Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which areas are more diverse and have good schools?
douglasville-douglas county 2 9.52%
snellville/lawrenceville-gwinnett county 19 90.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 15,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichaelmd View Post
Greetings,
I grew up about 45 miles north of Cincy and know exactly what you're talking about. I used to love reading about the Klan rallies downtown with the crosses, etc., on MLK Jr. day.

Have you made your mind up yet about where to move? My family and I are in a similar boat, although we'll definitely be in the Western reaches of the metro area. My wife and I are both bi-racial and we have a son who will be in Kindergarten this coming Fall. We want the same diversity he experiences now in Jacksonville, FL, but are dubious about what we'll find in the Carrollton/Villa Rica area. I am also in the medical field and have taken a position at Tanner Medical Center in Carrollton. We will likely buy a home in one of two areas in Carrollton, but may consider Mirror Lake in Villa Rica for the apparent diversity (and closer proximity to ATL).

That said, good luck and please let us know what you choose to do! My wife and I are always looking to network!

Regards,
PMMD
Hi,
I saw where you put you were thinking about moving to Carrollton. If it is diversity you want you will not find it there. It is a very small county with not alot of different ethnic. We have lived here for 10 years and if you are looking for a safe place to live with good schools and where your children will not have alot of problems with their race Roswell, SandySprings,Marietta,Peachtreecity,Cowetta are good places to look into. It is difficult in Georgia to find a city that will be excepting of different races. we have 4 biracial children, and they have not had too many problems but alot of it has to do with you live. Be careful on your choice. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM

57 posts, read 263,106 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist70 View Post
Hi,
I saw where you put you were thinking about moving to Carrollton. If it is diversity you want you will not find it there. It is a very small county with not alot of different ethnic. We have lived here for 10 years and if you are looking for a safe place to live with good schools and where your children will not have alot of problems with their race Roswell, SandySprings,Marietta,Peachtreecity,Cowetta are good places to look into. It is difficult in Georgia to find a city that will be excepting of different races. we have 4 biracial children, and they have not had too many problems but alot of it has to do with you live. Be careful on your choice. Good luck!
Unfortunately, I don't have much choice as I took a position at Tanner Medical and have to live within 20 minutes of the hospital for call reasons. That leaves me with Carrollton and Villa Rica. If we buy, it will be at Oak Mountain Golf. If we build, Stonegate Farms. Do you know anything about these two developments?

Cheers,
PMMD

Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
As the metro area continues to grow, limited space will ultimately force people to live amongst each other. For now, people are still able to seek or avoid diversity. If you choose someplace like Carrollton, it may become more diverse in 5 or 10 years. Or you could look at places like Kennesaw, Marietta, Roswell--areas that are increasing in diversity right now.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Conservative Dunwoody and other Northern Atl places are the best. My marriage is an interracial marriage and we feel comfortable in many of the conservative, but educated cities and neigbhorhoods in the US. I dont think they are racist because they are conservative, in fact I know it isnt so.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Certainly no one's suggesting that Dunwoody or Sandy Springs or Alpharetta are "racist". We are a Black/White family and would live in either city. At the same time, educated folks can be and sometimes are problematic for interracial couples and families.

A couple of reasons I wouldn't reduce this down to conservative vs. liberal is because (1) a conservative and educated city like Orem, UT is likely going to be a problem for many interracial families, while a liberal and educated city like Burlington, VT might be also. It really does depend on the people. Point being, conservative but educated is great, but the reality for interracial families is that we really do have to raise these questions before relocating anywhere.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Certainly no one's suggesting that Dunwoody or Sandy Springs or Alpharetta are "racist". We are a Black/White family and would live in either city. At the same time, educated folks can be and sometimes are problematic for interracial couples and families.

A couple of reasons I wouldn't reduce this down to conservative vs. liberal is because (1) a conservative and educated city like Orem, UT is likely going to be a problem for many interracial families, while a liberal and educated city like Burlington, VT might be also. It really does depend on the people. Point being, conservative but educated is great, but the reality for interracial families is that we really do have to raise these questions before relocating anywhere.
That is soooo true! When we transfered to Georgia our main concern was how our children would be treated. Some people down here still make it quite clear on their feelings on innerracial marriages. I like where we live, but there are some counties that I have warned my teenagers not to set foot in for fear of what might happen to them. The culture is defintley different but I think if you are careful you can find a more excepting enviroment.
Take care

Old 01-12-2007, 04:19 PM

When some of you move here let me know.My husband and I would like to meet other inneracial couples.Since living here we have only met one.It is just nice to be able to talk with others that have the same concerns, issues, and things in common.
Take care

Old 01-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Certainly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist70 View Post
When some of you move here let me know.My husband and I would like to meet other inneracial couples.Since living here we have only met one.It is just nice to be able to talk with others that have the same concerns, issues, and things in common.
Take care
We'll be over in the apparently not-so-diverse 'burbs of Carrollton, but would love to make contacts. I suppose we aren't technically an interracial couple as my wife and I are biracial, but we are both products of interracial couples and know the issues.

Cheers,
PMMD

Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichaelmd View Post
Jewel,
Perhaps I should be asking you the same questions. Do you know much about Villa Rica, specifically Mirror Lakes, or Carrollton? We, too, are looking for diversity. Additionally, I note that you are also a healthcare professional. Anything you can share about Tanner Health Systems or Tanner Medical Center in Carrollton? I'm trying to see just what I've gotten myself into there

Thanks,
PMMD
Hi, sorry I didn't post a response earlier, I get lost sometimes trying to keep up with so many threads I like to respond to on this forum. I have some friends out on Mirror Lake, used to spend plenty of weekends out there. I never wanted to leave when Monday came. I don't know if it was the peacefulness of the lake, or that my friends have an 11,000 sq ft home, and I had my own room and bath!! Then a view from almost every part of the house, since the back of it faced the lake. Seems somewhat diverse, but not overly so. Douglasville is pretty diverse though.

Anyway...Mirror Lake is nice, and also neighboring Terra Lake, another lake home community. It's rather far out though, I don't know how close you want to be to Atlanta, but you're looking at a good 45 minutes into town. It's in an area called Vill Rica off 20 west. My friends custom built their home, and it's worth about $650k, but like I said, custom built. I don't think that reflects the true home prices in that subdivision (Fairfield Plantation) or in that area, even, as I think they overbuilt for their neighborhood. Even though it's far out, you have neighboring Carrollton and Douglasville. Those are small, not really much going on towns, but developing slowly. There's one main mall called Arbor Place off 20. I like a big city feel, so those areas wouldn't be for me.

Now about Tanner Healthcare...can't really give a lot of info on that. My friends on Mirror Lake, the husband is a doctor and the wife an OR nurse. I think the doctor has had a contract with Tanner for years, and I never heard him complain. They worked in both Carrollton and Douglasville. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
Hi, sorry I didn't post a response earlier, I get lost sometimes trying to keep up with so many threads I like to respond to on this forum. I have some friends out on Mirror Lake, used to spend plenty of weekends out there. I never wanted to leave when Monday came. I don't know if it was the peacefulness of the lake, or that my friends have an 11,000 sq ft home, and I had my own room and bath!! Then a view from almost every part of the house, since the back of it faced the lake. Seems somewhat diverse, but not overly so. Douglasville is pretty diverse though.

Anyway...Mirror Lake is nice, and also neighboring Terra Lake, another lake home community. It's rather far out though, I don't know how close you want to be to Atlanta, but you're looking at a good 45 minutes into town. It's in an area called Vill Rica off 20 west. My friends custom built their home, and it's worth about $650k, but like I said, custom built. I don't think that reflects the true home prices in that subdivision (Fairfield Plantation) or in that area, even, as I think they overbuilt for their neighborhood. Even though it's far out, you have neighboring Carrollton and Douglasville. Those are small, not really much going on towns, but developing slowly. There's one main mall called Arbor Place off 20. I like a big city feel, so those areas wouldn't be for me.

Now about Tanner Healthcare...can't really give a lot of info on that. My friends on Mirror Lake, the husband is a doctor and the wife an OR nurse. I think the doctor has had a contract with Tanner for years, and I never heard him complain. They worked in both Carrollton and Douglasville. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Definitely a help. I think we are going to end up in Carrollton proper as I have to be within 20 minutes of the medical center and that makes it easiest. I will just have to resign myself to driving into Douglasville when I want a good bookstore or the mall. I can save trips into ATL for the weekends.

Mirror Lake seemed really nice, but a lot of the big homes were on half-acre lots and right on top of one another. I think I'd prefer a little more space if I had a 7000 sq ft home.

Again, thanks!

PMMD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta