Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times

Advertisements

I came across this by accident today. It is a map of Atlanta's core from 1919 which at that time was basically the extent of the city. I found it truly fascinating. The thickness of the central business district below Five Points is incredible. It really shows what's been lost but it also shows what still remains. It's almost as if the core evaporated and the city dispersed. A lot of the skyscrapers are impressive today but I still wish more of the older lower buildings had survived. If this has been posted before, I'm sorry. I searched and tried to locate it but it returned no results. I feel it deserves to be seen.

Click it to blow it up.
http://www.bigmapblog.com/maps/map_d...ilWXFMkplw.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Wow that is cool. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:29 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
That is pretty cool. But, when you said 3D, I expected some sort of fly-around map. I almost went from six to midnight. But, still...really neat to look at.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:11 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Wow. Oglethorpe and Emory were out in the boonies back then.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I came across this by accident today. It is a map of Atlanta's core from 1919 which at that time was basically the extent of the city. I found it truly fascinating. The thickness of the central business district below Five Points is incredible. It really shows what's been lost but it also shows what still remains. It's almost as if the core evaporated and the city dispersed. A lot of the skyscrapers are impressive today but I still wish more of the older lower buildings had survived. If this has been posted before, I'm sorry. I searched and tried to locate it but it returned no results. I feel it deserves to be seen.

Click it to blow it up.
http://www.bigmapblog.com/maps/map_d...ilWXFMkplw.jpg
Oh yeah, It is such a shame how South Downtown has been gutted for underused surface parking lots:

“Paving decisions” in Atlanta

Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That is pretty cool. But, when you said 3D, I expected some sort of fly-around map. I almost went from six to midnight. But, still...really neat to look at.
I'm sorry, I guess 3D wasn't a good word but I didn't know what to call it. 2D I guess?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Oh yeah, It is such a shame how South Downtown has been gutted for underused surface parking lots:

And also the construction of the Garnett MARTA station resulted in still more plus damage to the street grid. The entire middle section of Garnett Street was cut out. It looks like it could be theoretically rebuilt though.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Historic detailed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Oh, what a shame to see how much of the old bones in that specific south downtown area have been lost!
I spotted "Garnett" amongst the streets in the old view. I commute via MARTA's north-south line every day & the thought struck me that if the Garnett area could somehow still be as densely built as it was 100 years ago, the tragically-underutilized Garnett St. Marta Station wouldn't now be akin to something like a morgue.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Oh, what a shame to see how much of the old bones in that specific south downtown area have been lost!
I spotted "Garnett" amongst the streets in the old view. I commute via MARTA's north-south line every day & the thought struck me that if the Garnett area could somehow still be as densely built as it was 100 years ago, the tragically-underutilized Garnett St. Marta Station wouldn't now be akin to something like a morgue.
It is kinda sad. There isn't much around the Garnett station to go to. Back when all this was happening, interstates were being carved through all American cities and cities were trying to accommodate commuters. Downtown was still the center of the area's economy in the 50's and 60's and that's why a lot of these lots were built. Now that a lot of activity is generated further north they aren't needed as much. On the plus side, while downtown thinned, Midtown expanded and so did Buckhead. Still would've been nice to keep most of this, downtown as a skyline would be truly SICK (in the good way).

Old 07-15-2016, 11:12 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
I will say, watch South Downtown over the next decade. I think the Underground redevelopment may be just the thing to kick this area off.

It is almost the perfect canvas for redevelopment projects. Great street grid, transit coverage, central location. Some great historic buildings to renovate both large and small and plenty of "green field" sites (parking lots) to do new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta