Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, you should have rephrased it. Here's one possible way you could have said it:

"Republicans can't enjoy their dinner unless they know someone else is going hungry."

Wow! And I thought that Democrats were supposed to be the warm & fuzzy, tolerant, non-judgmental people as compared to the cold, uncaring, and unfeeling evil Republicans! Well, what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Many have the false impression that GA is red because of voters outside of Atlanta...the truth is that the lion's share of the red vote comes from the suburbs on the north side of the Atlanta metro area, an area considered one of the most politically conservative in the country (next to Orange Co, CA). I see GA going even more red in the near future. And it's also folly to think the typical red voter in GA is a member of the religious right...more likely, they are voting with their pocketbook, with tax reform foremost on their mind.
The CS Monitor's Patchwork Nation (http://www.csmonitor.com/patchworknation/ - broken link) site is an interesting place to find county-by-county voting tendencies.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 PM

297 posts, read 1,539,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
It's very simple:

Black people are mostly relatively poor or at least have family members, friends, or ancestors who are poor or were poor not so long ago.

Democrats care about poor people, Republicans don't.

I wouldn't say they are the blind ones, the blind ones are the many poor white folks who continue to vote Republican for religious reasons even though nothing is really going to change in that regard (abortion, schools), when in fact on the issues that do matter and do get changed all the time the poor folk white or black are the ones getting screwed (sons dying in war, rich getting richer while poor get poorer economic policies).
This is one of the most insulting things I have read in a long time. How many groups could you insult at one time? First, you start out by insulting blacks. You say blacks are "mostly relatively poor". There are many educated blacks who do quite well for themselves and for their families. It blows my mind that you can just broad stroke an entire group of people. Onto the Republicans.... that comment is so crazy it does not even warrant a response. You also insult religious people. I am not an extremely religious person, but I would never insult somebody else's religion. For those that are extremely religious, that is the most insulting thing you could do. Also, The thought process that things will never change so we should not care is ludicrious (aside from the fact that some of these things are changing). Also, who are you to say what the important issues are? The beauty of this country is that we are all free to discuss what the issues are and work on a way to resolve them!

In all seriousness, if you have such a problem with capitalism (some insanely wealthy people and some extremely poor people), why not leave the United States and go live in a Communist county? They can redistribute wealth very nicely for you.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
It's very simple:

Black people are mostly relatively poor or at least have family members, friends, or ancestors who are poor or were poor not so long ago.

Democrats care about poor people, Republicans don't.

I wouldn't say they are the blind ones, the blind ones are the many poor white folks who continue to vote Republican for religious reasons even though nothing is really going to change in that regard (abortion, schools), when in fact on the issues that do matter and do get changed all the time the poor folk white or black are the ones getting screwed (sons dying in war, rich getting richer while poor get poorer economic policies).
I won't hop on the bandwagon and take on each of your wacky assertions. I'll just say that you have some challenges with the facts. You obviously need to get out more and meet some real people instead of typing on your computer.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM

297 posts, read 1,539,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Some of us pay the same chunk of change you did and we're still of the mindset that we SHOULD allow the government to assist the poor.
I think that this is huge difference between social liberal and conservatives. Liberals think that the government is the most efficient/effective mechanism for helping the poor while conservatives think that this is better left for the private/non-profit (i.e. charities) sector. As has been mentioned before, if you feel that you are not paying enough taxes, you can "donate" to the IRS. However, very few people actually do that (I wish that I could locate the actual numbers for this). I personally perfer to donate to the charity of my choice.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
I think that this is huge difference between social liberal and conservatives. Liberals think that the government is the most efficient/effective mechanism for helping the poor while conservatives think that this is better left for the private/non-profit (i.e. charities) sector. As has been mentioned before, if you feel that you are not paying enough taxes, you can "donate" to the IRS. However, very few people actually do that (I wish that I could locate the actual numbers for this). I personally perfer to donate to the charity of my choice.
A very good explanation. Warren Buffet claims his secretary tax rate is more than his $100K salary.

I don't see that but lets say it true. He's welcome to write a check every year if he wishes, but does not! Does he help the world? Yes, but all his donations go to the Bill Gates AIDS foundation. Not here in the U.S. where he has made his money.

And his tax rate on his income is mostly 15% thru the dividends. If he gets his wish, Obama/Hillary both said last night they would raise capital gains tax.

Meaning...you retirement (for those of us w/o pensions) investments in 401K and IRA will go up (not including ROTH). From 15% to 20% and possibly 28%.

If this happens, I will most likely move my money as that is a ANOTHER big hit. I don't make alot of money, but I make good money and more than many, but that will kind of null the advantages of investing.

Every time capital gains has been cut, govt. revenue has increase, this revenue can go to your social programs as it does now.

MY OPINION

Last edited by gt6974a; 04-17-2008 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
This is insulting. Many black people vote democrat because of their platform. Additionally its your opinion that liberal policies have failed the African American community, but others may feel differently. Finally no one party is perfect, there are many people who vote republican who do not agree everything the party tends to stand for.
Not to debate, but this was on the TV show '30 rock' tonight when Baldwin (the a-typical corporate right winger) asked Tracy Morgan (the black, leftist) to join the GOP for the race and do commercials.

I won't go into the dialogue (<----spell check is call this a mis-spelling, I look it up for confirmation) as I'm constantly called names on here but it spoke to the stereotype, whether it was right/wrong, but goes to show there is that mentality in todays culture.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:40 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Wow! And I thought that Democrats were supposed to be the warm & fuzzy, tolerant, non-judgmental people as compared to the cold, uncaring, and unfeeling evil Republicans! Well, what do I know?
I'm not a democrat.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not a democrat.

So what gives with the incredibly judgmental comment?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
So what gives with the incredibly judgmental comment?
It made me laugh when I heard it. I think when you hear that one you're supposed to picture someone like this:

(Obscenely wealthy former Exxon CEO/slimeball, Lee Raymond)

Obviously, none of those types of statements are true.

Take the one that goes something like this:

"Young people who are republicans have no heart, old people who are democrats have no brains."

False.

They're just slogans. Sometimes they're funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta