Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They Beltline is supposed to connect to the Clifton corridor at the Lindbergh MARTA station.
Yeah, that's what I thought, though I think that's just for cross-platform connections. There was talk at one point of having an Armor-Yard Station yeah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought, though I think that's just for cross-platform connections. There was talk at one point of having an Armor-Yard Station yeah?
There was talk of a MARTA station at Armour yard.

The Betline's preferred transit alternative comes into Lindbergh but I don't know the details of it is supposed to hook up.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I would love to have a comprehensive State commuter rail system, and yes, the Perimeter makes for a rather obvious boundary of service for MARTA. The thing is, though, that where these MARTA 'Super Arms' are being planned, are actually rather gaping holes in the GDOT Commuter Rail plan.

This true for at least the Connect 400 and I-20 East extensions. I-20 East actually stops where it intersects the commuter-rail line at Lithonia/Turner Hill Rd. There are no commuter-rail options running up GA 400's way. So, in a way, MARTA IS filling in the Inner city gaps, though more like the core county gaps, as the ends are really by county as opposed to city. Map

Furthermore, the route along 400 and I-20 were chosen for HRT because of their density, traffic volume, and ability to support such transit. While one would think that the city should be more dense, in a lot of cases, it isn't. Not yet.

See the line of bright/dark red spots going up into North Fulton? That's GA 400. The dark red along the south part of Dekalb follows I-20. Then Compare that to east Atlanta and you'll see the difference. This is why the Beltline/Streetcar System is important. It reaches out into areas of the city, away from MARTA, that need is in dire need of permanent transit options, but don't quite have the density to justify HRT.

Finally, while Commuter Rail makes the most sense to stretch out of the city and into the less-dense suburbs (and I still think that's exactly what's happening), GDOT and the State don't seem to give to right craps about it. The closest they've put in are the GRTA buses, which have been rather successful as far as ridership goes. We're many, many years before any commuter rail is even close to the stage of planning as the MARTA expansions, but we need transit options now, so MARTA's what we got.

I Totally Agree, seems like Marta is the only ones that really care about real Transit/Rail in the Region/State so i guess you have a MAJOR POINT... If Marta does end up running it, i hope they go with a Light Rail to Commuter Rail option where possible, I think more citizens will go along with that.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM

209 posts, read 276,469 times
The bill is on the house floor.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
https://twitter.com/jmshapiro/status/583718488700772353

All I can say about the Georgia House of Representatives is ████ ██████ ███████████ █ ███ █████!

Please note the way your representative voted and contact them accordingly.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:20 PM

This confuses me because I thought the extra half-penny was a compromise to get Senate Dems to sign HB170.

Also, apparently it was both Dems and Reps who took away the amendment. According to Bluestein, there's a "technical flaw".

It's not over. The bill goes back to the Senate.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
This confuses me because I thought the extra half-penny was a compromise to get Senate Dems to sign HB170.

Also, apparently it was both Dems and Reps who took away the amendment. According to Bluestein, there's a "technical flaw".

It's not over. The bill goes back to the Senate.
That's so stupid! Why wouldn't you allow the people to choose if they themselves wanted to be taxed more!? It's just so... frustrating. So close yet so far from a working solution!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM

The amendment is now on the Senate floor.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Passed, 50 to 3. Whoa. What in the world happened in the Senate between Tuesday and Thursday to just take away the whole amendment?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:16 PM

The extra half-penny bait and switch really spoils the excitement of the 50/50 split being removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta