U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,010 posts, read 3,504,190 times
Reputation: 2653

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Yup. Bear in mind that a huge fraction of this movement is young, unserious people who haven't yet really figured out why anyone would want to live in the suburbs.
Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Jupiter, FL
1,640 posts, read 2,329,222 times
Reputation: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Oh I see you want Midtown's Residential corridors to cater to commuters (Juniper is lined almost exclusively with mid to high density residential and is zoned as such as a transition to the Historic Midtown neighborhood). What street do you live on and why can't we turn it into a commuter superhighway?
Wrong! Juniper was a commuter street that only recently became overrun with residences. Why did people decide they wanted to live directly on a major commuter artery? "Television told me urban living is cool" is not a valid answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,590 posts, read 1,516,133 times
Reputation: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Yup. Bear in mind that a huge fraction of this movement is young, unserious people who haven't yet really figured out why anyone would want to live in the suburbs.
More hyperbole thrown in from yet another Florida troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,590 posts, read 1,516,133 times
Reputation: 3409
Some of you really don't want to come to terms with Atlanta's maturation as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,010 posts, read 3,504,190 times
Reputation: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Wrong! Juniper was a commuter street that only recently became overrun with residences. Why did people decide they wanted to live directly on a major commuter artery? "Television told me urban living is cool" is not a valid answer.
Bull****. Residential development has existed on Juniper for the better part of a century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,520,960 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post

And it is not hyperbole - cyclists comprise 1% of commuters in Atlanta, and the stated goal of this 1% is to make it virtually impossible to get around in a car.
The reason it's hyperbole AND a lie, is because you said: "cyclists have the selfish mentality that others should be inconvenienced or coerced (not to mention grossed out) so 1% of the commuters can have the roads to themselves."

Cyclists won't be getting "the roads to themselves." You were lying to all of us when you typed that. At most, cyclists will get one lane. Cars can still have the other lanes.

You overplayed your hand and now you have no credibility on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 12:59 PM
 
362 posts, read 293,757 times
Reputation: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Bull****. Residential development has existed on Juniper for the better part of a century.
Amen, and millennials haven't decided to live in the city because they saw it on TV. They grew up in the burbs chained to cars and realized there must be a better way then spending a large part of one's life isolated in a car on one's commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 01:09 PM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,520,960 times
Reputation: 7568
Folks, keep in mind that the loudest contingent of the car only crowd is mostly a bunch of people that are desperate to get some time away from their families, and commuting in their cars is their only opportunity. It's the only time in their entire lives that they get to listen to their favorite music or have some quiet time, without being annoyed by their kids or spouses. But then, as soon as they get in the car, out come the cell phones, so they're still connected to what they were hoping to get a break from. This is one of the reasons why there are so many zombified sad-sacks out there on the roads. I'm convinced of this, but I know nobody will cop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 01:11 PM
 
207 posts, read 249,497 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The reason it's hyperbole AND a lie, is because you said: "cyclists have the selfish mentality that others should be inconvenienced or coerced (not to mention grossed out) so 1% of the commuters can have the roads to themselves."

Cyclists won't be getting "the roads to themselves." You were lying to all of us when you typed that. At most, cyclists will get one lane. Cars can still have the other lanes.

You overplayed your hand and now you have no credibility on this topic.
You have no reading comprehension. Please don't waste my time responding to my posts. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 PM
 
207 posts, read 249,497 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Amen, and millennials haven't decided to live in the city because they saw it on TV. They grew up in the burbs chained to cars and realized there must be a better way then spending a large part of one's life isolated in a car on one's commute.
As a millennial, I can attest that millennials who want a non-auto commute don't live in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top