Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadinpgh View Post
It seems like, on a map Marietta is rather large (for a small city) and has a similar "perimeter" set up (Route 120?) as Atlanta. I'm guessing the square is within this perimeter? How close to the square are we suggesting would be a good fit? How far away should I avoid and just how far East is the more conservative East Cobb? Thanks again everyone for all the help!!!!
Good questions! Yes, the Square is within the 120 Loop, just inside the western edge of it, where Roswell and Atlanta Streets meet. For walkable, interesting and, at least to an extent, affordable areas around the Square, I'd focus on the following:

• South to the 120 Loop (South Marietta Pkwy), or maybe just outside it
  • East to just beyond Fairground St
  • North to Kennestone Hospital
  • West to, maybe, Kirkpatrick (interesting tidbit: the last Democratic governor of the State of Georgia, Roy Barnes, lives on Whitlock Ave west of the Square and has his law office just southeast of the Square)
South and East of the Square is where most of the revitalization is happening, and is where you're most likely to find a good deal or new construction. West and North of the Square tend to be older, more established areas, some with large, historic homes, but there are also some nice bungalows to be found there at reasonable prices also.

East Cobb doesn't really start in earnest until the area around the intersection of Roswell Rd. and Barnes Mill Rd.

Let me know if you have further questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
Y'all sound like a good fir for East Point too. Definitely not cookie cutter subdivisions - plenty of real organic neighborhoods - some call it the hood, and it is majority African-American, but there is both economic and cultural diversity here. Strong LGBT community, many with families, we do have a lot of teachers and professors living here too - public and private. There is a strong Asian community in nearby Forest Park, and a large Asian Grocery store in Riverdale - as well as the State Farmers Market, and several close-by neighborhood Farmers market. We are between the city of Atlanta and Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (not on a flight paths, on the 75/85 side of things (where the oldest neighborhoods are). Great cost of living (since everyone thinks it's the hood, there is a lot of value to be found here for the smart buyer, considering it is still intown). And we are on the MARTA line - so easy commutes to anyplace else served by MARTA.

Easy Access to lots of South Fulton parks and nature preserves - and if you pick the right house on the right lot - you can have a pretty nature preserve feel to your house as well.

I know you are 2 years out - but I just ran across an insider tip this morning on a fantastic Mid-Century Modern 3/2 sitting on an almost 2-acre lot for 145K. The listing isn't on the web yet but it really is a beautiful house. The reason I bring it up here is because it's next door to the people who gave me the tip - an LGBT family with a teacher at the local high school, and they are looking for more kids on their street. (mostly retirees at this point)

Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 PM

149 posts, read 155,006 times
On the off chance anyone is still reading, just had Sweetwater for the first time. Best beer ever! Too nad its $40 a case here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta