Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Also, look at places that have two teams, the Bay Area has a whole bay separating two teams. They won't add to Atlanta just because of population and the fact some fans feel scorned.
LOL, a whole bay! You know it's basically the same distance from AT&T Park in SF to O.co Coliseum in Oakland, as it is from Turner Field to the future SunTrust Park, right?

Nobody's suggesting that Atlanta would get a second team because of anyone's feels, they're speculating that there might be enough people, and demand for baseball, to warrant it. We'll only know for sure after we see if the Braves can get any less-terrible after their move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
LOL, a whole bay! You know it's basically the same distance from AT&T Park in SF to O.co Coliseum in Oakland, as it is from Turner Field to the future SunTrust Park, right?

Nobody's suggesting that Atlanta would get a second team because of anyone's feels, they're speculating that there might be enough people, and demand for baseball, to warrant it. We'll only know for sure after we see if the Braves can get any less-terrible after their move.
It's not the distance, it's the fact the bay divides the whole area. You gonna drive from San Mateo to San Fran or to Oakland-Alameda? You gonna drive from Heyward to Oakland or to San Fran? Atlanta doesn't have a great geographical divide. The bay is narrow up near San Fran but certainly not to the south. And there's loads of people between Turner Field and future Suntrust. No one's commuting from the center of the bay. The geography and population of the Bay Area leads itself to a dichotomy in population concentration. Atlanta doesn't have a situation like that. Here's a map of population density in the Bay Area. You think that's a place that can support one central team? Or is better off with 2?

And from jsvh "Not to mention they already have a built-in rivalry with the Braves that will attract them many fans (like me) that still like baseball but will no longer be supporting the Braves."
Literally suggesting feelings will cause a sudden interest in a second team. Anyway, Atlanta does not have the population or support for a 2nd team. It can barely support the ones it has unless they're winning the division or conference. Considering MLB hasn't added a 2nd team to a metro area in half a century, I'm not holding my breath on Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:45 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times
Uhh, I think the biggest difference is the significantly larger population, and the existence of a second major city in the metro area. If Cobb becomes what Cobb thinks it will become, we might just have both of those some day.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Uhh, I think the biggest difference is the significantly larger population, and the existence of a second major city in the metro area. If Cobb becomes what Cobb thinks it will become, we might just have both of those some day.
Again, even if the demand warranted a second Atlanta team (and it won't) the Braves would kill it due to MLB territorial rights.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Yeah, I am fine with just a minor league team that people in the city can get to. Loved the Savannah Sand Gnat games I have been too. Something like that that is somewhere along the Beltline / LRT route with affordable tickets and beer would be a big winner.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,038 times
It's not the presence of the Bay. I've lived there. It is the rivalry between ppl in Oakland versus people in San Francisco. It's like living in two different cities - pun intended. They treat it like that too. It is like CHICAGO CUBS versus CHICAGO WHITE SOX fans. Either you're a white sox fan or a cubs fan and never the two shall mix. This from a Chicagoan. The rivalry will never go away and I will never set foot in Wrigley Field. Ever. I don't even like going to Wrigleyville. LOL. Comiskey Park (yes, Comiskey, not that madness of the new name) is where it's at.

Quote:
It's not the distance, it's the fact the bay divides the whole area. You gonna drive from San Mateo to San Fran or to Oakland-Alameda? You gonna drive from Heyward to Oakland or to San Fran? Atlanta doesn't have a great geographical divide. The bay is narrow up near San Fran but certainly not to the south. And there's loads of people between Turner Field and future Suntrust. No one's commuting from the center of the bay. The geography and population of the Bay Area leads itself to a dichotomy in population concentration. Atlanta doesn't have a situation like that. Here's a map of population density in the Bay Area. You think that's a place that can support one central team? Or is better off with 2?

And from jsvh "Not to mention they already have a built-in rivalry with the Braves that will attract them many fans (like me) that still like baseball but will no longer be supporting the Braves."
Literally suggesting feelings will cause a sudden interest in a second team. Anyway, Atlanta does not have the population or support for a 2nd team. It can barely support the ones it has unless they're winning the division or conference. Considering MLB hasn't added a 2nd team to a metro area in half a century, I'm not holding my breath on Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Cobb itself will just be a large county like Gwinnett. If there's gonna be any large edge city, it would be Sandy Springs/Perimeter Center. Dallas-Ft Worth is much more fitting. A lot of people on the Ft Worth side can't stand being compared to Dallas or being looked at as a suburb. They insist it's its own city and indeed it does have the bones of one. There's definitely a downtown and the whole nine yards, something that's lacking in Atlanta (as far as there being a 2nd city). And DFW has a large metro population anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
It's not the presence of the Bay. I've lived there. It is the rivalry between ppl in Oakland versus people in San Francisco. It's like living in two different cities - pun intended. They treat it like that too. It is like CHICAGO CUBS versus CHICAGO WHITE SOX fans. Either you're a white sox fan or a cubs fan and never the two shall mix. This from a Chicagoan. The rivalry will never go away and I will never set foot in Wrigley Field. Ever. I don't even like going to Wrigleyville. LOL. Comiskey Park (yes, Comiskey, not that madness of the new name) is where it's at.
I figured there were cultural reasons as well but I didn't have any evidence or knowledge on that.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 19,042 times
The Braves will never get another dollar out of me.

Cobb county can have them

Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That will never happen.
Quote:
Metro Atlanta isn't getting a 2nd team in any sport before DFW or Houston. And it will have nothing to do with intown location or demand to see something in the city. Atlanta can barely support one team. It's not large enough to support 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Seriously, no...this will never happen for several reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta will never get a 2nd MLB team.
Agreed. This idea of having one MLB in Smyrna and another in the CoA might be fun to speculate about, but in reality it is never going to happen. Whether they're in Summerhill or Cumberland, the Braves are metro Atlanta's one and only MLB team. As the owners of the only MLB team in the entire Southeast except for the state of Florida, Liberty Media will absolutely never give up that many media rights to a new team barely 10 miles away.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
The endless threads denigrating the Braves because of their move are getting tiresome. Revenue is down because the team sucks this year. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta