I complained and said to the Chamber and board through email that you need to plan for connectivity throughout Cobb and probably should have a pedestrian bridge across 285 to Circle 75 because it's too far to walk from Galleria to Cobb to Circle 75, and it's intimidating walking along Cobb Pkwy.

So, by the time the Braves came around, it was something they were already thinking about.

So, now that you are speaking to the person who came up with the idea, tell me why MY IDEA is hilarious...

What's so funny about connectivity and walk-ability efforts?

Quote:
Having to park 2-3 miles away then catch a shuttle to the ballpark? Even more hilarious.
Take the bus, see below.

Quote:
Walking past a suburban mall and typical suburban chain stores on the sidewalk of a busy @ss 12 lane thoroughfare to get to the ballpark? The hell are they thinking?
Do you realize there's a pedestrian bridge from the mall to the galleria? So, how is 3/4 mile through relatively quiet essentially two-lane semi-private roads in nice weather and a covered pedestrian bridge such a serious issue for you?

Last edited by netdragon; 07-01-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Careful. That was my idea WAY before the Braves were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Before it was ditched, Cumberland was working on the master plan, and had too much focus on their "core" area, Southwest of the interchange. So, I complained and said to the Chamber and board through email that you need to plan for connectivity throughout Cobb and probably should have a pedestrian bridge across 285 to Circle 75 because it's too far to walk from Galleria to Cobb to Circle 75, and it's intimidating walking along Cobb Pkwy.

So, by the time the Braves came around, it was something they were already thinking about.

So, now that you are speaking to the person who came up with the idea, tell me why MY IDEA is hilarious...
How is walking over busy @ss 285 at peak traffic times inhaling all those fumes and looking down awkwardly at people stuck in traffic looking back at you a part of the game day experience?

How is walking past Casual Male XL, Waffle House and random office buildings all the while on the sidewalk of a frickin 12 lane street to get to the ball park apart of the game day experience?

It's a joke because this whole move was supposed to make the game day experience better, but none of these moves help with that. If anything it made them worse. Anyone who has been to a MLB game in damn near any other major league city will laugh at this so called game day experience. It is beyond a joke at this point. I just hope Cobb County residents and us Metro Atlanta residents as a whole are ready for the roasting we are going to get on a national level when this joke of an idea opens up

Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
How is walking past Casual Male XL, Waffle House and random office buildings all the while on the sidewalk of a frickin 12 lane street to get to the ball park apart of the game day experience?
Because you won't be walking by either or walking on a 12 lane street's sidewalk?

You really need to learn the area better. Go out and walk it, and use the pedestrian bridge, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Btw, before you use any excuse to erroneously throw in a Waffle House that you're not going to walk by to try to bolster your inaccurate statements just to bash the suburbs, let me just remind you that there are SEVEN waffle houses in Atlanta, three in close walking distance of the GA Dome. And FIVE - yes, that's right - FIVE Wal-Marts in Atlanta. There are NONE in Cumberland and Smyrna. A big fat zilch. Oh, they tried, but Smyrna kept Wal-Mart out. Atlanta couldn't do it. How is driving by Wal-Mart on I-75 part of the Falcons game-day experience?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Take the bus, see below.

Do you realize there's a pedestrian bridge from the mall to the galleria? So, how is 3/4 mile through relatively quiet essentially two-lane semi-private roads in nice weather and a covered pedestrian bridge such a serious issue for you?

CCT is a joke. It stops running at 11 pm, doesn't even run on Sundays and they only have like 16 or 17 routes for a county of damn near a million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta