Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Are you kidding me? How much wear and tear does a bike cause to a road compare to an SUV?
I don't think this should happen, because income would be low while cost of enforcement will be high and current bike use is still too low. However, if we had the type of culture that exists in Amsterdam or Northern Germany in some parts of town, taxing the huge amounts of cyclists would be a way to pay for the extreme amount of cycling infrastructure those areas would need.

But I fail to see why the idea gets such a rash reaction. We are building dedicated lanes for cyclists. Those parts of the roadways will still capital costs to built and maintenance. Why is it a far-fetch for someone to suggest some kind of user or proxy user tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I don't think this should happen, because income would be low while cost of enforcement will be high and current bike use is still too low. However, if we had the type of culture that exists in Amsterdam or Northern Germany in some parts of town, taxing the huge amounts of cyclists would be a way to pay for the extreme amount of cycling infrastructure those areas would need.

But I fail to see why the idea gets such a rash reaction. We are building dedicated lanes for cyclists. Those parts of the roadways will still capital costs to built and maintenance. Why is it a far-fetch for someone to suggest some kind of user or proxy user tax?
If built as part of a road repaving/reconstruction, the added cost of bicycle facilities is almost negligible.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If built as part of a road repaving/reconstruction, the added cost of bicycle facilities is almost negligible.
That's not really true though.

significant right of way costs, significant square footage of pavement, significant amount of road markings and signage.

Whenever it is repaved in the future that square footage of asphalt laid still costs money at the same rate for square footage in the regular auto lanes.

All of these conversion projects have had a price tag associated with them. When they do the planning studies and ask for funds for bicycles projects in things like the TSPLOST or the 2040 ARC plans, there is a real cost.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Exactly, this is why almost all road projects or re-stripping in CoA reduces lane widths and adds in bike lanes for little cost. Not many roads intown have the ROW for separated bike paths, this is where bike lanes and removing a lane for cycle tracks come into play. The only way to add separated bike paths intown is to remove a lane of vehicle traffic, like they do in Europe.
The Peachtree Center Ave Cycle Track cost $300K.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? How much wear and tear does a bike cause to a road compare to an SUV?
Not kidding at all. It's a user fee, just like motorists pay. Why should cyclists get to use the infrastructure for free?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Not kidding at all. It's a user fee, just like motorists pay. Why should cyclists get to use the infrastructure for free?
Their impact on the street is minimum if any more than pedestrian impact. You going to charge peds too? Cyclists are simply using the the existing infrastructure, when bike lanes or sharrows are added. Cycle tracks cost a little bit more, but not as much as adding vehicle lanes to a road. We don't need separate bike paths everywhere, they are more costly and require property acquisition.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Their impact on the street is minimum if any more than pedestrian impact. You going to charge peds too? Cyclists are simply using the the existing infrastructure, when bike lanes or sharrows are added. Cycle tracks cost a little bit more, but not as much as adding vehicle lanes to a road. We don't need separate bike paths everywhere, they are more costly and require property acquisition.
Motorcycles and mopeds do little to impact the streets, but they have tags.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Motorcycles and mopeds do little to impact the streets, but they have tags.
Motorcycles yes, but weigh a lot more and are capable of freeway speeds. Mopeds do not need tags.
Georgia Other Types of Motorcycles - GA Scooter & Moped Info | DMV.org Do a Google search or something before commenting.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Motorcycles yes, but weigh a lot more and are capable of freeway speeds. Mopeds do not need tags.
Georgia Other Types of Motorcycles - GA Scooter & Moped Info | DMV.org Do a Google search or something before commenting.
Why Google it when someone here tells the answer! Thanks for letting me know! I still believe cyclists should pay a user fee.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Why Google it when someone here tells the answer! Thanks for letting me know! I still believe cyclists should pay a user fee.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree with this more. Bicyclists should be rewarded, not punished, for using a means of transportation that is much easier on the road than much heavier vehicles are.

The system should accommodate ALL modes of transportation. Not just single drivers in their 16-MPG SUVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta