Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,806,999 times

Advertisements

You mean liberal cities like Minneapolis,Seattle,San Francisco,Portland?And why is Atlanta sucking up all the tax dollars when it brings in the most revenue and jobs?I can agree if you say extremism is ruining the country but it seems you are more on one side than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,837,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I'm from the Northeast, and I've thought about the effect that an increased amount of Northerners could have on the balance between republicans/democrats in the state, since Georgia has been historically a red state. What do you think, will Georgia possibly elect a democrat this year? The inner metro ATL is blue on the election maps. With the growth of metro ATL projected for the next 30 years, do you think that the rest of Georgia will be overcome and dominated by Atlanta voters?

It's kind of spooky when you look at this map and compare 2000 to 2004 and see that pretty much the same counties are red and blue throughout the country: USATODAY.com
Most of the "blue" is the result of a high percentage of blacks within the core counties of Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton. While there is an area of leftist whites in the city of Atlanta and Dekalb County, it is rather small compared to the number of conservatives in most of the metro.

If metro Atlanta gets "blueer", it's only the result of more minorities moving to the metro, not necessarily "northerners". I hear this quite a bit, but there aren't many liberal northerners moving to Atlanta. Most of the northerners moving here are conservative in nature. Furthermore, the highest percentages of northerners are in north Fulton, East Cobb, and Gwinnett west of I-85. Oh, and Peachtree City, too. The rest of Cobb and Gwinnett, as well as the rest of the metro, doesn't have a very high "northern" percentage.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yeah, ITP is going to turn more red in 20 years! LOL!

Are you kidding me? There's no way in hell. If anything, as ITP becomes more dense and urbanized, it will become more blue. People in dense urban areas understand diversity
Detroit understands it, and they don't have your viewpoint.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Today, DeKalb, Fulton, and Clayton are majority Democrat (also, the most fiscally bankrupt counties)
All of those have have high black percentages. Fulton at around 45%, Dekalb at around 60%, and Clayton at about 80%.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:12 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
The black community has blindly followed the Democrats for 40 years, since the Kennedy/Johnson era, when it was the Democrats who pushed through civil rights legislation like the voting rights act. The problem is that many in the black community don't take the time to think through the effects many failed liberal policies have had. Many of those policies have hurt that community instead of helping it. It's also interesting that many blacks (especially southern blacks) say they don't agree with the social policies of the moveon.org types but continue to vote for them in near monolithic numbers.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Quote:
If metro Atlanta gets "blueer", it's only the result of more minorities moving to the metro, not necessarily "northerners". I hear this quite a bit, but there aren't many liberal northerners moving to Atlanta
The thing is that not all transplants are Notherners. Many would be more liberal to some extent compared to many areas of GA, even if they are fiscally conservative, but Atlanta also has transplants from many, many conservative Southern towns and from other conservative areas. People tend to think that is all Northerners moving to Atlanta, as if nobody is coming here from Tenn, FL, AL, SC, and other regional states - all of which incompass the most conservative region in the country.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The thing is that not all transplants are Notherners. Many would be more liberal to some extent compared to many areas of GA, even if they are fiscally conservative, but Atlanta also has transplants from many, many conservative Southern towns and from other conservative areas. People tend to think that is all Northerners moving to Atlanta, as if nobody is coming here from Tenn, FL, AL, SC, and other regional states - all of which incompass the most conservative region in the country.

Well, Atlanta is also a hotspot for people leaving the Chicago metro and Michigan, not sure what their political alignments are though.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM

144 posts, read 331,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I can't speak for fact, but I think once Dems move here, they tend to move to Conservative views once they've lived here for a while. There's a reason why it's so attractive to move here!
It's also why I, and another friend, are moving to Austin in the span of 12 months. I'm sick of the stifling, suffocating conservatism.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
It's also why I, and another friend, are moving to Austin in the span of 12 months. I'm sick of the stifling, suffocating conservatism.
Well, if you want a college town, liberal atmosphere, Athens is right down the road.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM

826 posts, read 3,122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The black community has blindly followed the Democrats for 40 years, since the Kennedy/Johnson era, when it was the Democrats who pushed through civil rights legislation like the voting rights act. The problem is that many in the black community don't take the time to think through the effects many failed liberal policies have had. Many of those policies have hurt that community instead of helping it. It's also interesting that many blacks (especially southern blacks) say they don't agree with the social policies of the moveon.org types but continue to vote for them in near monolithic numbers.
This is insulting. Many black people vote democrat because of their platform. Additionally its your opinion that liberal policies have failed the African American community, but others may feel differently. Finally no one party is perfect, there are many people who vote republican who do not agree everything the party tends to stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta