Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The map I saw in Gwinnett had it going very near Buford Highway and (I think) taking a Beaver Ruin alignment somewhere bringing it to the Indian Trail Park & Ride lot. My memory is fuzzy on the details.

As long as it is kept near the interstate and not always ON it. Stops should be where TODs can sprout up easily. I would also want to have a stop in downtown Norcross to encourage smart growth from a real town centre.
The reason the vote didn't pass last time is because of the 50/50 split on roads/transit. Also Marta wasn't in as good of shape as it is now. If they voted today for at least 80% of the revenue to go to rail with a map showing the stations near the interstates it would pass by 70%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
It would pass easily in both counties if most of the $$$ went to rail and they had a rail map of the stops available prior to the vote
You are absolutely right. That is why the T-SPLOST didn't pass. People did not see an organized vision for improving transportation in Atlanta and they were basically asked to trust that the government would spend it wisely.

In order to get people in Metro Atlanta to agree to funding transit, they need to see exactly how it will effect them. When they see the lines running across the metro, it will click in their head, "Hey, I can benefit from this!". Never will (or should) a request for tax dollars for transportation be approved directly by Metro Atlanta voters as a whole without a plan in place.

A plan that should be presented to the public almost as if it is a contract. You vote for this and fund it, this is what you get. Without it, you are asking the public to trust a politician to make good on their word. yeah...

Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The map I saw in Gwinnett had it going very near Buford Highway and (I think) taking a Beaver Ruin alignment somewhere bringing it to the Indian Trail Park & Ride lot. My memory is fuzzy on the details.

As long as it is kept near the interstate and not always ON it. Stops should be where TODs can sprout up easily. I would also want to have a stop in downtown Norcross to encourage smart growth from a real town centre.
That is correct. The 1990 referendum had stops at Jimmy Carter, Indian Trail/I-85, and Gwinnett Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The reason the vote didn't pass last time is because of the 50/50 split on roads/transit. Also Marta wasn't in as good of shape as it is now. If they voted today for at least 80% of the revenue to go to rail with a map showing the stations near the interstates it would pass by 70%
The referendum we're talking about wasn't the 2012 TSPLOST.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Maybe this is an indication that if the state isn't going to fund MARTA, at the very least they're going to get the **** out of the way and let us help ourselves do what we need/want to do going forward.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Wait. This isn't some elaborate April Fools joke is it?
Hah, I was worried about that too.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
I think the increase to 1.5% would easily pass in Fulton and Dekalb. Do you guys think Clayton would be on board as well, with them just now getting into the game?

Maybe if Marta could show how much quicker they will receive RAIL, they would agree?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
I think the increase to 1.5% would easily pass in Fulton and Dekalb. Do you guys think Clayton would be on board as well, with them just now getting into the game?

Maybe if Marta could show how much quicker they will receive RAIL, they would agree?
Too early for Clayton imo

Old 04-01-2015, 02:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Gwinnett maybe, Cobb- hell no.
I dunno. A lot of us in Cobb want public transportation. The last T-SPLOST didn't seem to make much sense to a lot of people, but the right presentation could go a long way...

Old 04-01-2015, 02:15 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
If they decide the to do an increase it should be project specific and time limited. For example, 0.5% increase for 30 years gets you 400, I-20, and CC extensions. After which it goes back down to 1%.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post

I don't think it would easily pass anywhere.

Neither Fulton nor Dekalb majority voted for TSPLOST even though it fully paid for CC and at least started the 400 extension.

It might pass but it would be a tough sell and would need the benefits much more clearly communicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta