Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:27 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Pretty sure no one asked you to be a fan..... Of a school you know zero about other than what he media spoon feeds the masses. Not an attack just saying. At the end of the day certain schools maybe able to help you possibly get an opportunity for advancement however, if you yourself have not done the work and aren't bringing anything to the table well then that prestigious title won't do you much good will it?

Hey you read my mind

Because it's a predominantly black school. Funny thing is I doubt we would be having this conversation if it were about Agnes , Emory etc.....

I'm not even going to touch on the entire Ivies gets you a foot in the door business. Might be hard *gasp* for some to believe but there are many who previously, presently and will attend an HBCU or non Ivy that we're accept into the Ivies and choose not to go and not for financial reasons. Shocking I know.
Attending for non-financial reasons is perfectly fine. Not everyone has to maximize financial returns (those who are already very comfortable, or have other pursuits in life and are willing to live more modest lives). That said, Morehouse in particular doesn't do well (even among HBCUs) in terms of providing an economic footing for those that do have to borrow in order to attend.

Ivies are famous for their generous financial aid. Most of it's need based and many have free tuition for families making under 100k. My brother and I graduated in the early/mid '00s w/ only 35k of debt between us back when tuition was already 30k+/yr. If Morehouse can make a better economic argument than that, by all means go for it but 74% of students need loans to go so it's not exactly handing out free rides.

Student Loan default rates ('09 data but newer is available but less comparo friendly but still similar):
Student Loan Default Rates by School

If you do a comparo for the '09 year, Howard's default rate is only 1/4 of that of Morehouse (7.2% vs 27.4%). I'd venture more students from Morehouse are on the verge of bankruptcy than running the F500 companies. Spelman is also about half that of Morehouse so I'd say there's definitely a challenge Morehouse has in terms of financing for its students. Worst Ivy I found was Columbia at about 3%.

End of the day it's selection bias. Schools have a huge incentive to show the successes while hiding the failures. The same goes for blowing 200k at Emory Law. They highlight the 10-20% of students that get 170k/yr jobs in Biglaw while quietly downplaying more work for small firms that make far less than half of that. They also hire up grads (almost 16% of the class) as clerks to keep them off the unemployment rolls and tagging even those working as baristas as working in "industry".

Morehouse has a good brand no doubt but they either have to make it more affordable for those who can get in or figure out how to help the 1/4 of those who take out loans but wind up defaulting on them. Economic success is obviously only one metric but a trail of grads/former students that end up w/a lifetime of financial ruin isn't going to help them along. I wouldn't recommend Morehouse any more than I would recommend Emory Law to someone. If you want an HBCU experience but don't necessarily need an all-male experience, I'd say go Howard. If anything, Morehouse needs to crib some notes from Spelman on how to keep its grads out of default.

Other Sources:
Morehouse College - SAT Scores, Costs & Admissions Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM

185 posts, read 318,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I have also known many people over the years who were accepted to Ivy League schools, but chose to attend an HBCU instead. But the large majority did it because the HBCU was offering a full ride and the Ivy was not... On a different thread long ago I mentioned a student from South Dekalb that was accepted to Princeton, but chose to attend Spelman for this reason.
100% agree with this as I myself did this for grad school. Common sense tells you to only apply to schools that are good and tops in your chosen field of study and then go to the one that offers you the most, especially if you came out of undergrad or HS with a stellar gpa.

However I am still referring to the non monetary reasons. They aren't as few and far between as people may think. Not to mention over all, only a small subset of people don the halls or matriculated from an Ivy school. Thus leaving the majority of college grads with degrees from said non Ivy schools like the one mention here.

And Mishap I agree with your last post. I think your overall argument is an issue at many schools, especially the for profit. I have a ls who is over $90k in debt and trust me our undergraduate, state school back when was on the more affordable side. She stepped on Argosy's campus and forget about it. And she is NOT in a field that offers a high pay scale. It's ridiculous !

Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
equinox63

I think that a great many top students now stay in GA at public Us because of HOPE. And many of them have parents that are middle class or higher (actually studies have shown this) who likely could afford private or out of state alternatives especially those enrolling at UGA or Tech.

I know many kids who get partial money at out of state or private colleges and still choose to stay in state, because it is cheaper.

In the changing/evolving job market, I think getting out of college with the least debt possible is critical.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
Morehouse is definitely worth it, especially if you plan on staying in Ga. after graduation. Morehouse has highly successful alumn's all over the country.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Morehouse is definitely worth it, especially if you plan on staying in Ga. after graduation. Morehouse has highly successful alumn's all over the country.

It also has a lot of people that can't pay their student loans (to the point it lags other HBCUs). Anecdotes shouldn't be how you make college decisions. I provided a quantifiable metric that someone can look at and make an informed decision regarding career odds post-graduation. Do some research before you sign up for a Mercedes worth of tuition. If there's a major or professor there that will change your world, then take the calculated risk. Otherwise, evaluate other schools that can get you to a degree w/o as much debt.

Given enough people, you can find examples of successful people from almost any group. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates dropped out of college so dropping out is the best way to become a billionaire? Just do your research and don't fall for the, Morehouse makes leaders pitch more than any other shiny college brochure especially if your family can't pay for school.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 PM

82 posts, read 81,976 times
I thought the same thing about Howard when I first decided to go there.

Tuition was like 21K and the dorm I was in was like 5k for the year.

I have a scholarship but my friends who aren't on one only really paid like 27-28K their first year (including a meal plan). Now of course, the school predicted that it would cost like 41K to attend, but once you get down to the nitty gritty it's not nearly as much as you think. Is it a lot? HELL YES. But for most people it's actually 10-12k less than the school predicts.

Now if you want to get into the cost of living in DC period (metro, food, clothes, etc) as well as books...then you may find yourself paying around that amount (not sure if its the same in ATL)

Old 07-04-2014, 05:08 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
We told our kids that if they wanted to stay in state we would set aside the same money for them that we would have been spending on tuition. That's really not a bad trade-off if you have good state universities.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:13 PM

185 posts, read 318,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
equinox63

I think that a great many top students now stay in GA at public Us because of HOPE. And many of them have parents that are middle class or higher (actually studies have shown this) who likely could afford private or out of state alternatives especially those enrolling at UGA or Tech.

I know many kids who get partial money at out of state or private colleges and still choose to stay in state, because it is cheaper.

In the changing/evolving job market, I think getting out of college with the least debt possible is critical.
Now granted, its been 8 years since I was graduated from undergrad but if HOPE is currently anything like it was then well...... lets just say I hope they are covering all of your book expenses now! However I suppose it is nice to have tuition covered as long as you keep your grades. And yes I had HOPE when I was in undergrad but to be frank... I feel like with the amount of people that play the lottery, HOPE should be a full ride scholarship...books, tuition, meal plan and room & board. Heck they could even perhaps ass tiers to it. Have it where it currently is for all student who make a 3.0 3.4. And for those who have 3.5 and above throw in those extras I mentioned. I know the lottery money goes toward pre-k programs and other areas but like I said, I still feel it could cover more expenses especially for lower middle class and low income families .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
It also has a lot of people that can't pay their student loans (to the point it lags other HBCUs). Anecdotes shouldn't be how you make college decisions. I provided a quantifiable metric that someone can look at and make an informed decision regarding career odds post-graduation. Do some research before you sign up for a Mercedes worth of tuition. If there's a major or professor there that will change your world, then take the calculated risk. Otherwise, evaluate other schools that can get you to a degree w/o as much debt.

Given enough people, you can find examples of successful people from almost any group. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates dropped out of college so dropping out is the best way to become a billionaire? Just do your research and don't fall for the, Morehouse makes leaders pitch more than any other shiny college brochure especially if your family can't pay for school.
Dude we get it. No one denied your metrics. However at this point you really seem to be harping on it and playing the anti Morehouse role as if you have some personal vendetta against the school . You made your point, you don't like The House and even went so far as to dig up quantifiable evidence to back up your claim...brava.... move along lol Its not that deep.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Now granted, its been 8 years since I was graduated from undergrad but if HOPE is currently anything like it was then well...... lets just say I hope they are covering all of your book expenses now! However I suppose it is nice to have tuition covered as long as you keep your grades. And yes I had HOPE when I was in undergrad but to be frank... I feel like with the amount of people that play the lottery, HOPE should be a full ride scholarship...books, tuition, meal plan and room & board. Heck they could even perhaps ass tiers to it. Have it where it currently is for all student who make a 3.0 3.4. And for those who have 3.5 and above throw in those extras I mentioned. I know the lottery money goes toward pre-k programs and other areas but like I said, I still feel it could cover more expenses especially for lower middle class and low income families .

Dude we get it. No one denied your metrics. However at this point you really seem to be harping on it and playing the anti Morehouse role as if you have some personal vendetta against the school . You made your point, you don't like The House and even went so far as to dig up quantifiable evidence to back up your claim...brava.... move along lol Its not that deep.
I was thinking the samething. Lol I just left it alone.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
...Bottom line, an education at a private institution is extremely expensive. I just finished paying off my time at the House last year (15 years after the fact) even though I attended during the 90s when it cost half as much to go there...
I have a friend who went to Morehouse during roughly the same time period. Well, even though I don't want to date myself, it was a bit earlier than that. His tuition was was between $7K and$8K for the year. I remember because it cost slightly more than my school. That did not include room and board. What I do recall is that the dorms were overcrowded so they set some students up at a hotel that provided a shuttle service to campus. I assume it was at the same price as regular r&b, but he definitely liked living in the city as opposed to on campus.

At any rate, back then going to some private schools cost about the same as going to a state school out of state. That's why some students went independent after graduating from hs - to claim residency in whatever state they chose to attend school and avoid the out of state fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
...I know a smart young man that has been accepted to GSU, UGA, and Morehouse. He's thinking about becoming an engineer, but likes science more than math. He chose Morehouse. And after looking at the figures he's shown me and the scholarship money that he has received, I find it hard to believe that he has made the right choice. He could have easily gotten the Hope Scholarship, but I believe it is only valid for state schools...
I did not grow up in Georgia, but if I had and was unable to get a scholarship by any other means, I'd have been more than happy to use the HOPE scholarship. I find myself agreeing with you about the young man going into debt when he has other options that will likely yield the same results. If he is bent on going into debt, he could at least until grad school lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaComment View Post
...Many people who graduated from college ten or twenty or thirty years ago have little concept of how bad it has gotten.
It is like a sticker shock when you have not bought a car in a while. I can't believe it's common for it to cost this much for school. If I had children, I'm not sure I could afford them. I'd feel an obligation to put them through college, but these prices are more than I was expecting to hear. It's seriously like 4+ times as much in what I consider a relatively short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta