Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:51 AM

149 posts, read 155,099 times

Advertisements

I suppose I'm not entirely used to the concept of sprawl haha. Everywhere I've lived has had geographic limitations on building. Seems like it's perfect for us. We are planning an extended stay down there either over xmas break, or beginning of june next year to confirm our want to go (if the move doesn't happen by then). The only things that seem daunting still are the summer heat, and the smog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,317,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadinpgh View Post
I suppose I'm not entirely used to the concept of sprawl haha. Everywhere I've lived has had geographic limitations on building. Seems like it's perfect for us. We are planning an extended stay down there either over xmas break, or beginning of june next year to confirm our want to go (if the move doesn't happen by then). The only things that seem daunting still are the summer heat, and the smog.
The smog situation is much better than it was, say, 15 years ago. The Federal government cracked down and threatened to pull all Federal transportation dollars if the state didn't get the smog levels below a certain threshold. That was enough to scare the politicians in charge into doing something about it, primarily in the form of manadatory annual emissions testing. There are certainly still orange alert days when it's suggested that people with respiratory problems stay inside, but they're relatively infrequent.

The summer heat is a more subjective thing, of course. My wife and I both grew up in Florida and both despise intense heat and humidity, but we manage pretty well here. It takes some adjustment, of course, but the good thing is that the really unpleasant period is relatively brief - late June to the first week of September - and, unlike Florida, once the sun is down, the evenings are pretty tolerable. Last night was a good example: after several straight really hot days, we found ourselves on our deck at 8 PM and spent over an hour there. At one point we were actually a bit chilly because there was a breeze with the ~70F temperature.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:32 AM

I suppose it would not be too bad compared to PGH. It does get rather muggy here, but it stays that way. The evenings are just as bad as the days. 85 degrees and 95% humidity at 2 am seems common in july and august. Is there typically a breeze in the greater ATL area during the day? Basically, it is a place where people coop up during the summer and turn into hermits? People here only seem to go outside during the fall.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:51 AM

371 posts, read 457,242 times
Some days we have a breeze, some days we don't. We have great tree cover though so there's always some shade nearby... perks of being the "city in a Forest". I'd say people, for the most part, are still out and about in the summer time. You get used to the heat and learn how to prepare. Like carrying water, wearing light layers, spending entire weekends at the pool, etc. The athletic folks typically have to do their running indoors or in the evening, though.
And of course take special care to make sure the little ones stay cool/hydrated!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Outdoor activities are VERY popular here in the summer. Wear lots of sunscreen and seek the shade if you hate the heat, as I do - and fortunately, there's plenty of shade to be had.

We spent most of last weekend outside, even though we hate the heat. Friday night, free jazz concert on Marietta Square; Saturday morning, a walk to the Saturday Farmer's Market followed by brunch on our deck until about 12:30, when the sun started to get too intense, but afternoon back on the deck under the umbrella; Saturday night, another free concert, this one a symphony, again on the Square. Sunday, another long, long brunch on the deck, and then the skies opened up in the afternoon.

Incidentally, you might look at the area around Downtown Marietta, as it might provide what you're looking for. Lots of shops and restaurants, a very walkable area, many festivals, art shows and concerts, and one of the biggest Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) Farmer's Markets in the entire region (around 60 vendors a week with maybe 5000 patrons or more). While Cobb County itself is not a bastion of liberalism, the Square itself is quite diverse and this pretty blue resident is very comfortable there. There's quite an international contingent, too: in addition to the regular American style places, there's a great Asian-Latin fusion place, a Colombian restaurant, an Australian place, an excellent Thai restaurant, a really good new Persian place, a French crêperie (run by French folks), one of the best French bakeries in the metro area (run by other French folks), a pâtisserie and breakfast place run by a French-trained Korean family, a very good Vietnamese-Chinese restaurant... the list is quite long, actually. My neighborhood is quite mixed, both ethnically and economically, and everyone mixes together pretty well.

Real estate here is pretty reasonable, with good options near the Square starting in the low $200s, and new construction starting in the low $300s (though climbing pretty rapidly). You'd also have your choice of school districts in which to teach; much of Cobb's system is very highly regarded, and I think the Marietta City Schools are also pretty well thought of. Many of North Fulton's and City of Atlanta's better schools would be within a fairly easy drive as well. My wife actually teaches at one and has a pretty easy commute, especially by ATL standards.

Note that, like many areas in the metro area, places that have a Marietta street address may not actually be within the city limits, but might instead be a 20 minute drive or more away. For instance, East Cobb, which also has a Marietta address, is also very nice, but is quite suburban, and doesn't share that much with the city itself other than the name.

Let me know if this piques your curiosity and I'd be happy to provide further info.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM

That definitely seems to be along the lines of what we are looking for. The main reasons we haven't considered Marietta, or areas too far out, is mostly because we are unaware of the differences between north and south conservatism. While norther conservatives (not all, please excuse this generalization) have tended to come off as more socially conservative than anything, it seems those in the south are less so. Have your political opinions, I won't ask, and I really don't care, but social liberalism is what we are interested. Being mixed race, being tattooed, being rather alternative, will we still be able to make a good deal of friends in these burbs? That's what's really important to us. Of course we will get looks wherever we go, and we've always understood that. But will we feel completely cast out in these conservative suburbs such a Marietta? We love being social people, but sometimes in some places people just don't want to get to know each other, that's what I want to avoid. We look forward to multi family gatherings, neighborhood or block parties or things of the like, being friends with the parents of our kids' friends, things of the like. We're just longing for a community feel. Seems like everywhere that has been listed so far should off that. Things to do are always a plus ..... but even in the most "boring" town, we can either travel or be creative

Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM

371 posts, read 457,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadinpgh View Post
That definitely seems to be along the lines of what we are looking for. The main reasons we haven't considered Marietta, or areas too far out, is mostly because we are unaware of the differences between north and south conservatism. While norther conservatives (not all, please excuse this generalization) have tended to come off as more socially conservative than anything, it seems those in the south are less so. Have your political opinions, I won't ask, and I really don't care, but social liberalism is what we are interested. Being mixed race, being tattooed, being rather alternative, will we still be able to make a good deal of friends in these burbs? That's what's really important to us. Of course we will get looks wherever we go, and we've always understood that. But will we feel completely cast out in these conservative suburbs such a Marietta? We love being social people, but sometimes in some places people just don't want to get to know each other, that's what I want to avoid. We look forward to multi family gatherings, neighborhood or block parties or things of the like, being friends with the parents of our kids' friends, things of the like. We're just longing for a community feel. Seems like everywhere that has been listed so far should off that. Things to do are always a plus ..... but even in the most "boring" town, we can either travel or be creative
Marietta as a whole is not conservative. The folks in charge (local govt) are, but the residents are pretty mixed (majority white but with very visible diversity and plenty of blue folks dotted within the red). "Being mixed race, being tattooed, being rather alternative" you won't stand out very much, especially in places like the square where everyone from different walks of life comes to congregate. In fact, a tattooed alternative guy with a man bun might very well be your server at one of the restaurants on the square-- I'm talking about you, Australian Bakery!! You know who you are! (sorry, I get a kick out of man buns My own man even rocks a messy bun from time to time.. but not the super neat man buns)

Now, East Cobb might not exactly be the place for you..

Also, downtown Marietta really isn't very far out from Atlanta. Like I mentioned before, our metro is MASSIVE. There are towns way farther out that are still considered suburbs of Atl.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Marietta as a whole is not conservative. The folks in charge (local govt) are, but the residents are pretty mixed (majority white but with very visible diversity and plenty of blue folks dotted within the red). "Being mixed race, being tattooed, being rather alternative" you won't stand out very much, especially in places like the square where everyone from different walks of life comes to congregate. In fact, a tattooed alternative guy with a man bun might very well be your server at one of the restaurants on the square-- I'm talking about you, Australian Bakery!! You know who you are! (sorry, I get a kick out of man buns My own man even rocks a messy bun from time to time.. but not the super neat man buns)

Also, downtown Marietta really isn't very far out from Atlanta. Like I mentioned before, our metro is MASSIVE. There are towns way farther out that are still considered suburbs of Atl.
Completely agree with this. Downtown Marietta is actually pretty progressive and certainly somewhat alternative. There are at least 3 or 4 tattoo parlors and while that's not my thing at all, it does not bother me or most others, so far as I can tell.

Politically, I don't see much partisan style politics or social conservatism or liberalism in the city politics. They are mostly focused on just running the city as effectively as they can.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,116,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post

This is a good post, OP! I've mentioned on another thread that my sister and her wife live near the Marietta Square and they are very happy there

Regarding the bolded, I agree that East Cobb doesn't sound like the best fit for the OP, but I must give my obligatory response that East Cobb in real life is not as it is presented on this forum. I agree that politically it leans conservative, but in much more of a "northern fiscal conservative" sort of way. IMO, it is quite similar to North Fulton. (Not saying you said anything untrue, OuiOui. Just if the OP is basing impressions of Cobb off this forum, he would get a very skewed perspective)

Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 AM

It seems like, on a map Marietta is rather large (for a small city) and has a similar "perimeter" set up (Route 120?) as Atlanta. I'm guessing the square is within this perimeter? How close to the square are we suggesting would be a good fit? How far away should I avoid and just how far East is the more conservative East Cobb? Thanks again everyone for all the help!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta