Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So what you are saying is that there is a possibility it may not be atlanta streertcars fault?
I'm not sure. Probably a combination of the two.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened and ready by Spring 2014.". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened and running by Summer 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened by Fall 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened by November 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "Well have it opened by Mid-December". I do.

Now Reed is saying he pledges it will be opened by the 31st. I'm so embarrassed for this city. This is already a win for the anti-transit folks. I'm willing to bet 6 months after opening, the numbers will be another win for them, if it ever opens.

It was a chance for Atlanta to finally show everyone that they're ready to begin expanding their transit. They just failed. Failed. They really can't open a tiny 2 mile streetcar line on time? Really? Okay, I can expect a delay or two...fine! We're almost the next year they promised. And I know the Atlanta boosters will give excuses for the city, but that's not going to be the thing that gets more streetcars on the streets of Atlanta.

Embarrassing. Congrats to the post-driving/anti-transit crowd. A big win for you. Atlanta NEVER does anything right. It's become a joke.

Right up there with a ferris wheel....nice touch.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Right up there with a ferris wheel....nice touch.
SkyView is a private venture, cost the city nothing.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened and ready by Spring 2014.". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened and running by Summer 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened by Fall 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "We'll have it opened by November 2014". I do.

Anyone remember, "Well have it opened by Mid-December". I do.

Now Reed is saying he pledges it will be opened by the 31st. I'm so embarrassed for this city. This is already a win for the anti-transit folks. I'm willing to bet 6 months after opening, the numbers will be another win for them, if it ever opens.

It was a chance for Atlanta to finally show everyone that they're ready to begin expanding their transit. They just failed. Failed. They really can't open a tiny 2 mile streetcar line on time? Really? Okay, I can expect a delay or two...fine! We're almost the next year they promised. And I know the Atlanta boosters will give excuses for the city, but that's not going to be the thing that gets more streetcars on the streets of Atlanta.

Embarrassing. Congrats to the post-driving/anti-transit crowd. A big win for you. Atlanta NEVER does anything right. It's become a joke.
Something here has become a joke, and it ain't Atlanta.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM

209 posts, read 276,270 times
People tend to forget about delays pretty quickly, unless the delays are on the epic scale, such as Boston's Big Dig, and the streetcar's delay is not in the same stratosphere as that.

A lot of things in Atlanta that are now up and running had delayed openings. People forget. Maybe you'll remember, but most people will forget about the delay when this thing is finally up and running.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:09 PM

410 posts, read 432,516 times
First Slice 12/19/14: Atlanta streetcar to start rolling sometime before 2057 | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta streetcar will run before Dec.31 there saying again

Old 12-19-2014, 03:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What would you have done with that money?
Haven't really thought about it, but I have a few off the cuff suggestions. Given the federal gov is essentially bankrupted and the national debt has been doubled by the present administration...maybe nothing. Maybe just don't add more to the debt.

As for the local funding, you mean to tell me that there's no more pressing local need in the City of Atlanta than a 1.3 mile streetcar on which to spend tens of millions of dollars? I have to believe that with all the crime and other needs, surely there's a higher priority somewhere?

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Haven't really thought about it, but I have a few off the cuff suggestions. Given the federal gov is essentially bankrupted and the national debt has been doubled by the present administration...maybe nothing. Maybe just don't add more to the debt.

As for the local funding, you mean to tell me that there's no more pressing local need in the City of Atlanta than a 1.3 mile streetcar on which to spend tens of millions of dollars? I have to believe that with all the crime and other needs, surely there's a higher priority somewhere?
But this valuable streetcar will move about 120 people per hour!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That argument, while valid, is way above and beyond the scope of this discussion.

Quote:
Considering that this is the first phase of a much larger network, I don't find this project a waste of money.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:30 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
If I'd been in charge I would have had these things rolling sooner but in the big picture it's not that big a deal. No one will remember 10 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta