Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I suggested it earlier in the thread. To me many of the Buckhead neighborhoods would seem like an ideal option. Great schools, high quality of life and 15 minutes or so to Midtown.
I missed that — yeah, Buckhead seems like the first and most obvious choice given the requirements OP mentioned; the other locations may be viable too but Buckhead fits the bill: close to work, good schools, single-family homes in the budget, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
I suggested it earlier in the thread. To me many of the Buckhead neighborhoods would seem like an ideal option. Great schools, high quality of life and 15 minutes or so to Midtown.
This is true. Buckhead has a bit more of a suburban feel and meets all the OP's requirements.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM

122 posts, read 186,538 times
Look at 30062 and 30068, Walton and Pope clusters. Great schools, and your price range fits right in. The commute won't be 30min, probably 45min, but I bet a lot of people in these areas do it to have the great public schools, and great neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM

91 posts, read 152,298 times
not all areas of buckhead have great schools though, right? Don't the schools get more dicey around middle and high as well?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 AM

445 posts, read 516,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
not all areas of buckhead have great schools though, right? Don't the schools get more dicey around middle and high as well?
I can't tell anyone what to do, but it does disturb/amuse me when people make expensive purchases like a $600K-$700K house based entirely on a 1-10 score from a website. Maybe that's not the case here, but I see it often on the boards here and have heard of it in real life. The schools in Buckhead (and schools like Grady and Wheeler) generally have some very wealthy students and some pretty not-so-wealthy students. The overall test scores reflect this, and the corresponding GreatSchools scores are not the highest. But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of students at these schools that do phenomenally well. The average test scores don't really tell you much, because these aren't average schools due to their demographic makeup. And the SAT scores for white children at Wheeler and North Atlanta are higher than those for white children at Walton. The scores for white kids at Grady are just a little bit lower than those at Walton. http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-bl...ce-Medium1.png The whole school doesn't have to be performing at a high level for one child (or even that child's entire demographic group) to be performing well. I just don't want someone to think that they have to move far north and have a long commute for their kids (who, truth be told, would do well probably anywhere) to have a good school experience. If I had that kind of money--and I don't at all, so take it for what it's worth--I would look for a neighborhood I wanted to live in and balance that with the school reputation in finding a place to live. I wouldn't move to Peachtree City or East Cobb if I could afford Candler Park or Inman Park just because the high schools there have 3 more GreatSchools points. That seems to be a shallow analysis for such an important decision.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
No, they really don't. We've had kids at both Inman and Sutton and they had wonderful experiences. Likewise at Grady.

We haven't had anybody at the new North Atlanta yet but the reports coming in are strong.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM

12 posts, read 20,857 times
600-700k will not get a new house in Buckhead. If you want a new house and good schools, there are more options OTP. That takes nothing away from Grady or North Atlanta, Inman Park, etc

Old 07-31-2014, 09:56 AM

109 posts, read 151,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
Look at 30062 and 30068, Walton and Pope clusters. Great schools, and your price range fits right in. The commute won't be 30min, probably 45min, but I bet a lot of people in these areas do it to have the great public schools, and great neighborhood.
Thank you.

Is the 45 minute commute applicable even at 7:00 am?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari2013 View Post
600-700k will not get a new house in Buckhead. If you want a new house and good schools, there are more options OTP. That takes nothing away from Grady or North Atlanta, Inman Park, etc
Dumb question but why is a new house considered better than a renovated older house? I've seen both and a lot of renovations have quality, convenience and features that are easily the equivalent of the stuff they are building now.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 AM

445 posts, read 516,745 times
Quote:
Dumb question but why is a new house considered better than a renovated older house? I've seen both and a lot of renovations have quality, convenience and features that are easily the equivalent of the stuff they are building now.
The heart (and the OP) wants what it wants, and some people just prefer new. Some people just like the "new house" smell, and others might like the decreased chance that major repairs will be necessary. Personally, I think that since all houses are going to be old someday, it's better to go with a house that will seem dated in a classy way rather than in a 1980s-1990s way. Of course, 1990s houses might come back into fashion someday as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta